The Student Room Group

Has everyone started their Personal Statement?

Scroll to see replies

Hey Im going to be starting uni this september and I just want to tell all you that the ps is important make sure it has something memorable for the admissions people bc it sure helped me to get into my first choice university, Im sure of it since my grades were ABD but needed to get BBB. Dont stress over it though mine was drafted 3/4 times and it was done ! Good Luck
lol I've done 4 drafts so far XD
Original post by Inexorably
Done a first draft...excluding the introduction as i dont know what to write at all
Just write PICK ME!!!!!

Spoiler

Original post by mahmzo
Do you know of any forum or website that shows statistics of how many people got through to a particular course this year?
Have you tried unistats?
Haven't started yet :/
Jus finished my first draft today. It,s too long, makes no sense and I hate it. But at least I've got something.
Original post by jneill
Universities give equal consideration to all applicants if they apply before the 15th January deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the thing about that (that admittedly, even I do not understand) that confuses things how/why people can get offers before the deadline.
Original post by mahmzo
Hey guys, I was just curious how much everyone has done for their personal statement.

I don't want to be the only one behind, I have only done like 2500 characters lol

Yeah, i finished it this summer. As the unis i'm applying to require it done by September- early October.
Ish, I've written some ideas down but I know people who are way ahead of me on writing it. :frown: I need to get started TBH.
Stop stressing me out fam, I haven't even started.
Original post by mahmzo
Hey guys, I was just curious how much everyone has done for their personal statement.

I don't want to be the only one behind, I have only done like 2500 characters lol
Original post by RDKGames
I started mine off with a quote. Obviously it doesn't matter because I was applying to do maths.

Don't! It's cheesy and pretentious. Even if it is someone less well known like Fibonacci or Escher.
Original post by mahmzo
So its completely random? When do the universities start reading them
They need to compare you to those around you. When they have enough to start doing that, you may get an offer. You may be getting confused with clearing, which is first come first serve.
Original post by mahmzo
Lets say someone got ABC at AS and there course requires like A*AA or AAA will they not be allowed to apply their? Or can there school allow them to have those predictions.
I think at that point the uni looks at the schools reference to try and establish whether those predicted grades are likely. A lot of people have low AS (shock of A Level study) and pick up for A2 - but off course that might not happen anymore with these ****** REFORMS!!!!
I haven't even decided where to apply:s-smilie:Surely I can't be the only one
Original post by SeanFM
I think the thing about that (that admittedly, even I do not understand) that confuses things how/why people can get offers before the deadline.
If they're clever enough about it, they can look at the distribution of when the offers come in, as well as their typical acceptance rate, and use that as a proportion to work out how many of the currently-held applications will be 'of the standard'.
How many on your list at present?
Original post by ertzgrand
I haven't even decided where to apply:s-smilie:Surely I can't be the only one
"Focus is about saying no" - Steve Jobs
Original post by mahmzo

Nope
I've not even started it yet because I don't know where to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've genuinely not even started because I don't know where to start 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had one of those days where I could write seemingly endlessly -- managed to get ~3800 characters done in about an hour. I feel as though it's either the best PS I could ever write, or the worst.
Is there any where on this site where I can get opinions on it? I really don't want to have to wait until my UCAS mentor sees it. Also, I don't think his sole opinion will be of much help if I'm honest.
Original post by 04MR17
How many on your list at present?"Focus is about saying no" - Steve Jobs

8-9
Original post by 04MR17
How many on your list at present?"Focus is about saying no" - Steve Jobs

8-9 for material science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending