The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Commuting from North London to Hertfordshire

I was wondering what the best travel route is from Enfield to Hertfordshire and what travel services would be required?
Hertfordshire is a county from borehamwood to st albans to Welwyn so you need to be more specific
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Uno use the 610 route from Enfield (peak times only) , check www.unobus.ino , click on "routes" tab, click on 610 "Enfield/cockfosters - Luton" route. student returns are £5

if you have a car, uni has a park and ride with 800 spaces. open 8am-10pm during term time . pay 50p each day. and shuttle arrives every 10/15 mins and takes you to both campuses.

using a train, kings cross - Hatfield station , then use a bus (£1 student single) to get to campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by lukeisfantasy
Uno use the 610 route from Enfield (peak times only) , check www.unobus.ino , click on "routes" tab, click on 610 "Enfield/cockfosters - Luton" route. student returns are £5

if you have a car, uni has a park and ride with 800 spaces. open 8am-10pm during term time . pay 50p each day. and shuttle arrives every 10/15 mins and takes you to both campuses.

using a train, kings cross - Hatfield station , then use a bus (£1 student single) to get to campus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Regarding the UNO buses, which fares would I be going for?
Thanks a lot by the way
Original post by InfernoCem
Regarding the UNO buses, which fares would I be going for?
Thanks a lot by the way

once you have your student ID card, you'll be able to have access to the student fares that Uno have . Enfield is in zone 2 , so I think the ticket is officially called "zone 1 & 2 return" .

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=lukeisfantasy; once you have your student ID card, you'll be able to have access to the student fares that Uno have . Enfield is in zone 2 , so I think the ticket is officially called "zone 1 & 2 return" .

Luke: Although not directly on the subject of the daily morning/ evening commute, yourself and others may be interested to learn- if not aware already- that UNO are to run a later evening Mon- Sats only short-working 653 from Hatfield rail station to St Albans & return.

It will depart from the station at 19.50 and thence hourly at 50 mins past each hour until the last bus at 22.50, going directly via the town / Cavendish Way / College Lane to the Forum ( xx 59) then anticlockwise circular via South Hatfield/Roberts Way/ Bishops Rise/ The Galleria to de Hav ( xx11).

This will help to partially restore a much needed in-town service at least for the students and residents of South & West Hatfield and the two campuses.

This is very much on trial by UNO for six months: so get the message out it`s use or lose. It won`t be as good as the former thirty minute frequency later evening UNO 607 that was cut in line with the HCC funding cuts policy in April, but it`s a step in the right direction and better than nought. Incidentally, the day 607 as from 26th Sept is to be re-routed back via the front of The Galleria /Cavendish Way to the station, instead of as currently Comet Way/The Airfield-Premier Inn Motel/ Lemsford Rd., giving students the most direct and quickest route back to the station.

And don`t forget in addition to the 653 the UNO 602 still has three Monday to Sat evening services within reasonable (7-10mins) walking distance of the Salisbury/Garden Villages & de Hav, working directly back to the depot in The Business Park from the station Mon- Sats at 21.35, 22.35 & 00.35, journey time just over 6 mins. Get off at the stop by Hearle Way, just off the roundabout where it joins Gypsy Moth Avenue, & last stop before the depot. I sometimes use these myself and direct students on to this bus especially as there are no cheaper mini cab fares after 11.pm.that I`m aware of.

Quite why UNO have pitched the 653 to depart at 50 mins past the hour from the station I`m not sure, maybe it`s for operational reasons: this is only a minute after the Arriva 301 departs.

The trains most people use are the semi-fast services arriving from London at xx 27 & 57 past each hour or similar times southbound from Stevenage etc. My own thought is that a departure time of xx 40 would have been better, this gives time to comfortably interchange without having to wait too long.

Regarding the train timetables, these will start to change quite drastically but I would think only as the new Thameslink connection at King`s Cross is rolled out, full service scheduled at the start of the summer timetable in May 2018.
By then, hopefully before , Hatfield will at last be within the Oyster card system.
Further info. on the Hertfordshire County Council Intalink travel site and UNO`s own site

Comments welcome.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you are thinking of trains. forget about Great Northern at weekends- five trains in a row cancelled last night.
Original post by barnetlad
If you are thinking of trains. forget about Great Northern at weekends- five trains in a row cancelled last night.

:frown: I know- one of them was the one I intended to catch- maybe First CC were not quite so bad after all.......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending