The Student Room Group

Want to withdraw from university after a month?!

I've been at university for a week and a bit now, and I know it isn't very long but I just know it's a place where I'm not going to spend 3 years so I don't see the point in staying. I'm going to stick it out for another month but my question is, my tution loan isn't scheduled to be paid to the university until late November, does this mean that if I withdraw before then that I'll have to pay the tution fee loans myself?

Also in terms of accomodation, I'm in uni halls, will I have to pay them until the end of the year even though I'm not living here?

Please help I'm so stressed out I've made such a big mistake picking a uni so far away from home and I'm not even sure of the course I picked anymore. I want to leave this uni ASAP, go home, get a job, reapply to uni and then go back to a uni closer to home in September 2017. Help!
Original post by chloeohare98
I've been at university for a week and a bit now, and I know it isn't very long but I just know it's a place where I'm not going to spend 3 years so I don't see the point in staying. I'm going to stick it out for another month but my question is, my tution loan isn't scheduled to be paid to the university until late November, does this mean that if I withdraw before then that I'll have to pay the tution fee loans myself?

Also in terms of accomodation, I'm in uni halls, will I have to pay them until the end of the year even though I'm not living here?

Please help I'm so stressed out I've made such a big mistake picking a uni so far away from home and I'm not even sure of the course I picked anymore. I want to leave this uni ASAP, go home, get a job, reapply to uni and then go back to a uni closer to home in September 2017. Help!

The best thing to do is talk to your personal tutor or admissions at your university who are far more likely to be able to tell you the answers to your questions . Alternatively a student advisor at the student union could help you.

You should ask University accommodation what there policy is with regard to giving up your halls- as this may well vary from university to university. There is probably information about moving out in the tenancy agreement you signed so you could look there as well.

Once you know what the financial implications of leaving are you can make an informed choice. Are you 100% sure that this is not just homesickness ? One week is not long to decide it is not for ou- have you started yet or just had freshers week?

Don't forget that Student finance allow for a spare year- so even if there are finaicial implications for staying longer and seeing how it goes you would still be able to get finance for another degree if you later decide to leave.

Don't make any hasty decisions- what exactly makes you so sure that this is not the place for you- is it just the distance from home or there other things you are unhappy with?

Good Luck
Original post by watchingyouwatch
The best thing to do is talk to your personal tutor or admissions at your university who are far more likely to be able to tell you the answers to your questions . Alternatively a student advisor at the student union could help you.

You should ask University accommodation what there policy is with regard to giving up your halls- as this may well vary from university to university. There is probably information about moving out in the tenancy agreement you signed so you could look there as well.

Once you know what the financial implications of leaving are you can make an informed choice. Are you 100% sure that this is not just homesickness ? One week is not long to decide it is not for ou- have you started yet or just had freshers week?

Don't forget that Student finance allow for a spare year- so even if there are finaicial implications for staying longer and seeing how it goes you would still be able to get finance for another degree if you later decide to leave.

Don't make any hasty decisions- what exactly makes you so sure that this is not the place for you- is it just the distance from home or there other things you are unhappy with?

Good Luck

Our freshers week began a week ago and we had inductions all last week, and today was my first proper day at uni and I just didn't like the style of the course and the weeks are much longer than I expected with nearly 35 hours per week. Also my halls are one hour away from the campus, and involve two buses or a bus and then a train to get there. So even if I only have to go in for 2 hours it takes me the same length of time to get there and back. Also people who live on campus can go back to their accomodation between classes, so say I was in from 9am and had class from 9am-11:30am and then had nothing on until 4:30pm, I have to hang around the uni campus unless I want to travel back and then travel to the uni again. I think I've become disillusioned by the course I've picked and if I were to reapply I'm not sure if it would be for the same course. I'm sticking it out for another month to see, but unless the uni somehow moves closer to where I'm from then I can't see me staying. I found out that the tution fee loan actually gets paid on the 19th of October so in terms of that, I shouldn't have to pay it myself providing I leave after that. The only real issue is that I'm doing film and we've been put into groups but I don't want to leave and leave tehe other two in my group short of a screenwriter/editor so I'll probably also have to talk to the uni about that, but considering the film isn't actually graded then I don't think it should ebe that much of an issue. Anyway, thanks for the help, here's hoping I don't have to pay accomodation for the whole time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending