The Student Room Group

Midwifery

Hi!

So I have a degree in criminology with psychology finished 2020. However it is not for me and I’ve always wanted to do midwifery so I want to do it next year

However, do I need to do an undergraduate study or post graduate? My friend has an under grad degree in finance but now has switched and is doing a postgraduate in adult nursing so
Wondering would it be the same for me with midwifery?
Original post by ml99
Hi!

So I have a degree in criminology with psychology finished 2020. However it is not for me and I’ve always wanted to do midwifery so I want to do it next year

However, do I need to do an undergraduate study or post graduate? My friend has an under grad degree in finance but now has switched and is doing a postgraduate in adult nursing so

You need to search for Pre-Registration MSc courses. From the quick search I have just done, the 2-year courses appear to be for nurses who want to become midwives. Otherwises the courses take three years - the same as undergraduate courses.

If you get your funding from SFE, whether you choose a BSc or MSc, the course should be exempt from previous study and ELQ rules and you will be eligible to access the full package of undergraduate funding. This means you will be eligible to apply for tuition fees of up to £9250 and the means tested maintenance loan. You will also be able to apply for Disabled Students Allowance and Grants for Dependents. Also, if you apply to a uni in England, you would be eligible for additional support from the NHS Learning Support Fund which provides an annual training grant of £5,000 per year and covers placement expenses:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7324327
(edited 5 months ago)
Postgrad entry varies by university, some want a relevant undergraduate (e.g. science, health, etc.), others will accept any undergraduate degree (especially when combined with care experience).

There's no one answer, so you need to check each University's entry requirements. I'd recommend searching for the health careers degree finder website, filtering to show "midwifery" and "postgraduate/accelerated", and go through the generated list of universities with postgraduate conversion courses in midwifery.

During enquiries or applications you could always highlight the psychology side of your degree as providing some relevant science, health, and communication training.

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ml99
Hi!

Hi
I did a psychology course prior to doing my midwife degree and unfortunately I had to do the full three years of the degree course. You'll be able to apply for funding.

If you were a qualified adult nurse or children nurse then you could have applied for the shortened 18/20 months top-up degree course for midwifery because you don't need as much training because you would have already had the basics of nursing behind you so all you would be doing is learning how the woman body change for motherhood and also how to do births.

So you'll have to do the full three years of the midwifery degree course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending