The Student Room Group

I cant make my mom happy.

Im a 16 female with two sisters my mom always compares my look with them and not only them she does it with everyone even in public. She calls me ugly, and an embarrassment. I even cut my hair short thinking that I will look better, for a while she hasnt said anything but today she did. I guess i embarrassed the family at the dentist because my hair wasnt curled right so now she dosnt want to pick me up from work unless I figure something out and tell her a plan on how im going to change how i look. I literally dont know what to do and I don't have a car yet.
Original post by Anonymous
Im a 16 female with two sisters my mom always compares my look with them and not only them she does it with everyone even in public. She calls me ugly, and an embarrassment. I even cut my hair short thinking that I will look better, for a while she hasnt said anything but today she did. I guess i embarrassed the family at the dentist because my hair wasnt curled right so now she dosnt want to pick me up from work unless I figure something out and tell her a plan on how im going to change how i look. I literally dont know what to do and I don't have a car yet.

This is abusive disgusting behaviour. Can you ask childline or school for help?

In the long run, if it were me I would be trying to get as far from her as possible. And definitely moving out for uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
No daughter should ever be made to feel like that. This is actually disgusting on her behalf.
I'd tell social services or a trusted teacher at your school/college/uni.
Good luck!
Reply 3
I'm so sorry to hear this, but your mum is being the embarrassing one here. Her comments are really inappropriate, controlling and abusive, she shouldn't be comparing you to your sisters because that's going to end up straining the relationship between all of you and the fact that she's doing this in public sounds very very wrong. If she continues, she's going to damage many relationships and ultimately your self esteem.

I would advise to speak with her about this and explain this to her and ask your sisters if they can say something also so she can get off your back. The way you dress and carry yourself is your business, her happiness isn't dependent on something that has practically nothing to do with her, it's almost as if she's trying to live through her daughters and is being overly critical of them. Based of your post I feel as though she doesn't pick on your sisters as much, perhaps you could ask them for advice in regards to styling so that your mum doesn't pester you as much? I hope your situation improves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending