The Student Room Group

Not sure if I can do A-Level Maths

So basically I got my GCSEs yesterday, I had overall A's and B's but the only C I had was in Maths. I was one mark off a B. I went on the day of my results and spoke with the Maths teacher at college and he is on the borderline of letting me on the course and not letting me do the course. I'm rather annoyed with myself and I've been sad for the last 2 days.

Basically what I want to find out is if there is anything I can do? I need A-Level Maths because I'm doing Physics and Computer Science and want to do Programming as a career. I know without a doubt that I could do well in A-Level Maths. I'm mad at myself for not revising and paying enough attention at GCSE but now I feel like my life is screwed up.
Reply 1
Original post by innermight
So basically I got my GCSEs yesterday, I had overall A's and B's but the only C I had was in Maths. I was one mark off a B. I went on the day of my results and spoke with the Maths teacher at college and he is on the borderline of letting me on the course and not letting me do the course. I'm rather annoyed with myself and I've been sad for the last 2 days.

Basically what I want to find out is if there is anything I can do? I need A-Level Maths because I'm doing Physics and Computer Science and want to do Programming as a career. I know without a doubt that I could do well in A-Level Maths. I'm mad at myself for not revising and paying enough attention at GCSE but now I feel like my life is screwed up.

What happened in the exam? Didn't read questions properly?

How do you know without doubt you could do well in A Level maths? You'd be expected to build off A* GCSE topics - which is problematic if you couldn't do them in the first place.

I wouldn't recommend doing it with a C grade. I know it's not what you want to here, but the odds aren't great at all. At a lot of sixth forms it's usually A for Maths A Level and A* for FM. It's hopeful that your teacher is at least considering you.

Many schools require a GCSE grade A for admission to A level Maths course -
Reply 4
Original post by Rajive
What happened in the exam? Didn't read questions properly?

I think I was just over thinking stuff and panicking intensely, teachers had to keep coming over and tell me to calm down, I feel a bit like a knob.

Original post by Muttley79
Many schools require a GCSE grade A for admission to A level Maths course -

My college requires B at GCSE and considering I was one mark off it I'm rather annoyed at myself for it seeing as my teacher was expecting me to get an A in GCSE Maths.
I wouldn't recommend doing it with a C. One of my friends who did A-Level Maths dropped out half way through the year and he got C at GCSE. Does your college offer Core Maths? It would be a great idea to take that up if you wanted to study a Mathematical subject. It also depends on what university you want to go to, some university will accept you without maths as you have computer science, and with you taking physics that will help alot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ollie1024
I wouldn't recommend doing it with a C. One of my friends who did A-Level Maths dropped out half way through the year and he got C at GCSE. Does your college offer Core Maths? It would be a great idea to take that up if you wanted to study a Mathematical subject. It also depends on what university you want to go to, some university will accept you without maths as you have computer science, and with you taking physics that will help alot.

It doesn't matter anymore, I don't really want to go to college anymore.
Reply 7

You don't need A-level maths to secure yourself a degree in computer science or software engineering. Yes, it obviously would make your life a lot more easy when applying, and a lot more universities with A-level maths requirements would accept you, but it's not a total necessity. A lot of good universities don't require maths for software engineering/computer science e.g. Queen mary, Kent, Leeds, ect.... Don't give up because you can't take maths at A-level, and if you really do feel that bad about your C in GCSE maths, just retake the exam. It's £30 and you have nothing to lose anyways.

Well that was a quick decision in an hour, but glad I could help anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest