The Student Room Group

FP1 Series Question... Need help please..

image.jpeg
I can do part a and part b correctly, but can't find do part C:frown::frown::frown:
Really need help please!!!
I can use the answer from part B but I can't see the connection between A and C and can't get the correct answer:frown:
Original post by Oliviazh
image.jpeg
I can do part a and part b correctly, but can't find do part C:frown::frown::frown:
Really need help please!!!
I can use the answer from part B but I can't see the connection between A and C and can't get the correct answer:frown:

Well you could just expand the quadratic and do 3 different sums. Can't go wrong with that.
(edited 7 years ago)
i don't really think you need to use part a) for part c)

:redface:*
Original post by the bear
i don't really think you need to use part a) for part c)

:redface:*

Just an off-topic question; why do you always put asterisks on everything you write?? lol
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
Well you could just expand the quadratic and do 3 different sums. Can't go wrong with that.

Well I did that but still wrong answer...must be something wrong with the calculation:frown:
Well I did that but still wrong answer...must be something wrong with the calculation:frown:

Why are you using a calculator?? I mean, you're allowed yeah, but for what? There's nothing to calculate. You're probably factoring wrong. Show your working if you get stuck

(2r1)2=4r24r+1(2r-1)^2=4r^2-4r+1

So r=1n(4r24r+1)=r=1n(4r2)+r=1n(4r)+r=1n(1)\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{n} (4r^2-4r+1) = \sum_{r=1}^n (4r^2) + \sum_{r=1}^{n} (-4r) + \sum_{r=1}^{n} (1)

The first term you can say that 4r2=(2r)24r^2=(2r)^2 and use the result from part b.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Why are you using a calculator?? I mean, you're allowed yeah, but for what? There's nothing to calculate.

(2r1)2=4r24r+1(2r-1)^2=4r^2-4r+1

So r=1n(4r24r+1)=r=1n(4r2)+r=1n(4r)+r=1n(1)\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{n} (4r^2-4r+1) = \sum_{r=1}^n (4r^2) + \sum_{r=1}^{n} (-4r) + \sum_{r=1}^{n} (1)

The first term you can say that 4r2=(2r)24r^2=(2r)^2 and use the result above.

Um..I didn't use a calculator...I mean there must be something wrong with my calculation😂
Just a quick question, for the last term in your equation, does the result of that part equal to 1 or n?
Um..I didn't use a calculator...I mean there must be something wrong with my calculation😂
Just a quick question, for the last term in your equation, does the result of that part equal to 1 or n?

Misread but there's still no calculation anyway lol. And yes. You are summing up 1 and nn amount of times so it's 1*n hence n.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Yes. You are summing up 1 and nn amount of times so it's 1*n hence n.

Thank you😃
Reply 9
Meh, the above is overkill.

Better to think of it as summing the odd terms up till 2n-1, you know the sum of all terns from 1 to 2n and you know the sum of even terms from 1 to 2n. So the sum of all terms - sum of even terms (i.e: part a - part b) gets you what you want.
Just an off-topic question; why do you always put asterisks on everything you write?? lol

i don't.... it's some kind of bug which afflicts people with 12 gems ?

the TSR techies are baffled

:teehee: *

Quick Reply

Latest