The Student Room Group

Do Universities reject all applicants if predicted grades are less than requirements?

Hi I got my AS results of AAAB and am looking to do mechanical engineering at bath. However my b was in physics which I need an A at A2 level. The requirement is A*AA and I have been predicted A*AB because I got 100% on the predicted a* but I was 2 marks off an a in physics but I'm predicted a b. I know other schools may predict students higher which is why I'm worried that they reject my offer just based on predicted grades? I got 10a*s at GCSE but do they even look at that because I'm worried I won't even get an offer from my top 3 choices. Thanks
the uni i applied to asked for AAB, my predicted grades were ABC, still got in with ACD
Reply 2
They will generally give you a conditional as long as your predicted grades aren't way off. Like they ask for AAA and your predicted are DDD. So with such a slight difference, they will likely offer a place
Reply 3
This is really lenient from your uni, lucky you. Is your course a less popular subject, what course is it?

Original post by CherryPoppins
the uni i applied to asked for AAB, my predicted grades were ABC, still got in with ACD
Original post by Tcannon
This is really lenient from your uni, lucky you. Is your course a less popular subject, what course is it?

politics
no
liverpool have requirements of AAB for courses like comp sci and engineering
both were in clearing for BBC

universities purposely inflate their requirements on purpose. if they don't students with AAA+ grades won't even consider them

look at the statistics on unistats to see what the average number of ucas points is
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for the heads up on grade requirement inflation. So some admitted students don't have the AAA grades and still get a place. I did wonder, a friend's dad told us he got into a popular course with BBB many yrs ago. No the same course requires A*AA and he wouldn't get in with his BBB.
Original post by Tcannon
Thanks for the heads up on grade requirement inflation. So some admitted students don't have the AAA grades and still get a place. I did wonder, a friend's dad told us he got into a popular course with BBB many yrs ago. No the same course requires A*AA and he wouldn't get in with his BBB.

it depends on the university.
if cambridge asks for A*A*A they want A*A*A

if a university like sussex or liverpool asks for AAA they want ABB-BBB
some universities like edinburgh state a minimum entry requirements although most don't. most state an inflated standard offer.

watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8
Reply 8
I get it, it is like recommended list price for some new cars. You can negotiate with the car dealer for some less popular models. How can you find out the actual required grades? I got intimated from some prospectuses where most social sciences courses are listed with AAA. I thought there are not enough A level students with AAA to fill all places.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest