The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City College, Univeristy of London?!?!

What, what?

City is a college of the University of London?

When did that happen??
Reply 1
Yeah. It's a similar concept to Oxford. There is University of Oxford, but there are colleges i.e. Keble College, Oriel College etc.

University of London consists of almost all London unis/colleges including UCL, King's College, City, Royal Holloway, LSE etc.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Jozanic
Yeah. It's a similar concept to Oxford. There is University of Oxford, but there are colleges i.e. Keble College, Oriel College etc.

University of London consists of almost all London unis/colleges including UCL, King's College, City, Royal Holloway, LSE etc.

I'm fully aware that there has always been a federal university of London - just when did City become part of it?

Also, the University of London is nothing like Oxford at all. The Oxford colleges don't award their own degrees, whereas some of the London colleges do. Also, nobody says "I go to the University of London"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
My bad. City actually joined around a year ago.
Reply 4
Original post by Jozanic
My bad. City actually joined around a year ago.

By a year ago, you mean two days ago?

http://www.city.ac.uk/news/2016/september/city-joins-the-university-of-london
Reply 5
Original post by Trinculo
I'm fully aware that there has always been a federal university of London - just when did City become part of it?

Also, the University of London is nothing like Oxford at all. The Oxford colleges don't award their own degrees, whereas some of the London colleges do. Also, nobody says "I go to the University of London"

That's true but I'm saying how University of Oxford has colleges and so does University of London. It is actually considered a collegiate university. Just cos people don't say "I got to the University of London" doesn't mean it's not a university; I think that because it consists of so many colleges (17) they'd rather name the colleges, since the reputations of the colleges vary.
Reply 6
Congratulations, QMUL - no longer the most boring college in the University of London!
Reply 7

Damn that's news to me XD. I think I was looking at an article that stated that they are being "considered".
Reply 8
Oh well - City students - you can finally come to the legendary ULU Friday nights
Original post by Jozanic
Damn that's news to me XD. I think I was looking at an article that stated that they are being "considered".

Actually it is has been announced since last year that City university will join the university of London following good results in the REF.

Effectively since the 1st of September 2016 City became part of the university of London. It is now known as City, University of London.

As for the "most boring college" comments I would say the following. City is surely not as prestigious as LSE or UCL but I would not consider it much worse or better than Goldsmiths or Royal Holloway which are also colleges of the university of London. For most bachelors at City one requires 33 to 36 IB points to enter which shows that City has relatively high entry criteria.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah it will be better than oxford and Cambridge in a couple years, also fk all the people at Queen Mary you think you're better than city but really you are just the joke uni in Russell Group and you should be kicked out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending