The Student Room Group

Is drinking a big part of uni life?

I'm currently year 13 and thinking of going away to university next summer but I'm worried the fact I don't drink will effect my opportunity to make friends.

I see posts on Facebook of people in the year above me (first year of uni) and all they seem to do is go out clubbing and drinking. I have a massive phobia of sick and although I am getting help to sort it out I'm scared I won't be able to get over it and so won't be going to the parties.

I'm already introverted and I'm worried this is just going to be another barrier for trying to make new friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I enjoy drinking so much! jk

Spoiler

First year student here! No, you don't have to drink. Go out and drink non-alcoholic drinks and also you'll find quite a few don't drink. Don't worry about it, most conversations will go like this.

Them: Hey! Want a drink?
You: I don't drink alcohol, sorry.
Them: Okay. Want a coke?
Reply 3
No. You don't have to drink to have fun. No one's gonna force you to drink and if they do then they're not worth hanging out with.
no way I'm a final year and have never drank, smoke or been clubbing but still have so many friends! As long as your a sociable person you'll be fine because most if not all people at uni are so nice and understanding and want to make friends!
Original post by bellalalaxo
First year student here! No, you don't have to drink. Go out and drink non-alcoholic drinks and also you'll find quite a few don't drink. Don't worry about it, most conversations will go like this.

Then there is me who doesn't like fizzy drinks

Spoiler

Reply 6
If you want it to be, it can be. if not, it doesnt have to be
The only hot drinks i like are tea or hot chocolate but i hardly drink them. Beer and wine tastes fizzy to me even though my parents insist that it doesn't. I don't mind vodka but thats about it.
Reply 8
Good to hear I'm not completely strange 😂 I feel a bit better now. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WowClo
I'm currently year 13 and thinking of going away to university next summer but I'm worried the fact I don't drink will effect my opportunity to make friends.

I see posts on Facebook of people in the year above me (first year of uni) and all they seem to do is go out clubbing and drinking. I have a massive phobia of sick and although I am getting help to sort it out I'm scared I won't be able to get over it and so won't be going to the parties.

I'm already introverted and I'm worried this is just going to be another barrier for trying to make new friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :smile:,

It's only a big part of university life if you want to be. Simple as that.
If you want to drink and let it be what your first year is all about then yes it will be but if you don't like drinking or don't want to drink, then it won't be. Simple!

No one judges you for not drinking at university because nobody is that shallow. People will respect you for your decision and you'll still be able to make friends.

Good luck!
Yes, but no really.
No one is going to force you to drink but you can easily feel left out if your'e not drinking (but I think people think that people are noticing more than they actually are).
Original post by bellalalaxo

Good to see people are nice!:smile:
Original post by WowClo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't drink either! So it's fine 😂
Yes, its a massive part of uni life for the majority. No you definitely don't have to drink and nobody will judge and you can still have an amazing time (know a few people who don't and they have plenty of pals)

Personally I didn't really drink that much before university and love that whole side of things, its fun and sociable. Though I totally understand why some don't want to and I don't think anybody would ever ever force someone into drinking, or judge someone for not.
Reply 14
Original post by Daniellejadde
I don't drink either! So it's fine 😂

Haha we can be sober clubbing together 😂
Depends where you stay - in halls, on a flat on your own or with mum and dad.
I never found it to be a massive issue though, it will be if you let it to be.
there will always be people in uni who dont drink and dont judge you based on whether you drink or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hachik0
The only hot drinks i like are tea or hot chocolate but i hardly drink them. Beer and wine tastes fizzy to me even though my parents insist that it doesn't. I don't mind vodka but thats about it.

Think thats the same for most people when they start and until they get used to the fizzy drink aspect. If you keep trying different beers then you might start to really like them.

Alternatively spirits and mixer is always pretty good
Original post by WowClo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went out and I mostly drunk J20 or coke or if I was in Orange Rooms Mocktail and I had no problems for 4 years.
I don't drink for pretty much the same reason. I have a phobia of sick as well.

I was really worried about drinking before I went to uni, but it's been fine really. In freshers week I went on my course group chat and asked if people wanted to go to the freshers events together, and met people through this. Some of them drank, some of them didn't (there are more people who don't drink than you'd think). I spoke to lots of people and although the majority were really nice, I found a group of great friends that I clicked with, all of whom drink and go out. They don't care that I don't drink or go out much. I just go out to pres with them and then when they head out afterwards I head back to my flat.

Don't be afraid to go out to bars, clubs or pubs. Normally I just drink tap water (for free, which is great) or a j20. In my experience, people are respectful of the fact that I don't want to drink. I've never met anyone who has tried to convince me to drink. However, do try out the non-drinking events as well. Societies are great for meeting people, and some might have a society for non-drinkers (mine does, I'm not in it personally but from what I've heard they go to the cinema and have pizza nights etc.).

You might find yourself having to make more of an effort than those who do drink. The majority of students do drink and halls put you in this ready made group of people who are generally expected to have a common interest in drinking. People get nervous about starting uni, even if you can't really tell from the get go, so drinking helps people socialize. You might end up having to put yourself out there a bit more to find friends, but it's by no means impossible, and try not to limit yourself to non-drinkers :smile:
Yes. I had a friend who encouraged me to spend more time drinking with him in the student bar - Essex University in 1997. He deliberately studied behind my back at the weekend. It was a bit of a show towards the end of the year, when he was revising for his exams and I was left in a state of alcoholic wilderness. It was all a con. We contacted each other since and exchanged profuse messages. If only I just drank at the weekend myself (without him.) It was all a con. I was deceived by his maturity and intellect. He really was just taking me for a ride. You have to realise that with drink being part of your social life. If someone in a pub just uses you to buy them drinks. That also happened. People always relied on me to buy them drinks!

This must be kept confidential. The friend in question was a Nick Dewey of Marlow, Bucks. He now lives in Oxford. He is now a tarot reader (a.k.a. Nick Dutch.) Please keep this secret! I'll never forgive him! Everyone thought we were really good friends - two eccentric students having a good drink in our spare time. But sadly, it all ended in tears! To think he was just taking me for a ride. he only drank when I did. He'd normally only get drunk twice a week. What a con.

Advice for the future - watch out to see who your real friends are!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending