The Student Room Group

Bsc Adult Nursing straight onto Msc Midwifery?!

Hi, i am currently in my third year of adult nursing studies and hope to qualify in Sept 2017. I really enjoy it but my heart has always been set on midwifery, therefore, i was thinking of going straight into the Msc Midwifery course in Sept 2017 once i finish this course. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and can give me any info atall. Is the midwifery course difficult, am i likely to get in straight after adult nursing course with little experience? Should i work as a registered nurse for a while then start the course. My plan was to finish my degree in Sept 2017 hopefully get on the bank work as a staff nurse on the bank and while doing so start the Msc Midwifery course? Am i hoping for too much or is this possible? I will only be 20 when i qualify and will be lacking experience but midwifery is really what i want to do and i feel that if i get a full time staff nurse job i will get to used to the money and will be out of study mode which might deter me from coming back to do it :frown:

Kirsty xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KirstyL18
Hi, i am currently in my third year of adult nursing studies and hope to qualify in Sept 2017. I really enjoy it but my heart has always been set on midwifery, therefore, i was thinking of going straight into the Msc Midwifery course in Sept 2017 once i finish this course. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and can give me any info atall. Is the midwifery course difficult, am i likely to get in straight after adult nursing course with little experience? Should i work as a registered nurse for a while then start the course. My plan was to finish my degree in Sept 2017 hopefully get on the bank work as a staff nurse on the bank and while doing so start the Msc Midwifery course? Am i hoping for too much or is this possible? I will only be 20 when i qualify and will be lacking experience but midwifery is really what i want to do and i feel that if i get a full time staff nurse job i will get to used to the money and will be out of study mode which might deter me from coming back to do it :frown:

Kirsty xx

Yes, this is possible. However, postgrad midwifery options are limited and the number of spaces is extremely low. This is, of course, not to say that it is impossible, but generally universities are trying to discourage those who do not intend to practice nursing from doing a nursing degree.*
Nurse banks will (if they are any good) usually not let newly qualified nurses onto the bank without a certain amount of time in employment as a staff nurse. Of course, you can still join the bank, but will only be paid as a band 2/3. While this isn't a huge issue, financially it will be something to consider (as well as the time it takes to get onto a nursing bank).*

My recommendation, if you are certain that you would like to be a midwife, is to apply for this but also to apply for some staff nurse posts. Working as a full time staff nurse for a period could allow you to build up your confidence, gain experience and also save some money, so is certainly not a bad option.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte49
Yes, this is possible. However, postgrad midwifery options are limited and the number of spaces is extremely low. This is, of course, not to say that it is impossible, but generally universities are trying to discourage those who do not intend to practice nursing from doing a nursing degree.*
Nurse banks will (if they are any good) usually not let newly qualified nurses onto the bank without a certain amount of time in employment as a staff nurse. Of course, you can still join the bank, but will only be paid as a band 2/3. While this isn't a huge issue, financially it will be something to consider (as well as the time it takes to get onto a nursing bank).*

My recommendation, if you are certain that you would like to be a midwife, is to apply for this but also to apply for some staff nurse posts. Working as a full time staff nurse for a period could allow you to build up your confidence, gain experience and also save some money, so is certainly not a bad option.

Thanks for getting back to me! Initially i applied for midwifery however when i went for my interview they told me they had limited midwifery spaces and that they would consider me for the Adult Nursing course which im on just now and totally love but i still strongly feel like i would love to be a midwife! Im on the bank just now as a band 2 healthcare assistant so im making myself familiar around the wards in hope for when i qualify i can get a job on one of them. Maybe i am best working as a staff nurse for a while and gaining more experience eh? I wouldnt want to waste my degree by not being able to work as a nurse when i qualify as its something i really enjoy and feel that i would enjoy midwifery equally... ah decisions decisions maybe its worth applying for and i can find out my options even if i dont get in. Thanks again for getting back to me xx
Thanks for getting back to me! Initially i applied for midwifery however when i went for my interview they told me they had limited midwifery spaces and that they would consider me for the Adult Nursing course which im on just now and totally love but i still strongly feel like i would love to be a midwife! Im on the bank just now as a band 2 healthcare assistant so im making myself familiar around the wards in hope for when i qualify i can get a job on one of them. Maybe i am best working as a staff nurse for a while and gaining more experience eh? I wouldnt want to waste my degree by not being able to work as a nurse when i qualify as its something i really enjoy and feel that i would enjoy midwifery equally... ah decisions decisions maybe its worth applying for and i can find out my options even if i dont get in. Thanks again for getting back to me xx

Personally, if I was in your situation, I would take the (small) chance that I'd get onto the midwifery course and apply anyway. The worst that can happen is you get rejected and try again next year. Also apply for staff nurse posts (these are advertised sometimes as early as February or March) to make sure that you aren't stuck with nothing to do. You're better off keeping your options open and I think you would regret not trying for midwifery.*

Kirsty xx

RN to RM courses usually require a number of years of post -reg experience as an RN before entry - that afterall is the entire reason they exist to provide breadth and depth to the Midwifery workforce - DE midwifery has been going for sufficiently long enough for that to be the main provider of NQMs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending