The Student Room Group

TV Licensing loophole for students...

TV license.png

This is part of the TV Licensing site (http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ32) so basically don't use a TV and don't plug in your laptop/ipad.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen Cersei
TV license.png

This is part of the TV Licensing site (http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ32) so basically don't use a TV and don't plug in your laptop/ipad.

This is why I love you QC! :love:
Reply 2
Omg

You queen *__*
Bump for awareness.

Also if you receive letters saying their systems have detected there is a television set on your premises, what they actually mean is they compared the electoral role with their own database of payees and saw nobody at your address has paid, they don't actually have a magical van which detect whether you're watching television. Also they're not police officers and cannot enter your residence without a warrant, unless they ask and you give them your express permission.
Encouraging loopholes eh…. gonna have to…

..inform the… authorities. :holmes:

Spoiler

I don't wanna get snaked in this thread if I was to confess that I exploited (and many others at uni) this loophole :rofl:
Reply 6
Original post by HaramiSalami
Bump for awareness.Also if you receive letters saying their systems have detected there is a television set on your premises, what they actually mean is they compared the electoral role with their own database of payees and saw nobody at your address has paid, they don't actually have a magical van which detect whether you're watching television. Also they're not police officers and cannot enter your residence without a warrant, unless they ask and you give them your express permission.
Theyre so dodgy that sometimes I wonder if TV license is just a massive scam :lol:Also what if I had a TV and I said it was just for playstation or Netflix... they wouldn't know I use it to watch live TV - like how would they check and prove it? Idgi

Original post by iEthan
Encouraging loopholes eh…. gonna have to…

..inform the… authorities. :holmes:

Spoiler

You have balls of steel lmaoooo :rofl:
Reply 7
However, you now need a TV licence if you watch anything on BBC iplayer
Original post by z33
Theyre so dodgy that sometimes I wonder if TV license is just a massive scam :lol:Also what if I had a TV and I said it was just for playstation or Netflix... they wouldn't know I use it to watch live TV - like how would they check and prove it? Idgi

You have balls of steel lmaoooo :rofl:

It's OK :tongue: Cersei has a great sense of humour :tongue:

Plus, she's not actually doing anything wrong!!! I'd definitely do it :teehee:
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
However, you now need a TV licence if you watch anything on BBC iplayer

Not if the device you watch it on isn't plugged in via the mains :smile:
Reply 10
And how would they know if it was plugged in? Im so confused :lol:
Reply 11
Original post by Deyesy
Not if the device you watch it on isn't plugged in via the mains :smile:

No, the law is changing from 1St September to remove the loophole
Reply 12
Original post by iEthan
It's OK :tongue: Cersei has a great sense of humour :tongue:

Plus, she's not actually doing anything wrong!!! I'd definitely do it :teehee:

Hopefully for you :tongue: :lol:

Trutrutruuu and they have no right to enter your house so they'll never know... :colone:
Inb4 £1000 fine x_x
Reply 13
Original post by Juno

Dass boolshiet

Even if the loophole was removed

How will they prove you even watch TV? You could be like I don't even use it, or I only use it for playstation. How will they check?

Plus they have no right to enter your house or check your internet history so they cant prove it that way

Not that I would risk it but I'm just saying like how would it be proven :hmmmm:
Original post by z33

Trutrutruuu and they have no right to enter your house so they'll never know... :colone:
Inb4 £1000 fine x_x

Their letters are so scary too! :shock: I'd just… figure it out… somehow… :colone:

(:colone:)
Reply 15
Original post by Juno

Afaik though. The change is happening to close the loophole of people who only watch things on demand to avoid a tv license.

Student's whose parents have a TV license and aslong as they're watching something from their laptop's battery will still be okay.
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course if you do plug in a TV, Judge Dredd and the SAS will burst through the door and you'll go to prison for 50 years.
Original post by z33

They have literally no way to tell unless you admit it or they actually catch you watching live, the whole thing is a massive smoke and mirrors op.

"Detector vans are an important part of our enforcement of the licence fee. We don’t go into detail about how many there are or how they work as this information might be useful to people trying to evade the fee." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van

The fact they refuse to disclose the nature of the evidence they supposedly collect, would render that evidence inadmissible in court even if it were real, therefore occam's razor would suggest it isn't. It's just a public sector goon in a white van they stuck an old aerial onto

It pisses me off because it's the state bullying little people.
Original post by Slowbro93
This is why I love you QC! :love:

Original post by z33
Omg

You queen *__*

Original post by HaramiSalami
Bump for awareness.

Also if you receive letters saying their systems have detected there is a television set on your premises, what they actually mean is they compared the electoral role with their own database of payees and saw nobody at your address has paid, they don't actually have a magical van which detect whether you're watching television. Also they're not police officers and cannot enter your residence without a warrant, unless they ask and you give them your express permission.

Original post by Juno

Original post by z33

Inb4 £1000 fine x_x

The update is here and the 'powered by battery' rule is still mentioned below: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1?WT.mc_id=r044&x=0
what i always wondered about this 'loophole' is how the hell can they tell if you watch it whilst your laptop is plugged in or not?

even if you were plugged in and watch it for every day of your life without a licence, and they say oi m8 u watched it plugged in, can't i just say na wasn't plugged in prove it

the burden of proof is on them to prove that my laptop was plugged in whilst i watched, there's literally no conceivable way they could do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending