The Student Room Group

Sister At Uni

My Sister recently came out as trans and my parents won't accept her. She wants to run away. Would it be possible for her to live with me at uni and attend a sixthform nearby ? I am the only thing stopping them arguing and I don't want to leaver her but I don't want to put my uni plans on hold. She will be sixteen when I go to Uni.
Original post by QueenNerd17
My Sister recently came out as trans and my parents won't accept her. She wants to run away. Would it be possible for her to live with me at uni and attend a sixthform nearby ? I am the only thing stopping them arguing and I don't want to leaver her but I don't want to put my uni plans on hold. She will be sixteen when I go to Uni.

I know someone who moved in with her boyfriend at uni unofficially? but you could try talking to the accommodation staff?
I know at some colleges you can sign guests in...there could be a way to do that at your uni too?
in theory if you rented a small flat somewhere you might be able to live together but there are very few towns where you could afford a two bedroom flat on a student income, I don't know what benefits you might qualify for if your sister was living with you - if you got enough that might help you afford to live? (if you look into this make sure to factor in bills) your sister would probably have to work as well if she wanted any spending money herself.

you won't be able to bring her into halls so bear in mind you will be making a significant compromise on your own university experience, make sure it's necessary

are you going to uni in a week or two or next year? if it's next year I wouldn't worry for now, it's quite possible things will have changed by then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending