The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

live in halls or nah?

So i went through clearing and got into goldsmiths to study economics, politics and public policy which is in london.

It would take me 1 hour 15 mins by train to get there or i could live in halls which are 156 pounds a week (loring hall)

I am mainly worried about not having nice flat mates and not making friends.

i am also worried about not getting enough work done due to all the nights out if i lived at halls

would i still be able to make friends if i live at home?
Halls everyday, even if my uni was a 20 min bus away I would move out. You will want to off yourself having to take an hour train every day and I hear it's harder to make friends if your not in halls
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Depends, what you're comfortable with and your circumstances really...
you can still make friends, from your classes and from societies/gyms and more, that is if that is your worry of course.

If you want the experience then move out and see and always move back home, if you don't like it.

What are you worried about?? what are you comparing them to??
Original post by Honeystone
Halls everyday, even if my uni was a 20 min bus away I would move out. You will want to off yourself having to take an hour train every day and I hear it's harder to make friends if your not in halls

Why would you move out if your 20 mins away, that is just a waste of money and putting yourself in more debt there is no maintenance grant anymore...it's a loan why are going to do that?

Also, you can make friends outside of halls and just because you're in halls doesn't mean that you will gain friends straight off. You can join societies, clubs, sports, gyms etc. So halls will or not, will not make it harder or easier.
My uni is only 20 minutes away from my house so I'm staying at home. Lots of people however still choose to live in halls even if they live nearby to uni. I wouldn't say you live nearby to your uni. It would drive me mad to make an hour commute everyday, however if you think you can handle it go for it as you will save money on accommodation. You may also save time with things like cooking giving you more time to focus on your course.
Reply 5
The thing is is that at home i am comfortable my parents are pretty chill. I am just worried about not making friends and not having a social life if i stay at home
Reply 6
and then im also worried about if my flatmates arent nice and i dont make friends there and then i am trapped.

also is it possible to get work done in halls or is it always loud?
Original post by GCSEgirl13
The thing is is that at home i am comfortable my parents are pretty chill. I am just worried about not making friends and not having a social life if i stay at home

There are societies, events and clubs that will be going at all and i repeat ALLLLL unis, that means that you will be able to make friends there if you go out there and try; I know it's harder than it sounds but it's true hehehe. You don't have to live in halls to make friends uless you want to kay kay. I will be living at home next year, unless I go bath, and I'm also scared especially as im a shy, reserve *goes off* but will try and see what happens and try my best rather than move into halls and have an anxiety attack!!!!

Original post by GCSEgirl13
and then im also worried about if my flatmates arent nice and i dont make friends there and then i am trapped.

also is it possible to get work done in halls or is it always loud?

That is possible, man you sound like me aways stressing and worrying but hey, do!! If go uni you might some horrible ppl in societies, events, clubs, class and more. Are you going to stop going uni? if no then YOU WILL BE FINEEEEEE!!

trust me!!!:smile::smile:
If it's within budget, halls are good. You'll learn to manage things for yourself better. If it's not to your taste, you can always move back home for year 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending