The Student Room Group

Student finance is not paid! Help!!??

Hi,
I am a student teacher and my payment date was scheduled for today, however when I've checked my bank it has not been paid. Has this happened to anyone else and does anybody know why? I'm a single parent student and was relying on the money to support me and my son 😞
Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Have you enrolled?
Reply 2
Original post by AimeeLoki
Hi,
I am a student teacher and my payment date was scheduled for today, however when I've checked my bank it has not been paid. Has this happened to anyone else and does anybody know why? I'm a single parent student and was relying on the money to support me and my son 😞
Thanks in advance.

it can take up to five days. you should have it by friday at the latest!
Reply 3
Ah thank you!
Reply 4
I have the same problem due today but have not received it! I enrolled Thursday and hoping it is here by Wednesday as my rent goes out on Thursday and due to having a new job and coming off income support (as I have a child), my housing benefit has been suspended pending more information on my wages and I am left with only half of my rent in savings but was counting on SF coming in!
Reply 5
Same, mine said it was to be paid today but nothing yet and I have already enrolled (enrolled like 3 weeks ago + gone to induction). Hopefully it doesn't take too long as I wanted to buy some stuff for my course.

Do they send a text/email once it's in?
Reply 6
Original post by baardie
Same, mine said it was to be paid today but nothing yet and I have already enrolled (enrolled like 3 weeks ago + gone to induction). Hopefully it doesn't take too long as I wanted to buy some stuff for my course.

Do they send a text/email once it's in?

SF will only act once they have confirmation of your attendance from the uni. It's worth checking that your uni have issed the notifications for your intake, to SF. If they have, you could get them to specifically check that your details were sent. If they have been and that was more than a week ago, I'd definitely phone SF and check whether they have received confirmation from your uni.

If you enrolled on campus three weeks ago and your SF payment date has passed by more than a week, then something doesn't feel right.

You don't get any notifications. You just need to keep checking your bank account.

As a tip, also go into your SF application and check that you entered your correct bank details. You'd be surprised at how often we hear about typos in account or sort code numbers.*
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
SF will only act once they have confirmation of your attendance from the uni. It's worth checking that your uni have issed the notifications for your intake, to SF. If they have, you could get them to specifically check that your details were sent. If they have been and that was more than a week ago, I'd definitely phone SF and check whether they have received confirmation from your uni.

If you enrolled on campus three weeks ago and your SF payment date has passed by more than a week, then something doesn't feel right.

You don't get any notifications. You just need to keep checking your bank account.

As a tip, also go into your SF application and check that you entered your correct bank details. You'd be surprised at how often we hear about typos in account or sort code numbers.*

Can't see my full sort/acc numbers but both the ends of the numbers are the same, my payments are 'Approved', (which is weird since it doesn't describe it) but it says my payments are ready to be made. I guess it's just a waiting game..

Edit: Called and she said the 5th was only a guideline but if they payment still has not gone through call back on Friday to escalate the task to find out what happened. Hopefully soon :biggrin: I get a text whenever my balance hits £100 so it should be pretty easy to tell if it goes through
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you enrolled?

Yes, and I've even started in my school as my course is centred around the school itself rather than Uni.
Original post by baardie
Can't see my full sort/acc numbers but both the ends of the numbers are the same, my payments are 'Approved', (which is weird since it doesn't describe it) but it says my payments are ready to be made. I guess it's just a waiting game..

Edit: Called and she said the 5th was only a guideline but if they payment still has not gone through call back on Friday to escalate the task to find out what happened. Hopefully soon :biggrin: I get a text whenever my balance hits £100 so it should be pretty easy to tell if it goes through

You have a son and you often have a balance of under £100?!??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by newsunflower
You have a son and you often have a balance of under £100?!??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you have me mistaken for OP :P
Original post by Klix88

Confirmation of attendance is for the tuition fees to be paid.

Confirmation of registration is for any money paid to the student such as the maintenance loan (takes 24-48 hours to show on SF systems then 3-5 working days to pay the student once it shows on the system) *
Reply 12
Original post by murpo
Confirmation of attendance is for the tuition fees to be paid.

Confirmation of registration is for any money paid to the student such as the maintenance loan (takes 24-48 hours to show on SF systems then 3-5 working days to pay the student once it shows on the system) *

You certainly don't get any Maintenance Loan payment before you enrol on campus if your uni has a separate online registration process. That would mean automatically getting your Maintenance Loan before you turn up to uni, which doesn't happen.

As an illustration, my uni cocked up the on-campus enrolment at the start of my second year, when they forgot to notify about a third of the student body that it was happening. We all had to wait three weeks for our Maintenance Loans, while the uni sorted it out and caught up with the missing students. If Maintenance Loans were triggered by registration alone, we did that online earlier in the summer and we shouldn't have had a problem.

Basically, nobody gets a Maintenance Loan payment unless they actually physically turn up on campus. Otherwise you'd have a ghost body of virtual students were were confirmed as registered with unis but mysteriously never got round to attending after trousering their first loan instalment. It would make no financial sense.

I suspect that your/SF's 'confirmation of attendance' and 'confirmation of registration' are both part of a single process for a uni. One which happens in person, on campus, in Freshers'/Induction Week.
Original post by Klix88
You certainly don't get any Maintenance Loan payment before you enrol on campus if your uni has a separate online registration process. That would mean automatically getting your Maintenance Loan before you turn up to uni, which doesn't happen.

As an illustration, my uni cocked up the on-campus enrolment at the start of my second year, when they forgot to notify about a third of the student body that it was happening. We all had to wait three weeks for our Maintenance Loans, while the uni sorted it out and caught up with the missing students. If Maintenance Loans were triggered by registration alone, we did that online earlier in the summer and we shouldn't have had a problem.

Basically, nobody gets a Maintenance Loan payment unless they actually physically turn up on campus. Otherwise you'd have a ghost body of virtual students were were confirmed as registered with unis but mysteriously never got round to attending after trousering their first loan instalment. It would make no financial sense.

I suspect that your/SF's 'confirmation of attendance' and 'confirmation of registration' are both part of a single process for a uni. One which happens in person, on campus, in Freshers'/Induction Week.

No I am telling you the correct information.

It is confirmation of registration to receive maintenance loan and payments to the student.*

Confirmation of attendance is to release tuition fee payments.

If you phone up student finance and ask they will tell you the same thing as I'm telling you :wink: *
Reply 14
Original post by murpo
No I am telling you the correct information.

It is confirmation of registration to receive maintenance loan and payments to the student.*

If you phone up student finance and ask they will tell you the same thing as I'm telling you :wink: *

Then why do students not get their Maintenance Loan payment until after they enrol on campus? It simply doesn't happen, which is why we see so many people on TSR panicking about how they're going to pay for advance accommodation deposits.

I was an undergrad for three years and despite completing what the uni referred to as "registration" in late August each year, at no point did I receive SF money until after I enrolled in mid-late September.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about different things. What SF mandates and sees, is not necessarily what the student experiences.
Reply 15
See
Original post by Klix88
Then why do students not get their Maintenance Loan payment until after they enrol on campus? It simply doesn't happen, which is why we see so many people on TSR panicking about how they're going to pay for advance accommodation deposits.

I was an undergrad for three years and despite completing what the uni referred to as "registration" in late August each year, at no point did I receive SF money until after I enrolled in mid-late September.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about different things. What SF mandates and sees, is not necessarily what the student experiences.

Confirmation of registration does release the maintenance loan. However there are also scheduled payments. So maintenance loan is paid on the scheduled date as long as the registration has been confirmed before hand. If it had not yet been confirmed when the payment is due, the payment will be paused until a confirmation of the registration has been received.

My university has that exact information on the student hub including the dates that my registration has been confirmed with SFE.
Reply 16
I got my money early this morning :smile: Took 2 days to go from Submitted to Paid thankfully lol
Reply 17
Original post by murpo
It is confirmation of registration to receive maintenance loan and payments to the student.

The central government info web page https://www.gov.uk/studentfinancesteps says:

Your first student finance payment

You must register at your university or college before you can get your
 first student finance payment. You’ll usually do this in the first week of your course. Take your student finance entitlement letter with you.

Once your university or college confirms that you’ve registered, Student Finance England will make your first payment.

Any Maintenance Loan you’re eligible for will be paid into your bank account. It may take three working days for the money to reach your account.

Any Tuition Fee Loan you’re eligible for will be paid to your university or college.

The above wording (my italics) demonstrates that whether you refer to it as 'registration' or 'enrollment', the process to trigger any SF payment has to be done in person. It has to be done at uni and not online. You have to physically show the uni your physical letter of SF entitlement. This is done during the first week of the course (in reality usually in Freshers' or Induction Week, which may be before the official course start date) and for ease of admin, most unis will roll it up with their own internal processes such as issuing ID/library cards etc. At my undergrad uni this combined process was termed 'enrollment'. Other unis may call it different things.

As I have been saying repeatedly - and as that .gov.uk web page shows - both the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan payments are triggered by this single process, which takes place as a single act, in person, on campus, at or just before, the start date of your course.

If you still disagree with me, then you (and the SF advisors to whom you refer) need to contact the .gov.uk web content guardians and inform them that they are giving incorrect information on the page to which I link above. :wink:
Original post by Klix88
The central government info web page https://www.gov.uk/studentfinancesteps says:

The above wording (my italics) demonstrates that whether you refer to it as 'registration' or 'enrollment', the process to trigger any SF payment has to be done in person. It has to be done at uni and not online. You have to physically show the uni your physical letter of SF entitlement. This is done during the first week of the course (in reality usually in Freshers' or Induction Week, which may be before the official course start date) and for ease of admin, most unis will roll it up with their own internal processes such as issuing ID/library cards etc. At my undergrad uni this combined process was termed 'enrollment'. Other unis may call it different things.

As I have been saying repeatedly - and as that .gov.uk web page shows - both the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan payments are triggered by this single process, which takes place as a single act, in person, on campus, at or just before, the start date of your course.

If you still disagree with me, then you (and the SF advisors to whom you refer) need to contact the .gov.uk web content guardians and inform them that they are giving incorrect information on the page to which I link above. :wink:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, been busy.

On both the university systems and student finance systems it is confirmation of registration to release maintenance loan/grant payments

In my experience I have seen some students confirmation of registration come through before they have started their course and their payment date is around or just as they start so it's all set up for them. I have also seen ML payments been paid to students who never attended and dropped out and went into overpayments.

I don't know how to whole thing works with the university but I know some students can do the registering online from what I've seen.

Confirmation of attendance is tuition fees.
Reply 19
Original post by murpo
In my experience I have seen some students confirmation of registration come through before they have started their course and their payment date is around or just as they start so it's all set up for them.

Yes, that's what I experienced. My own enrollment/registration/whatever you call it, took place during Freshers' Week, which was the week before the official start date of my course each year.

I have also seen ML payments been paid to students who never attended and dropped out and went into overpayments.

Then according to the info provided by the government web page to which I linked, this was an error on the part of the uni, SF or both. I certainly had undergrad colleagues who were accidentally omitted from the initial confirmation list which the uni sent to SF, so presumably the opposite error is possible. Enrolling in person reduces the chance of this happening.

I don't know how to whole thing works with the university but I know some students can do the registering online from what I've seen.

Online registration would seem to contradict what that government website expects to happen.

Confirmation of attendance is tuition fees.

I think this distinction between the two processes is a result of you only having seen the SF side of the process. My uni doesn't make that distinction in its student-facing admin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending