The Student Room Group

Great Wall of Calais

Scroll to see replies

Picturing that scene from World War Z where they get over the wall...
Original post by Laomedeia
If immigrants really are as big a problem as they say, why dont the police just shoot them? Its all political BS.

I think that your solution to every problematic person is apparently to shoot them says more about your value then theirs.

Although....we DO have armed cops at airports, so technically if we make the lorry-inspection/queuing area a armed security controlled area (like military bases), then it can't be helped if trespassers refuse to obey the security warnings....

But no.
It'd still be rather sinister to go around shooting poor and uneducated dirt-farmers or whatever from the back-ends of the Earth's dusty anus.
I doubt it'd be a measure the British public, or world public at large would admire.
When security shoots someone trespassing on a military base it's under the knowledge the buffoon sort of understands just how restricted the site is and thus how stupidly illegal and suicidal their conduct is.

If those BLM activists at London City Airport had been shot, a lot of people would have said they deserved it. Another lot of people would have been outraged at a needless display of violence against peaceful protesters, even though they were being completely thick.

So no. A shoot-on-sight approach to the Calais illegal migrants would serve no interest because ultimately it would defeat the border controls as the world's public turned against it.
A wall (assuming it's up to the task) would keep them out and not cost any lives.
Problem solved, no bloodshed.

Win-win.
We're gonna build a Great Wall, and France will pay for it
Original post by The_Opinion
You sound a little conflated.

Please explain how?
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
They'd just come back.

The only thing more amazing than their obsession with getting into the UK is the people who think their sheer bloodymindedness should be rewarded with an open door.

Although I'd love to see how they'd defeat the wall, as they'll inevitably try to.

There's a lot of European coastline for them to try illegal crossings.

It'd certainly set the back quite a bit though, especially if you enhanced security around the new camp.
Original post by L'absurde
Construction will begin shorty on the 'Great Wall of Calais'. It will cost the taxpayer £2million in an attempt to prevent migrants from crossing the Channel.
Do you think this is a waste of taxpayer pesos?
What is your opinion on the matter?

Spoiler

What would you think if there were refugee camps in America of people trying to get to Canada ?

How would you respond ?
Reply 26
Original post by democracyforum
What would you think if there were refugee camps in America of people trying to get to Canada ?

How would you respond ?

I asked first. You can't answer my question by asking me the same question. :colonhash:
Reply 27
Here comes our 21st century incarnation of the Berlin Wall, only this time in Calais. :rofl:
Original post by L'absurde
I asked first. You can't answer my question by asking me the same question. :colonhash:

I think France should deport them, and Europe should send foreign aid and ground troops to Syria instead.

Now answer my question.
Reply 29
I think France should deport them, and Europe should send foreign aid and ground troops to Syria instead.

Now answer my question.

Hmm...the foreign aid bit...how much and over how long a period?

How would you respond ?

Tear down the refugee camp and send them back to wherever they came from. Have the armed forces protect the border + build a wall if need be.
I think it's stupid, they let people come in illegally in too large numbers, and then they lock them up.
However something had to be done to protect the lorries, those immigrants keep damaging them all the time and destroying the cargo.
We need to build a big beautiful wall and in the middle of the wall there will a big red door where people can come in legally. The wall needs to be higher than Wiz Khalifa
Australia handled its immigration issue quite well. When boats were coming over they said "We'll send you back, but we're not gonna help you get here either" and the boats stopped. Europe is holding the migrants hands in getting into here but saying 'you can't stay' shipping them back and so they get to try again another day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending