The Student Room Group

Dropped out of masters - overpayment

Hi

I have dropped out of my masters course in the last 2 weeks. I got enough credits to qualify with a PGdip.

My last loan instalment was paid to me in April. At the time I was told that if I dropped out I would not be required to pay this back if it was after the payment date, and it would be paid back as a regular SFE postgrad loan (coming out of my earnings).

However, I have received a reassessment of my funding and they have split the amount I was entitled to in half, and are now asking for £5600 to be paid back. Obviously I don't have that and have used this towards my course.
My understanding was that because I dropped out last week, way after the final payment date I would not be classed as being overpaid.

Please could you advise

I have called and the advisor had no idea what to do and has escalated the situation.

Many thanks,
A very worried masters drop out
Reply 1
Best you can do is wait on what they have to say and possibly appeal in the event that they try and force you to pay back money you dont have - which is odd considering this is a loan anyway isnt it?
Reply 2
It was multiple advisors on the postgraduate team at student finance, and also previous posts on here in writing where SFE have specifically answered.
I also have email correspondence with my uni that this would be the case.
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
Best you can do is wait on what they have to say and possibly appeal in the event that they try and force you to pay back money you dont have - which is odd considering this is a loan anyway isnt it?

This is what I can't understand - when I log onto student finance it now says application withdrawn.. I haven't withdrawn my application for finance, I still needed the loan to get as far as I did. Just keeping everything crossed this is a mistake.
Reply 4
@SFE Isaac please could I have your input on this - you advised previously I wouldn't need to pay back if I dropped out after the last instalment
Right now i would be checking with the uni. SFE withdraw your app if the uni said you wwithdrew. Get on to them to see what info they gave SFE.
Original post by Jbennett129
Hi

I have dropped out of my masters course in the last 2 weeks. I got enough credits to qualify with a PGdip.

My last loan instalment was paid to me in April. At the time I was told that if I dropped out I would not be required to pay this back if it was after the payment date, and it would be paid back as a regular SFE postgrad loan (coming out of my earnings).

However, I have received a reassessment of my funding and they have split the amount I was entitled to in half, and are now asking for £5600 to be paid back. Obviously I don't have that and have used this towards my course.
My understanding was that because I dropped out last week, way after the final payment date I would not be classed as being overpaid.

Please could you advise

I have called and the advisor had no idea what to do and has escalated the situation.

Many thanks,

Hi,

If you've received a payment and your withdrawal date was after the payment date that amount will be added to your balance as normal and repaid once you enter repayment/earn over the threshold. If your withdrawal date was before your payment date you'll be required to repay this amount immediately.

If we have the wrong withdrawal date then your university would have to resolve this.

You should call us or message us on Twitter/Facebook as I can't view your account via TSR.

Thanks, Isaac
It was multiple advisors on the postgraduate team at student finance, and also previous posts on here in writing where SFE have specifically answered.
I also have email correspondence with my uni that this would be the case.

Hi what ended up happening? did they require you to pay the full amount
Reply 8
Hey, they’ve required me to pay back half. They wouldn’t have, but the uni withdrew me incorrectly and put me to part time so it made it a 2 year course. Had they just withdrawn me the way I’d requested I wouldn’t owe anything. Currently got a complaint open with the uni regarding it- but no, as long the uni withdraws correctly student finance just get it back via normal repayments. Hope that helps!

Original post by SA2020Legal
Hi what ended up happening? did they require you to pay the full amount
Thanks for replying. I am second year part time so does that mean I will have to also? I’m dropping out and I’ve paid my final payment so this has stressed me out? Also I assume you’re on a payment plan, is it affordable how much do you pay a month?

I feel like they’re going ti make me pay £5k also

Hey, they’ve required me to pay back half. They wouldn’t have, but the uni withdrew me incorrectly and put me to part time so it made it a 2 year course. Had they just withdrawn me the way I’d requested I wouldn’t owe anything. Currently got a complaint open with the uni regarding it- but no, as long the uni withdraws correctly student finance just get it back via normal repayments. Hope that helps!
Reply 10
Original post by SA2020Legal
Thanks for replying. I am second year part time so does that mean I will have to also? I’m dropping out and I’ve paid my final payment so this has stressed me out? Also I assume you’re on a payment plan, is it affordable how much do you pay a month?

I feel like they’re going ti make me pay £5k also

No they won’t, it’s because they changed mine to a part time 2 year course and I dropped out during the first year, if you’re in the final year and been paid the final payment you won’t owe anything :smile:
No they won’t, it’s because they changed mine to a part time 2 year course and I dropped out during the first year, if you’re in the final year and been paid the final payment you won’t owe anything :smile:

Thank you once again for replying. Sorry that has happened but make sure you exhaust all options with the university
Hi, how much are you paying monthly towards the plan, I think I might be put on one due to being part time LPC/ LLM so would like to know

although I have done my final exams,. I won't be handing in the second year work as I and dropping out
Hi

Please could you advise

Many thanks,
Reply 13
I really don’t think you would have to pay it back if you’re just going to withdraw completely from the course, based on all the information I’ve had from SFE about my situation.

I’m not currently paying anything back as my complaint with the uni is still open, however when I’ve spoken to SFE it can be a plan of as little at £10/£20 a month

Hope that helps!

(Original post by SA2020Legal)Hi, how much are you paying monthly towards the plan, I think I might be put on one due to being part time LPC/ LLM so would like to know

although I have done my final exams,. I won't be handing in the second year work as I and dropping out
that makes sense thanks. Im not dropping out of the LPC I will still be doing the LPC it will just be the LLM if that makes sense so the law and business masters I cant be asked redoing the exams due to personal reasons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending