The Student Room Group

Don't like where I study

Hey,

I am about to go into 2nd year in uni but the problem is I don't like where I study.
I study at home so its the same city I've lived in my whole life and I feel like there is nothing to give anymore. Every day seems to be the same. I have friends at uni and stuff but I just want to move away. I feel as if the only way I can move on with my life and become more independent is if I leave the city and just kinda start again.
My friends from school who have moved away seem to be enjoying uni much more and have like really grown up where as when I go to uni and stuff it just feels the exact same as school felt to me.

The uni I go to now isn't great but my exam results are very good.
I just don't know what to do because I feel like crap everyday.

Has anyone else felt like this or got any advice or something?

Thanks
Are you still living with your parents? It may help if you move out.
Reply 2
Yeah I do live with my parents but tbh I just want to leave the city as a whole and have a fresh start
I think if you moved out you'd see it differently. I stayed in the same city for uni but I still moved into halls in my first year, and now I live on the opposite side of the city to my parents. You can still get a fresh start while still staying at the same uni.
Where do you study?
Original post by sheem12
Hey,

I am about to go into 2nd year in uni but the problem is I don't like where I study.
I study at home so its the same city I've lived in my whole life and I feel like there is nothing to give anymore. Every day seems to be the same. I have friends at uni and stuff but I just want to move away. I feel as if the only way I can move on with my life and become more independent is if I leave the city and just kinda start again.
My friends from school who have moved away seem to be enjoying uni much more and have like really grown up where as when I go to uni and stuff it just feels the exact same as school felt to me.

Thanks

Hello :smile:,

It's plain and simple, if you aren't happy, don't stay there. Move to another university, find where you are happy and comfortable and somewhere you feel you can grow in. You may not look forward to going through the process again but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Have a look around, find somewhere where you are happy, find an accommodation you feel comfortable living in and just start your experience again and make it one that you enjoy.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 6
What uni are you at ?
Original post by sheem12
Hey,

Thanks

Hello,

I too am heading to 2nd year! I know being in the same place is a drag because its the same faces, same routine in a familiar location.

Of course £9000 is not worth the money, but if anything the experience both academically - weekend revision, not rushing to commute home, spending a long time in the library, talking to lecturers out of lecture times and socially - sports, societies, employment events (held at night), travelling, volunteering come to make it the 'University Experience'
It is harder to develop independence when you are somewhat within a close proximity of home, you really won't feel it until you manage to survive in an unfamiliar location alone. I know its hard to see that your friends "seem" to be having a much more fun, yes probably because there is no mum, dad or guardian to constantly watch over them but you never really know what is happening underneath all the imagery of uni being wild and crazy.

But when it gets lonely at uni...trust me...you can really feel it and you either cry it out or go and get yourself busy. The great thing about being home is having support from your family or others who you can talk to.

Don't forget you can still have access to all the same opportunities...it is what you make it! Try not to compare yourself because everyone's experience differs. I had horrid housemates and didn't make friends with them...didn't have the "flatmate squad" that everyone seems to have been doing!

If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to stay nearby?
your reasoning will be totally respected because everyone is different :smile:
Reply 8
Lol all these 17 inexperienced dumbies say leave uni and start fresh LOL If you always run away from something in life that is upsetting you, you'll be doing a lot of running later on in life. Sometimes you have to do things in life eventhough its tough. You're getting good grades as you say, so what if you dont like it? You only got 1 year left? You think life after uni is going to be a breeze?!

Grow a pair pls.. You dont know what unhappy is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending