The Student Room Group

Another UMS Inquiry

--------
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by studyblr_mr
So I never considered applying to Oxbridge before my AS level results came out. I got 4As and the UMS of the 3 subjects I am going to be taking on are as follows:

History: 185/200
Politics: 184/200
German: 183/200

(So basically my UMS average is about 92%)

Would these be below the average of a typical successful Oxbridge applicant? I am planning to apply for joint history and german.

Also I feel there is very little difference between the courses at Oxford and Cambridge so do you think there is one that I would have more chance of getting into than the other based on my results?

(At GCSE I got 6A*s and 4As)

I would like to attempt Oxbridge but I am also worried that my slight shyness will let me down if I got an interview. I think I would be fine being taught in tutorials because one of my classes has only 3 in it so I am used to small groups but I am worried I would freeze up at the interview.

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford doesn't get your UMS as standard (and it's therefore not a big factor for them), only Cambridge does.

Yes your UMS would be competitive for Cambridge and you are almost certain to be called for interview. The interviewers are VERY used to dealing with shy candidates and they do try to put you at your ease.

What was your 4th AS? If the UMS is higher it will be counted in their averages even if you drop it for the full A-level. (Not that averages are important.)
Reply 2
------
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending