The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Observatory
I would replace doctors with accountants.

a doctor is the most ethical of professions.
Original post by rehmanator
a doctor is the most ethical of professions.

The priesthood is the most holy of professions, but priests are useless. Doctors are a rough secular equivalent.
Your mum > your dad > your sister > your little brother > your baby cousin > your pet ferret >............... you
Original post by Carmenh
I'm not going to sit here and argue about my principles, so I'll just leave you with a question. What makes a murderer? As far as I'm concerned, it's someone who takes lives. Soldiers do this too. They take innocent lives; they take guilty lives, but whatever way you want to spin it, the army is responsible for murder. No war has ever kept people safe, and I'm sure you're going to fling your archaic ideas of what 'keeping people safe' means at me (I bet you were just about to tell me how I'd be speaking German if it wasn't for the army), but the fact of the matter is, war has only ever killed people. I also don't have a flying ****ing clue what going to Mosul would do for me, because no matter where I go I won't be able to escape idiots like you who think killing people can come even near to safe. It shocks me how people can be so nonchalant about death. Even if you don't care about smiting thousands of lives, you should at least see what a drain on our resources war is, all for **** all.

But what you're not seeing, is we're not just talking about war... What about the typhoons that fend off other countries aerial advances? Or the frigates that patrol tne waters 24/7? Or the people who deliver aid to civilians? They're also soldiers.
Also... Very few soldiers are actually murderers, and the ones that are probably did it for the right reasons. At some point, you'll realise that sometimes war is necessary, like the one we're fighting against IS... and yes, WWII where we literally had no choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Observatory
Rubbish. Without trash collectors we would be burying or burning stuff in our gardens and without doctors we might die at 75 instead of 81.

Yeah for some reason I don't think that burning garbage is very healthy. The fumes would cause diseases. Burying it is also not a option cause the ones who do actually have a garden would also get sick. They'd have every type of worm and incect in their house, I don't think they'd be very happy or healthy. Also space would run out.

Without doctors half people woukd die from an untreated cold that peogressed to pneumonia or something. You cannot seriously believe we can survive 75 years without them.
Reply 85
I would keep it the same, except place engineers under the bracket of 'applied scientists', so scientists win in the end.
Original post by cbreef
But what you're not seeing, is we're not just talking about war... What about the typhoons that fend off other countries aerial advances? Or the frigates that patrol tne waters 24/7? Or the people who deliver aid to civilians? They're also soldiers.
Also... Very few soldiers are actually murderers, and the ones that are probably did it for the right reasons. At some point, you'll realise that sometimes war is necessary, like the one we're fighting against IS... and yes, WWII where we literally had no choice.

But if we ask people nicely they might not be mean to us. :rolleyes:
How do these threads gain so much serious attention? :/
Original post by hezzlington
Doesn't require an extensive skill set to collect garbage though. If they all disappeared, we'd just start hiring skips. If skip collectors disappeared, we'd drive our garbage down the landfill ourselves.

My point is that we need garbage collectors. No they don't need an extensive skill set butvwe still need them. We also need builders, farmers, supermarket workers plummers,electricians etc
Just because someone doesn't have a degree decorating their wall does not mean they are useless.
Unless you are willing to take on many part time jobs to make society function correctly then we would have a problem.
Original post by JamesN88
But if we ask people nicely they might not be mean to us. :rolleyes:

UK: Hey Nazi Germany, can you please stop dropping bombs on London please? :tongue:
Reply 90
Engineers are just physicists who are worse at maths.
Original post by venetiaan
Yeah for some reason I don't think that burning garbage is very healthy. The fumes would cause diseases. Burying it is also not a option cause the ones who do actually have a garden would also get sick. They'd have every type of worm and incect in their house, I don't think they'd be very happy or healthy. Also space would run out.

I agree; trash collection is important.

Without doctors half people woukd die from an untreated cold that peogressed to pneumonia or something. You cannot seriously believe we can survive 75 years without them.

There is no treatment for cold.
Bruh if you're going to do this sort of thing then do it right. Take law and place it in the everything else category. "lawyers" isn't' a degree.
Original post by NPWorld
Well let me enlighten you. There are a lot of instruments that doctors commonly use that has been made by doctors themselves.

For example, Stethoscopes, dialysis machines, blood pressure monitors, ECGs were all invented by doctors :smile:

One more thing, doctors don't always need machines to save lives :biggrin:

P.S: Artificial heart valve was also invented by a doctor :wink:

But their work relies on progress made in basic scientific research anyway.
Such scientific research is usually pioneered by doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Doctors are probably the most prestigious profession of this list.
As an engineering student, I'm quite obviously biased.
But there's an undeniable advantage to engineering's hybrid nature; it's an excellent cross-over between pure maths and pure science; and how they mix together in real-life micro and macro applications.
Engineers are found to be highly employable (indeed, the finance field is crowded with engineers) because of how polyvalent they are and the excellent mind-frame an engineering degree provides you with.
LOL

CompScis > all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
LOL

CompScis > all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

CompSci can be considered an extension of the Electrical and Electronic Engineering branch. In fact, most CompSci degrees are BEngs or MEngs.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
CompSci can be considered an extension of the Electrical and Electronic Engineering branch. In fact, most CompSci degrees are BEngs or MEngs.

Eh, it's more an extension of Maths than it is of EEE. But I see your point.*

Latest

Trending

Trending