The Student Room Group

What is the point in humanity?

If we assume that the meaning of life, in a biological sense, is to reproduce, what is the point in that? Why should we propagate our species, just for them to reproduce again? Is there an end goal, or is it only to keep humanity alive that we do this?

Scroll to see replies

we are evolving into a better species...
God, I don't know. But I sure as hell don't wanna die.
Original post by the bear
we are evolving into a better species...

Why do we need to get better? Better at what?
Original post by Athena64

we are becoming Supermen. ( and women i guess ) *
...mm.good question:cookie:

this may sound very weird but what if we evolve into aliens?
don't hate if u disagree:smile:
u know i think that will be cool
Original post by the bear
we are becoming Supermen. ( and women i guess ) *

For what purpose? Just to be cool and great and stuff? To create the perfect society?
Purpose is a human construct. There is no purpose in anything. Humanity has no 'point'.
Original post by tamil fever

Huh.

This has got me thinking, maybe if we meet aliens we'd have a reason to keep humanity going; to exchange information and our resources, and our beliefs and culture. That'd be fun.

Unless they try and invade us and don't care. :'(
Why must there be an intrinsic point?
The remarkable thing about being human is the ability to define your own goals and reasons.
Huh.

This has got me thinking, maybe if we meet aliens we'd have a reason to keep humanity going; to exchange information and our resources, and our beliefs and culture. That'd be fun.

Unless they try and invade us and don't care. :'(

yh maybe:smile:
we might build the first human UFO.it might turn out like Star Wars
Evolutionarily, the point seems to be to just be to survive as a species. Beyond that, I think that it's down to each individual to decide what to do with their lives.
there's no point in it at all
there's no point in anything, actually
None, all meaning is arbitrary
Humanity.
Spot the point?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Might have to disagree with you here. For example, when you do not have work you may sleep in, because you don't have a 'purpose' to wake up. And the reason one goes to work or school also has a purpose. You might be right in that there are not purposes, but we humans like to put purpose into things, like repurposing wood into paper for literature, and working because we put meaning into little bits of coin (money).

Though, asking this question really has no purpose. We can live without ever raising this question.
Original post by tamil fever

Didn't people start doing that last year?

(edited 7 years ago)
How do you make pictures smaller, no one wants to see that picture that big
If we assume that the meaning of life, in a biological sense, is to reproduce, what is the point in that? Why should we propagate our species, just for them to reproduce again? Is there an end goal, or is it only to keep humanity alive that we do this?

Why does there have to be a point? I can see it from a survival of the species aspect, but thats about it. Humanity can make its own targets if it wishes to. You will need to clarify your question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending