The Student Room Group

Which A2 unit: S2 or M1?

I have a week before I have to confirm my Year 13 choices and I'm still unsure which Maths module I should take.
Admittedly I struggled with S1 (came out with 84 UMS overall, looking to resit) and after speaking to my teachers they seem to think I work better with algebraic based maths, but would it be better to do S2 simply because I already have knowledge of Stats? Is M1 really as difficult as people make it out to be? Help!!
Original post by romakaji
I have a week before I have to confirm my Year 13 choices and I'm still unsure which Maths module I should take.
Admittedly I struggled with S1 (came out with 84 UMS overall, looking to resit) and after speaking to my teachers they seem to think I work better with algebraic based maths, but would it be better to do S2 simply because I already have knowledge of Stats? Is M1 really as difficult as people make it out to be? Help!!

Just learn both. Pick S2 as the official choice but do M1 in your own time as your backup perhaps? Who knows which one you'd find easier in this situation.
Reply 2
Id say M1. I personally got 90 in FP3 but only 77 in S2 (although I got 100 in s1), so I certainly struggled with it I guess.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would say S2 as I managed to learn it 2 days before the exam and get an A!

lol
What are your other subjects? If you've done physics at AS/ doing it at A2, M1 is mostly a walk in the park if your algebra is up to scratch, imo.

I do have to admit though, S2 is also very easy to score high in, but for example in aqa, the grade boundaries are very, very high.

So if you usually don't get close to 70 or more on past papers, id suggest M1.
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
lol

I worded this wrong lol. I was very happy with my result but I wanted a higher UMS in S1.
Reply 7
Original post by MahuduElec
What are your other subjects? If you've done physics at AS/ doing it at A2, M1 is mostly a walk in the park if your algebra is up to scratch, imo.

I do have to admit though, S2 is also very easy to score high in, but for example in aqa, the grade boundaries are very, very high.

So if you usually don't get close to 70 or more on past papers, id suggest M1.

English Literature and Classics, so not exactly a science fan lmao. Do you think this would set me back in M1?
English Literature and Classics, so not exactly a science fan lmao. Do you think this would set me back in M1?

S2 is definitely easier than S1 as an overall consensus.
Reply 9
I would only do Mechanics if you're taking Physics, if not, definitely do Statistics
M1 definitely. Pretty easy.

Then go for S2, the majority of people in my fm who struggled with m1/m2 didn't do physics. Not to say you will, but it seems more likely.

Quick Reply

Latest