The Student Room Group

Is anyone already stressed about A levels?!?

The idea of having finished GCSEs is so daunting and... foreign. I already have SO much bridging work to do and I just started (having only a WEEK to go until school starts- super late). I'm taking : English literature, Sociology, Government + Politics and RS. I'm so panicked and have already noticed the difference between GCSE and A level (the work load is also terribly excessive). My GCSE were kind of disappointing due to the fact I didn't really revise (2 A*, 2 A,3 B, 6 C, 2D) therefore I'm hoping to literally SLAY A levels; a task that's difficult but nevertheless achievable. I want to go to a prestigious university although I'm still in the dark about what I'd like to do (maybe something to do with literature because I'm so passionate about it!!).
My point is, I want to succeed and I'd like to get some tips on current or past A levels students. How did you revise? Just anything that could be useful to be honest. Also GCSE students who are doing A level can also enlighten me about their situation!
Many thanks X
No first year is hella chill, imo I was more relaxed this year than GCSES
same...i enrolled yesterday and just so anxious about the work.
Original post by OddFuturez
No first year is hella chill, imo I was more relaxed this year than GCSES

but first year counts and hard work doesn't just come the night before the exam... I'd rather revise the whole year and relax in summer lol
Original post by sagelolz
The idea of having finished GCSEs is so daunting and... foreign. I already have SO much bridging work to do and I just started (having only a WEEK to go until school starts- super late). I'm taking : English literature, Sociology, Government + Politics and RS. I'm so panicked and have already noticed the difference between GCSE and A level (the work load is also terribly excessive). My GCSE were kind of disappointing due to the fact I didn't really revise (2 A*, 2 A,3 B, 6 C, 2D) therefore I'm hoping to literally SLAY A levels; a task that's difficult but nevertheless achievable. I want to go to a prestigious university although I'm still in the dark about what I'd like to do (maybe something to do with literature because I'm so passionate about it!!).
My point is, I want to succeed and I'd like to get some tips on current or past A levels students. How did you revise? Just anything that could be useful to be honest. Also GCSE students who are doing A level can also enlighten me about their situation!
Many thanks X

I have done AS didnt do as well, so I have a chance to resit year 12 at a good school with different subjects. Im nervous tho because it will be another new environement
don't worry, I am in the exact same position as you... all this summer I have been stressing about the upcoming workload and my mental health tbh... I have been hearing that limiting your social life and social media to as little as possible may prevent you from all those distractions throughout the day when you could be revising hard. I think you need to invest in CGP "bridging the gap between GCSE and A level......." books for a more confident start to your A levels, that's what I have done anyway. I too want to get into a prestigious university, but its all about the grades and extra qualifications that make your application stand out and unique to others.
hope you feel better about your situation xx
Yeah, well I did RS and Lit too so all I can really say is don't leave it all for a week before. For Literature, read the books properly- you'll need to know what's where for the exams- and read loads of exemplars so you understand the skills you're required to show. I still managed to get As in both though so I guess my advice makes sense. Oh, and, for Literature, you should probably plan questions that might come up so you'll already have points in mind (that might even be transferable to other questions).
Btw, GCSE stuff isn't that much of an indicator because I didn't do GCSE RE and for Literature and Language I got As, not A*s.
Good luck.
Reply 7
AS level isnt too bad, it a big jump but you'll manage. With A levels make sure you understand the content and not just memorise it or you will fail. guranteed.
Reply 8
In the first year, you need to try to get the highest grades you can so that you have something to fall back on, and also so that you can afford to drop more marks in the harder year 2 exams.
Reply 9
I'm doing English lit, politics and RS too!! (and maths) :biggrin:
Original post by aurorashpo
same...i enrolled yesterday and just so anxious about the work.

me too even though we dont have as many subjects, the work is so much
Original post by alicepalacexx
don't worry, I am in the exact same position as you... all this summer I have been stressing about the upcoming workload and my mental health tbh... I have been hearing that limiting your social life and social media to as little as possible may prevent you from all those distractions throughout the day when you could be revising hard. I think you need to invest in CGP "bridging the gap between GCSE and A level......." books for a more confident start to your A levels, that's what I have done anyway. I too want to get into a prestigious university, but its all about the grades and extra qualifications that make your application stand out and unique to others.
hope you feel better about your situation xx

im seriously thinking about deleting social media and ill definitely check out the CGP, thanks
Original post by RogerFedora
Yeah, well I did RS and Lit too so all I can really say is don't leave it all for a week before. For Literature, read the books properly- you'll need to know what's where for the exams- and read loads of exemplars so you understand the skills you're required to show. I still managed to get As in both though so I guess my advice makes sense. Oh, and, for Literature, you should probably plan questions that might come up so you'll already have points in mind (that might even be transferable to other questions).
Btw, GCSE stuff isn't that much of an indicator because I didn't do GCSE RE and for Literature and Language I got As, not A*s.
Good luck.

you got an A for english lit A level?! holy crap you must be gifted!!
Reply 13
I can't believe people are worried for A-levels, I'm sitting here extremely excited... Just the thought of studying the subjects I actually like brings me happiness. Can't wait till September.
Original post by Vyres
I can't believe people are worried for A-levels, I'm sitting here extremely excited... Just the thought of studying the subjects I actually like brings me happiness. Can't wait till September.

am i happy and satisfied over the subjects i took? yes but worrying is normal if you want to succeed. the subjects you took wont bring you hapiness if you fail them. fyi i also cant wait for september :h::h::h:
Original post by sagelolz
you got an A for english lit A level?! holy crap you must be gifted!!

At AS actually, :wink:. Lit isn't that deep at AS, Idk about A2.
Reply 16
I'm doing English lit, Sociology and History, I was going to take up Gov&politics but decided 4 subjects would be a bit much if i want to achieve the highest grades. My GCSEs didn't go so well either with 1A, 6Bs and 2Cs, I also want to go to a prestigious Russle group uni like UCL, but I'm afraid my GCSEs might hold me back a little so I'm stressing about A-levels as well and if can hack the work load and also achieve the highest grades possible.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest