The Student Room Group

Do I have any chance at studying again?

In 2013 I successfully completed the first year of a part-time (4 year) undergrad degree at Birkbeck, however due to health issues I didn't resume studying again until 2015 where I rejoined the same degree as a full-time student - unfortunately, again due to health issues, I failed that year and have been unable to study since.

Given that I completed one year of part-time study, and used up my gift year as full-time study, I'm unsure as to exactly where I stand if I want to apply for financing again to start a fresh degree at the Open University. Would I be correct in assuming that I'm all out of options unless I can provide evidence from my doctor regarding my illness?
Original post by Bulbhead
In 2013 I successfully completed the first year of a part-time (4 year) undergrad degree at Birkbeck, however due to health issues I didn't resume studying again until 2015 where I rejoined the same degree as a full-time student - unfortunately, again due to health issues, I failed that year and have been unable to study since.

Given that I completed one year of part-time study, and used up my gift year as full-time study, I'm unsure as to exactly where I stand if I want to apply for financing again to start a fresh degree at the Open University. Would I be correct in assuming that I'm all out of options unless I can provide evidence from my doctor regarding my illness?

Hi there,

If you have only done 1 year part time and don't hold a qualification, you should still be eligible for finance for a new part time course. When are you thinking of doing this course?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

If you have only done 1 year part time and don't hold a qualification, you should still be eligible for finance for a new part time course. When are you thinking of doing this course?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply, sounds like it's worth a shot then. I'd like to start in October either this year or next, I've not decided which yet.
Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply, sounds like it's worth a shot then. I'd like to start in October either this year or next, I've not decided which yet.

You can have up to maximum of 16 years part time funding, if you don't hold a qualification, so you should be fine but nothing is definite till you apply. Applications for this year 23/24 are not yet open. These are due to open early summer.

Thanks
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
You can have up to maximum of 16 years part time funding, if you don't hold a qualification, so you should be fine but nothing is definite till you apply. Applications for this year 23/24 are not yet open. These are due to open early summer.

Thanks
Claire

That's great to hear, as you say nothing is definite but sounds very promising all the same; fingers crossed. Thanks for your help!
That's great to hear, as you say nothing is definite but sounds very promising all the same; fingers crossed. Thanks for your help!

You're welcome! If there is anything else we can help with in the future please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending