The Student Room Group

Taking down notes at A-level... (Help)

Hi All.
I start sixth form this Thursday and I was wondering how do I actually take down notes effectively in lessons. At Gcse's we were pretty much spoon fed everything, and told what to write down. From what I've heard it's very different at A-level. So how do I take effective notes and filter out what is necessary.
I'm doing History, Sociology, Gov&Politics and English Lit.
Also how is a day to day lesson like with the subjects above?
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump. Help appreciated.
Reply 2
So no one can help??
This is vital for me to understand before I start sixth form. Please give me some advice if anyone can.
Original post by _Hafsa
Hi All.
I start sixth form this Thursday and I was wondering how do I actually take down notes effectively in lessons. At Gcse's we were pretty much spoon fed everything, and told what to write down. From what I've heard it's very different at A-level. So how do I take effective notes and filter out what is necessary.
Thanks.

You could use the Cornell note method

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xSYnGhlnzyw

For sociology you will need to get a textbook and read through it and pick out the relevant bits of info that stands out and make a note of any key words in bold and write down their definitions on a separate piece of paper.
Original post by _Hafsa
So no one can help??This is vital for me to understand before I start sixth form. Please give me some advice if anyone can.

Dude, chill. It's only been a few hours since you originally posted, people might not find your post straight away and there's probably a lot of threads like this around right now. :tongue:

You'll find that you will get into the flow of what to write down and what to leave out pretty quickly - I didn't take the same subjects as you (or anything similar, tbh), but I'd say just write down any info that the teacher is talking about/make notes of stuff as you are working in the lesson, and then rewrite your notes later on (that evening/end of that week perhaps). When you rewrite them, take out any waffle/unnecessary parts and make sure it is neat and easy to revise from later (it's much easier to revise from 'clean'/reviewed notes than messy ones straight from lessons! Perhaps use one of the note methods like the Cornell method, or look up others online...). Try to not write what they say word for word, as this just takes ages and you might not get it all down in time. Use shorthand if you need to, otherwise just make sure you have all the key points/important info down. Lots of colour, imagery, and things like spider diagrams can be useful too!

I'll give you some specific examples of how my lessons usually were, but my subjects were very different to yours and were in very small classes, so I don't know if any of your lessons would have similar formats...

e.g1 - In one of my subjects, in 'theory-based' lessons the teacher would have a powerpoint up and would talk us through the concepts; we would also watch videos and have discussions throughout the session and ask the teacher questions as we went through the slides (it was a very small class, so I don't know if this would be as easy in larger classes). I'd jot down notes on all relevant parts and usually print off the powerpoint slides later. The notes were pretty comprehensive because of the slower pace, so I found I didn't need to make new 'neat' ones straight away.
e.g2 - In a different subject most of our class-based theory stuff was done with whiteboard + pen, with us calling out answers/suggestions & the teacher making spider diagrams or drawings of it throughout; the diagrams weren't as comprehensive but we also got booklets and had practical lessons to actually use the methods in real life (to make it easier to remember). In these sorts of lessons, some of us took notes (either pen+paper, or on computer), and we all took pictures of the board to revise/make new notes from later.
Reply 5
Original post by Workangel_24

For sociology you will need to get a textbook and read through it and pick out the relevant bits of info that stands out and make a note of any key words in bold and write down their definitions on a separate piece of paper.

Thanks!
At A-level and at uni as well, it is most helpful to have a set of notes in front of you. By that I mean have whatever is in your textbook or whatever lecture notes you can access before the lesson. Then you look at it as you are being taught something and take down notes where you think something is important but not captured in the original text. Then you are not wasting time and copying without absorbing, but saving time and ink and concentration.

Also one thing my chem teacher said was to never take notes whilst she was talking, and it made sense because it just doesn't go in and you don't listen properly whilst taking notes. The best thing to do is to listen, engage with what the teacher is saying and then take notes from what you remember afterwards.
Reply 7
Original post by catrinana
Dude, chill. It's only been a few hours since you originally posted, people might not find your post straight away and there's probably a lot of threads like this around right now. :tongue:

You'll find that you will get into the flow of what to write down and what to leave out pretty quickly - I didn't take the same subjects as you (or anything similar, tbh), but I'd say just write down any info that the teacher is talking about/make notes of stuff as you are working in the lesson, and then rewrite your notes later on (that evening/end of that week perhaps). When you rewrite them, take out any waffle/unnecessary parts and make sure it is neat and easy to revise from later (it's much easier to revise from 'clean'/reviewed notes than messy ones straight from lessons! Perhaps use one of the note methods like the Cornell method, or look up others online...). Try to not write what they say word for word, as this just takes ages and you might not get it all down in time. Use shorthand if you need to, otherwise just make sure you have all the key points/important info down. Lots of colour, imagery, and things like spider diagrams can be useful too!

I'll give you some specific examples of how my lessons usually were, but my subjects were very different to yours and were in very small classes, so I don't know if any of your lessons would have similar formats...

e.g1 - In one of my subjects, in 'theory-based' lessons the teacher would have a powerpoint up and would talk us through the concepts; we would also watch videos and have discussions throughout the session and ask the teacher questions as we went through the slides (it was a very small class, so I don't know if this would be as easy in larger classes). I'd jot down notes on all relevant parts and usually print off the powerpoint slides later. The notes were pretty comprehensive because of the slower pace, so I found I didn't need to make new 'neat' ones straight away.
e.g2 - In a different subject most of our class-based theory stuff was done with whiteboard + pen, with us calling out answers/suggestions & the teacher making spider diagrams or drawings of it throughout; the diagrams weren't as comprehensive but we also got booklets and had practical lessons to actually use the methods in real life (to make it easier to remember). In these sorts of lessons, some of us took notes (either pen+paper, or on computer), and we all took pictures of the board to revise/make new notes from later.

Aha I'm just used to quick responses, but wow thank you for the detailed response I don't think I'll need much more advice now.
I guess you did STEM subjects, they were not essay based. (Random guess)
But thank you again for the detailed examples, I guess I'll just get used to it as the lessons go by. I have been told that most of the lessons will contain lots of class discussions.
Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to go over and re write my notes neatly and regularly.
Original post by _Hafsa
Hi All.
Thanks.

Buy good study guides (e.g: Philip Allan books)...I didn't really bother with notes at A-Level because the revision books were sufficient (but I did all sciences so it may be different)....

notes are very time consuming and as the specifications are so specific, it is generally easier to use a revision guide (or several) produced by a company
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
At A-level and at uni as well, it is most helpful to have a set of notes in front of you. By that I mean have whatever is in your textbook or whatever lecture notes you can access before the lesson. Then you look at it as you are being taught something and take down notes where you think something is important but not captured in the original text. Then you are not wasting time and copying without absorbing, but saving time and ink and concentration.

Also one thing my chem teacher said was to never take notes whilst she was talking, and it made sense because it just doesn't go in and you don't listen properly whilst taking notes. The best thing to do is to listen, engage with what the teacher is saying and then take notes from what you remember afterwards.

Thanks for the great tip. It does make sense to not take down notes while the teacher is talking and that was one thing I was worried about. As it's hard to process all the information well and actually understanding what's being said whilst noting it down.
Also I am planning to read ahead the class, by reading from the textbook the night before so I can have in mind what we will be covering in the lesson therefore I'll be able to not waste time and note down the important bits in the lesson.
Thanks again.
Original post by _Hafsa
Thanks for the great tip. It does make sense to not take down notes while the teacher is talking and that was one thing I was worried about. As it's hard to process all the information well and actually understanding what's being said whilst noting it down.
Also I am planning to read ahead the class, by reading from the textbook the night before so I can have in mind what we will be covering in the lesson therefore I'll be able to not waste time and note down the important bits in the lesson.
Thanks again.

Exactly - reading ahead helps so you can prepare any questions if necessary and you can give your brain a chance to absorb the information. That's not to say study ahead for chapters and chapters but studying a lesson ahead is pretty useful.
Reply 11
Oh that makes sense. In GCSEs were told what to write whereas in A-level I'll write down what I think is important, and if it comes in handy during exam time then hopefully it will and if not then it will go in the trash like it did in GCSEs. However I do hope to keep these notes through out the two years so I hope to utilise them to the best of my ability.
Thanks for the advice.
Reply 12
Original post by SeanFM
Exactly - reading ahead helps so you can prepare any questions if necessary and you can give your brain a chance to absorb the information. That's not to say study ahead for chapters and chapters but studying a lesson ahead is pretty useful.

Yes thank you. I'm actually looking forward to it now :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by jsmith6131
Buy good study guides (e.g: Philip Allan books)...I didn't really bother with notes at A-Level because the revision books were sufficient (but I did all sciences so it may be different)....

notes are very time consuming and as the specifications are so specific, it is generally easier to use a revision guide (or several) produced by a company

Ahh yes revision guides are our saviours. I'll see how the first few lessons go and then I'll decide wether stacking up on revision guides will be useful.
Thanks for the tip!
Reply 14
Original post by Workangel_24

Thank you!, I'll make sure to check the link now.
With alevels you need to filter through information because you'll be given a lot of it. Doing past papers and looking at mark schemes will tell you what examiners are looking for
With sociology we were literally given the studies to learn to use in the exam so your college or sixth form will have stuff prepared for you
Original post by _Hafsa
Hi All.
Thanks.
Can only speak for English lit cause I didn't take the others. This subject can be a real pain so just make sure you have bought all the texts (plays, poetry etc.) you need ASAP, check any past year's class email groups for resources as this could give surprisingly good revision notes. Also with poetry specifically, if you know what poems you're gonna do each lesson then its a good idea to google analysis beforehand so you have a rough idea what you're talking about so you can give your opinion of what the language means! I wish I did that every lesson cause you're literally speechless if you have no idea whatsoever. Notes wise, I tried to take notes as much as possible from the teacher and the class. That way you don't have to worry about what parts to take down if someone's talking real fast and can just filter out/in more depending on what you hear! I suppose you could do the same in the other subjects tbh. studentproblems2 is right, dig and dig some more for mark schemes and other materials cause it can be gold for revision come exam season
pretty much was spoon fed at sixth form as well. its not as bad as its made out to be
Reply 18
Original post by studentproblems2
With alevels you need to filter through information because you'll be given a lot of it. Doing past papers and looking at mark schemes will tell you what examiners are looking for
With sociology we were literally given the studies to learn to use in the exam so your college or sixth form will have stuff prepared for you

That's great!, at least I'm not in the absolute dark and can be somewhat put at ease.
Thanks.
Reply 19
I guess it differs with the different subjects. At GCSEs history I was give a revision guide made by the teachers which was great and I didn't have to make my own notes, hopefully the teachers would be somewhat generous in that sense in my new school as well.
I guess I better buy those revision guides then, people had made it seem like revision guides would be useless at A-level.
Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest