The Student Room Group

Anyone that has done 4 A-levels

I'll be starting year 12 soon and doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths. I heard 4 AS subjects is no problem for most people, but what about 4 A-levels? I genuinely like all 4 of those subjects, but don't want to be overwhelmed and end up with a humanised blue screen of death.

How did you cope with them?

Did you get the grades you wanted?

Scroll to see replies

I did Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A2 plus AS/A2 FM at the same time, which is kind of different as Maths and Further Maths often feels like 1.5 subjects instead of 2. Maybe if I hadn't done Further Maths the B in Chemistry would have been an A but otherwise I met my target of A*AA(B). It was also my ISAs that let me down for both sciences rather than the exams themselves (AAAB in exams and BC in ISAs for physics and AABB and BD in Chem but those are kind of a thing of the past anyway)

It is slightly stressful when it comes to exam time and you're doing loads of past papers and having exams close to eachother, but otherwise through the year it's not bad and you don't have to sacrifice fun out of your life - just keep on top of things.

Also think about your uni choices and potential offers, and if you do not as well (eg AAAB) with the B in a subject you don't really need then.. cool. But you can decide that later anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I also want to do the same thing, I plan on studying Biology, Chemistry, Politics and English Lit and I can't see myself dropping any of them. But because mine don't really go together and two of them are essay based I'll probably have to drop one:frown:. But physics and maths go well together anyway so if you can work hard enough it should be ok
I can't really give a full answer here because I've only just finished my AS year, but I'll give a bit of insight.

I take 4 subjects (History, English Lit, Psyhology and Law) and will be continuing all 4 on to A2.
I'm also currently: doing an EPQ; working part time; have my horse that I have to see to every day; am studying for admissions tests and my driving theory test along with work for university schemes and online courses I chose to do, and surprisingly I do also have a social life!

I just got 4 As at AS. So while I haven't taken the full A level yet, I do have a similarly heavy workload and busy schedule.

If you are a motivated person who can manage their time properly and do the work, I imagine you'll be absolutely fine! But if you find you're struggling, please just drop one, keeping 4 on is not worth it if it means sacrificing a grade in a subject or something. Good luck! I hope it goes well for you 😊
Original post by SeanFM
I did Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A2 plus AS/A2 FM at the same time, which is kind of different as Maths and Further Maths often feels like 1.5 subjects instead of 2. Maybe if I hadn't done Further Maths the B in Chemistry would have been an A but otherwise I met my target of A*AA(B). It was also my ISAs that let me down for both sciences rather than the exams themselves (AAAB in exams and BC in ISAs for physics and AABB and BD in Chem but those are kind of a thing of the past anyway)

It is slightly stressful when it comes to exam time and you're doing loads of past papers and having exams close to eachother, but otherwise through the year it's not bad and you don't have to sacrifice fun out of your life - just keep on top of things.

Also think about your uni choices and potential offers, and if you do not as well (eg AAAB) with the B in a subject you don't really need then.. cool. But you can decide that later anyway.

But I bet you would have liked A*A*A*A*.

Original post by Arfaa
I also want to do the same thing, I plan on studying Biology, Chemistry, Politics and English Lit and I can't see myself dropping any of them. But because mine don't really go together and two of them are essay based I'll probably have to drop one:frown:. But physics and maths go well together anyway so if you can work hard enough it should be ok

You have a strange mix. My subjects do sort of compliment each other, but the step up to A2 for all four together could be really massive.

Original post by Gold-Confetti
I can't really give a full answer here because I've only just finished my AS year, but I'll give a bit of insight.

I take 4 subjects (History, English Lit, Psyhology and Law) and will be continuing all 4 on to A2.
I'm also currently: doing an EPQ; working part time; have my horse that I have to see to every day; am studying for admissions tests and my driving theory test along with work for university schemes and online courses I chose to do, and surprisingly I do also have a social life!

I just got 4 As at AS. So while I haven't taken the full A level yet, I do have a similarly heavy workload and busy schedule.

If you are a motivated person who can manage their time properly and do the work, I imagine you'll be absolutely fine! But if you find you're struggling, please just drop one, keeping 4 on is not worth it if it means sacrificing a grade in a subject or something. Good luck! I hope it goes well for you 😊

Wish I could shadow you for a day to see you juggle all those responsibilities. With your subjects...R.I.P writing hand.
Only person I know with A*A*A*A* is: @13 1 20 8 42
Reply 6
I'm going into A2 and with a heavy heart knew it was in my best interests to drop a subject.
Sometimes it's better to do less subjects as you've got more study time for each.
I got a D in my fourth subject (having said that I didn't revise a lot last year) and in hindsight I probably would've been better off doing 3. A lot of uni's only want 3 AS & A2 levels (save for certain, high in demand courses).
If you're highly motivated you can do it, just bear in mind the increased workload and how that could affect your other subjects.
I know it's hard to give a subject up, especially when you love all of them, but assuming you'll be going to university, it's unlikely that you'll find a degree that incorporates all 4 of your subjects. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ColossalAtom

Wish I could shadow you for a day to see you juggle all those responsibilities. With your subjects...R.I.P writing hand.

I honestly forget that I'm even doing it! It's way more impressive on paper than it is in practice.
Ah yes, the writing, during exam season I completely drained 2 bic biros, and my ring finger on my right hand has a permanent dent in it, but such is life!

Good luck starting A-Levels. Honestly they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Your life won't end, your grades won't suddenly drop from an A* to an E or any of the other crap people spout. Just make sure you up your work ethic (if you're anywhere near as lazy as I used to be anyway) and get a bit more efficient and it'll be totally fine!
I took 4 A2 levels this year, and got A*A*A*A in chemistry, further maths, maths and biology respectively, which was exactly what I was predicted and hoping for, and I'll be going to St Catz, Oxford to study Chemistry. In all honesty it didn't feel like *extra* work at all, more like I just had fewer free periods than everyone else during term time, and enjoying the subjects helps immensely.

At exam time, however, coping with 15 exams was difficult to say the least, with the final 2 weeks having around 9 exams. I did manage however, mainly with almost non-stop work since Easter, and although it was difficult, it was very much possible. In order to manage it all, I guess the key is to start early with past papers and remember that every day spent revising is another free day later on when you really need it
Best of luck with your studies :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, I did four A levels: Chemistry, Physics, Maths and FM after dropping Biology after AS. It wasn't too bad as Further Maths is just a continuation of Maths. I feel like your combination with three sciences would be a pretty heavy workload. I actually attempted to do all five but it just was so unnecessary and wasn't worth it, what with me doing an EPQ as well and no University caring beyond 4. Biology is very time consuming at A2 but that doesn't mean you can't continue with all of them. If you genuinely love Science you will have no problems as long as you revise consistently. See how ASs go and if by the end you still want to continue with them all then you can do it, just be efficient.
P.S. I ended up with 4 A*s and an a* in the EPQ.
Good Luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
I guess it depends on the subject choices. I did Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Computing in AS and decided to keep all 4 through to A-Level, but I dropped out of Computing after a few months due to mental health and other personal issues as I couldn't handle the workload on top of everything. At AS, the workload is somewhat tame, but at A-Level, if you're not prepared mentally then it can be too much. General advice: Doing one thing very well can be worth more than 2 things half-arsed each. PS: I got A*AB in Maths, Further Maths and Physics respectively and am going to Lancaster to study physics. I was professionally predicted and targeted A*A*A but some personal circumstances resulted in reduced performance.
(edited 7 years ago)
I can almost promise that you'll have a different perspective at the end of your AS year. It will likely be the case that you'll find there's one subject that you can't wait to drop. Don't bother stressing at this stage
Original post by AsianMetalhead
I took 4 A2 levels this year, and got A*A*A*A in chemistry, further maths, maths and biology respectively, which was exactly what I was predicted and hoping for, and I'll be going to St Catz, Oxford to study Chemistry. In all honesty it didn't feel like *extra* work at all, more like I just had fewer free periods than everyone else during term time, and enjoying the subjects helps immensely.

At exam time, however, coping with 15 exams was difficult to say the least, with the final 2 weeks having around 9 exams. I did manage however, mainly with almost non-stop work since Easter, and although it was difficult, it was very much possible. In order to manage it all, I guess the key is to start early with past papers and remember that every day spent revising is another free day later on when you really need it
Best of luck with your studies :smile:

Wow man, congratulations on your place at Oxford. But how was your social life at the time?

Original post by N.Tesla
Hi, I did four A levels: Chemistry, Physics, Maths and FM after dropping Biology after AS. It wasn't too bad as Further Maths is just a continuation of Maths. I feel like your combination with three sciences would be a pretty heavy workload. I actually attempted to do all five but it just was so unnecessary and wasn't worth it, what with me doing an EPQ as well and no University caring beyond 4. Biology is very time consuming at A2 but that doesn't mean you can't continue with all of them. If you genuinely love Science you will have no problems as long as you revise consistently. See how ASs go and if by the end you still want to continue with them all then you can do it, just be efficient.
P.S. I ended up with 4 A*s and an a* in the EPQ.
Good Luck!

I've been reading up on the AS part of Biology. It makes GCSE Biology look like rubble. Are you in uni now or are you going this year?
How was your social life during sixth form?
This is where all the clever people gather:tongue:
Wow man, congratulations on your place at Oxford. But how was your social life at the time?

I've been reading up on the AS part of Biology. It makes GCSE Biology look like rubble. Are you in uni now or are you going this year?

Thanks! :smile: I found myself free on some weekends, if not, at least Saturdays, and I'd say my social life wasn't really too impaired as I was still able to go out once or twice a month during exams, during term time I had plenty free time so yeah
I just finished my A2s and got AAAA in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature. It can be challenging but it's all about time management. Personally, I found that having more free periods made me work less (I dropped out of English for a bit) and so I picked it back up, it just kept me on the ball knowing I had deadlines to meet for each subject.
Also throughout the year I had a weekend job up until April there, and still managed to keep my grades steady.

I could've gotten higher for definite, and was predicted A*A*A*A*, but this wasn't because of the workload, it was other personal stuff.

But honestly, if you enjoy the subjects you do and you enjoy the work, then why drop it? Both keeping a subject on and dropping it have pros and cons, but they depend on the type of person you are and how you're motivated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ODES_PDES
This is where all the clever people gather:tongue:

You sound like a clever person too.
Reply 17
I did 5 A levels, maths, physics, chemistry, biology :frown: and did AS and A2 further maths in year 13. I found it ok it only felt like 4 A levels as SeanFM maths and FM isn't like 2 seperate A levels. I found it ok.
In fact maths was my favourite subject so it didn't feel like taking an A level like the others did, so it felt almost like I was only doing 3 A levels. If you enjoy your subjects then it doesn't seem like you're doing loads of work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
I did 5 A levels, maths, physics, chemistry, biology :frown: and did AS and A2 further maths in year 13. I found it ok it only felt like 4 A levels as SeanFM maths and FM isn't like 2 seperate A levels. I found it ok.

Such herculean tasks. What grades did you get? Are you going to uni this year?
Reply 19

AS Biology is significantly more work than GCSE but it's not impossible. I am starting University at Cambridge this year. Social life was fine, I still had time to go to parties and see friends but your combination would be a little more time consuming. My advice to you, if you do go through with doing 4 A levels, is to write notes on the courses as soon as possible when there is no pressure, learn them consistently throughout the year and add to them in class. That way by the time exam season arrives you just have to do past papers and you won't have the panic of learning content for four courses in May.
Again, as Science is very different at A level and the true nature of the subject becomes clear, you may want to drop one at the end of year 12 anyway. So in a years time if you still think this is what you want then go for it but do remember that some Universities will give offers based on four A levels if you are doing them. So your school may let you try out doing all four in September of year 13 and let you drop one before October if it is too much, that way there is no pressure to continue.

Good luck with everything and hope it goes well.

Quick Reply

Latest