The Student Room Group

Grant Thornton final interview

Hi, i have applied for the school leaver audit role with GT and I am on the final stage before the offer. Has anyone else reached this stage or completed the interview too? If so do you have any advice?

ALSO, does anyone know the starting salary for this role ?

Scroll to see replies

Lucky guy, how was the group exercise, and any tips for it?
Reply 2
Original post by toxicgamage56
Lucky guy, how was the group exercise, and any tips for it?

honestly i was scared bc im quite introverted irl. so i just played an exaggerated, extroverted version of myself lmao. i made sure i wasnt being passive and actually got involved. there were 2 other strong "leader"-like personalities in my group so make sure you dont fall into the background. +++AND remember the values.

also if u notice someone in ur group not participating as much, encourage them to talk like ask them questions n stuff. good luckk
Original post by teeviiz
honestly i was scared bc im quite introverted irl. so i just played an exaggerated, extroverted version of myself lmao. i made sure i wasnt being passive and actually got involved. there were 2 other strong "leader"-like personalities in my group so make sure you dont fall into the background. +++AND remember the values.

also if u notice someone in ur group not participating as much, encourage them to talk like ask them questions n stuff. good luckk

There's defo going to be a lot of those leader personalities there trying to take control. I'm also introverted irl, so I'm going to have to play a role as well. Good luck with your final interview for sure though - they'll definitely ask about why grant thornton, their values, why an apprenticeship, and maybe some more strength/competency based questions. Try find some more ppl who have done it through yammer.
Reply 4
Original post by teeviiz
Hi, i have applied for the school leaver audit role with GT and I am on the final stage before the offer. Has anyone else reached this stage or completed the interview too? If so do you have any advice?

How do you prepare for competency based question??
Original post by teeviiz

Got mah final interview too :wink:. How'd yours go?! Mine is on the 30th of November.
Reply 6
Got mah final interview too :wink:. How'd yours go?! Mine is on the 30th of November.

I've got mine too on the 9th Dec. I just struggle with interviews. Any tips??
Original post by Izan
I've got mine too on the 9th Dec. I just struggle with interviews. Any tips??

Btw, I haven't done mines either. But tips would be obviously revise the CLEARR values, and the role/GT very well as they might throw some curveballs. But interview questions tend to be open ended, so ig the more research you do, the more you can show off. And the more you speak, the less time they'll have to ask questions that'll throw you off lol. I really wish the interview was in-person, but it is what it is. I've applied to the school leaver public sector audit role (which I everrrr so slightly regret in comparison to more commercial audit, but I might be able to get a transfer) - you?
Reply 8
Btw, I haven't done mines either. But tips would be obviously revise the CLEARR values, and the role/GT very well as they might throw some curveballs. But interview questions tend to be open ended, so ig the more research you do, the more you can show off. And the more you speak, the less time they'll have to ask questions that'll throw you off lol. I really wish the interview was in-person, but it is what it is. I've applied to the school leaver public sector audit role (which I everrrr so slightly regret in comparison to more commercial audit, but I might be able to get a transfer) - you?

Same I applied for audit too. Just hope the interview it's alright. I tend to speak very fast 😅 I got thrown off by one question that they asked in an interview that I've done. They kept asking follow up q's don't know why
Original post by Izan
Same I applied for audit too. Just hope the interview it's alright. I tend to speak very fast 😅 I got thrown off by one question that they asked in an interview that I've done. They kept asking follow up q's don't know why

Goddamn follow up questions man, my script doesn't go that far. I think it'll be alright; I can confidently say that Grant Thornton has had one of the most supportive application processes in school leaver roles I've applied to thus far. Like damn, there's even a coaching call and Q&As on Mondays (that I unfortunately can't attend since my school is like an hour away lol).
Original post by teeviiz

Big 4 Audit is usually pretty low, especially given the hours worked. Think the average is around 32k.
Original post by DocsAnalyst
Big 4 Audit is usually pretty low, especially given the hours worked. Think the average is around 32k.

GT isn't Big 4? And OP's applied for a school leaver role (aka an apprenticeship, so I highly doubt it's 32k, I'd say 21k in fact).
Reply 12
Goddamn follow up questions man, my script doesn't go that far. I think it'll be alright; I can confidently say that Grant Thornton has had one of the most supportive application processes in school leaver roles I've applied to thus far. Like damn, there's even a coaching call and Q&As on Mondays (that I unfortunately can't attend since my school is like an hour away lol).

Same to be frankly honest. I just make bullet point with key words for each q s and then just answer it that way. Wbu??
GT isn't Big 4? And OP's applied for a school leaver role (aka an apprenticeship, so I highly doubt it's 32k, I'd say 21k in fact).

Big 4, BDO, GT etc all pay pretty similar.

Sorry I missed the school leaver point. KPMG was 20k for school leavers last year, so 21k sounds about right.
Reply 14

Sorry I missed the school leaver point. KPMG was 20k for school leavers last year, so 21k sounds about right.

How did you find the interviews???

I was gobsmacked after seeing a pie chart demonstrating market share for audit, and how the Big 4 take up ~98%. If you type, "audit uk firms pie chart london stock exchange", it should come up. Grant Thornton is 1% for that, which I thought was pretty crazy. Good to know they pay similar though.

But yeah, school leaver so ig we'll be earning a lot more later on.
Original post by Izan
Same to be frankly honest. I just make bullet point with key words for each q s and then just answer it that way. Wbu??

Tbh, I just write whatever stream of thought unleashes in my head. For one application, I was preparing for a competencies interview, and anticipating all the different types of competencies, I managed to chug out a 5k word document so ig I can use that whenever I need lol.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 17
Tbh, I just write whatever stream of thought unleashes in my head. For one application, I was preparing for a competencies interview, and anticipating all the different types of competencies, I managed to chug out a 5k word document so ig I can use that whenever I need lol.

🤣🤣🤣 yeah same thats what i do too.
But do you memorise your answers word to word or not?
Original post by Izan
🤣🤣🤣 yeah same thats what i do too.
But do you memorise your answers word to word or not?

No, that's impractical. Since I write what I think, remembering a few words is enough to set off a similar chain of thought so I don't have to recite the whole thing.
Reply 19
No, that's impractical. Since I write what I think, remembering a few words is enough to set off a similar chain of thought so I don't have to recite the whole thing.

I hope to get through the final interview. They ve been a challenge for me so far.
That's how I do it:
Star; I had to collect feedback from students
Task: to collate in a meeting
Action: went around the campus to ask student...
Result: successfully collected and collated feedback.

For all my fi they threw some curve balls. Don't know why they were asking follow up qs. I said I used some analytical tools at my work and the interviewer goes, can you please name the analytical tool and its functions🤣 This was a lie and I was like what should I say🤣 Then i just waffled my way out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending