The Student Room Group

LED lights in uni room

Literally everyone in my accommodation (university halls) has LED lights, I see pictures/videos, and I really want them for mine. I've not seen anyone's up close so I don't know how they're on the wall but our university accom policy is you can't put anything on the walls that will damage it, otherwise you have to pay when you move out.

I'm a wimp so haven't even stuck pictures on my walls because I'm scared the Blu Tac will leave a mark lol but everyone just pins stuff and puts these LED lights up.

Does anyone know if there's a way that LED lights can be put up without ruining a wall? Thanks :smile:
Original post by fudgeyx
Literally everyone in my accommodation (university halls) has LED lights, I see pictures/videos, and I really want them for mine. I've not seen anyone's up close so I don't know how they're on the wall but our university accom policy is you can't put anything on the walls that will damage it, otherwise you have to pay when you move out.

I'm a wimp so haven't even stuck pictures on my walls because I'm scared the Blu Tac will leave a mark lol but everyone just pins stuff and puts these LED lights up.

Does anyone know if there's a way that LED lights can be put up without ruining a wall? Thanks :smile:

The LED lights I've seen have an adhesive backing, so may well damage the wall as they're removed.

Are there any cupboards, or perhaps a wardrobe, that you could lay the lights on top of (without having to stick them down at all)? The LEDs would be pointing up, but that'll make little difference to the lighting effects you'll get.
Original post by fudgeyx

Hey there @fudgeyx !
I have frames and LED lights on my wall in my student accommodation. My frames are both stuck up with command strips and I've never had a problem with them. I did originally stick my LED lights up with blu-tac but they started to leave greasy marks on the wall where they'd been so I switched them over to command hooks after a month. I'd get them from either B&M or Wilkos as they tend to be the cheapest in there. Before doing anything though I'd consult your contract. My first year accommodation contract said I wasn't allowed anything stuck up on my walls but my second year contract said it was fine as long as they're stuck up with command strips, which I've done. It differs from contract to contract so definitely have a look at yours before doing anything.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by fudgeyx

Hey! I took my desk light from home - it has a colour changing lightbulb in it which I think is pretty neat. It uses one of those remote things. I know you can get them with the wifi version too, but since university wifi can be tricky with those kind of things I stuck with the remote.
Not been a huge fan of the sticky strip things, but my desk light does the same job :yep:

I also got myself a star projector a while back which is pretty cool.

Regarding the blue tack thing I'm like you and don't want to risk it :hide: I do stick stuff on things like the wardrobe/desk cabinet though as they come off pretty easily :smile:
Original post by fudgeyx

Hi there,
As some of the other posters have mentioned, Command strips are great to use if you're conscious of leaving marks as they don't (or have never in my experience!). Alternatively, I'd say having something that you can tie the end of the led lights to or something to use as a weight to hold them down. It's good that you're being conscious of leaving any marks, as this can lead to charges at the end of your tenancy.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by fudgeyx

Hi @fudgeyx

As some others have mentioned, I recommend the command strips! I have put posters and fairy lights up in my rooms using command strips and have had no issue with them ruining the walls. However, I would still see what your contract says as you do not want to risk any damage/loss of your deposit.

Alternatively, do you have a bookshelf or wardrobe that you could put them on but not 'stick'? Or even lay them on the outskirts of your floor? I don't know if they will have the same effect as having them high up, but it may still look nice! If you have time, I recommend that you have a play around to see what works.

I hope this helps.
Sara :smile:
Original post by fudgeyx

Hi there:smile:

LEDs are a super cool and fun way to light up your uni room and make it feel homely. I had colourful LEDs in my first year and white ones in my second year. In my first year I tried to use white tac but it wasn't strong enough to hold them up. I then came across command strips which I found really worked. i have never had an issue with them damaging walls etc but worst case scenario is that a bit of paint chips off. This is super common and a really easy quick fix. You can just go into anywhere where they sell paint and buy a small tester of white or whatever colour your walls are. If in doubt then try and find ways to tie them or prop them up around your room e.g. above your curtains, on your wardrobe/desk, around your cork board if you have one. Most of these will be made out of wood in which case you can use tape or something similar to hold them up. Hope this helps

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
I also wanted those neat LED lights in my uni room without messing up the walls. I used LED strip lights that have a special sticky back. It sticks well but doesn't rip off paint or leave any marks. You can find these at most places that sell LED lights.
Original post by fudgeyx

Hi there!

I've always used command strips to hang things up, these are great as they don't leave a mark when you remove them! I'd just double check your contract before putting them up as some have rules against it!

I hope this helps,
Rebecca, UCLan
Original post by fudgeyx

Hi there,

I faced a similar situation in my university halls. I also wanted to put up LED lights without damaging the walls. I found that using removable adhesive hooks or strips can be a great alternative. They are designed to hold firmly and remove cleanly without leaving any residue or damage. You can attach your LED lights to these hooks or strips. Just make sure to follow the instructions on the package for the best results. Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any questions,
Ilya :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending