The Student Room Group

But why didn't you tell me earlier???

Hello,

I'm currently appealing a decision against my university to suspend my course as I've failed 1 out of 6 modules in my first year. Without going into to too much detail I've had a lot going with my family/home life and was caring a lot for a disabled family member.

Although I knew it was impacting me I really hoped I wouldn't be in this position. The university now wants to know why I didn't tell them earlier in order to consider my appeal but I have no good reason. Honestly, I didn't feel comfortable mentioning my problems with anyone at the university and especially when I had started so recently it felt a bit much to blurt it all out.

I don't know what to do?
Original post by fuedgr
Hello,

I'm currently appealing a decision against my university to suspend my course as I've failed 1 out of 6 modules in my first year. Without going into to too much detail I've had a lot going with my family/home life and was caring a lot for a disabled family member.

Although I knew it was impacting me I really hoped I wouldn't be in this position. The university now wants to know why I didn't tell them earlier in order to consider my appeal but I have no good reason. Honestly, I didn't feel comfortable mentioning my problems with anyone at the university and especially when I had started so recently it felt a bit much to blurt it all out.

I don't know what to do?

You need to read the rules on failing exams and appealing.

If you cant handle the appeal yourself go to the students union and get one of the advisors to help you.

You dont make it clear what your exact situation is, so it will help someone who is trying to advise you at the students union, if they are able to interview you properly.

Having read the rules in appeal and understanding the criteria, then you will have to explain what has gone on. If you are using cating for a disabled family member as a significant contributing factor, then I would consider explaining.

Why you are needed? How many hours a week it takes. How draining or burdensome it is. What looking after them involves. How its affected your studies.Your fmaily situation and why its you that has to do the caring.

Why you didnt tell them before weakens your case as they are sceptical abut people who mention things after the event.

The typical angle to go for would be

You are private, you would be embarrased., you thought you could cope, you were stressed and didnt think, you didnt wnat to look weak, you thought you could cope but didnt realuse how demanding uni was, you realise now keeping it to yourself was a mistake. Any events that happened which made it more burdensome i,e even more time consuming or a worsening of the condition.

A letter supporting and confirming your role as a carer would help. Social worker or GP or both.

You are going to have to also mention the other fmaily life stuff to paint a picture of someone under stress who couldnt cope but didnt realise it at the time.

The normal way of these things is that:
1. If you were close to passing i.e 38-39% they cna give you a condoned pass.
2. If you were close they may let you proceed and retake the single module in the second year as well.
3. If you failed by more they are more likely t require a resit, although you would normally have go your result back in the summer and the resit would be about now.
4. You may have to resit next summer and they will not let you progress. That means just the exam.
5. They may require you to take retake i,e do all the lectures again, but thats usually only after a failed resit.

Go and see an advisor and collect evidence. You can only present the best case you can but telling someone after the event is much weaker as it looks like an excuse you just made up because things didnt go your way, hence you have to make it as credible as possible. Go and see a welfare counsellor as well who deal with social work issues so they cna assess the stress its having and the fact you are taking it seriously.

Not sure what you are expecting to achieve via your appeal. You need to read the rules and it explains what happens in most situations.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You need to read the rules on failing exams and appealing.

If you cant handle the appeal yourself go to the students union and get one of the advisors to help you.

You dont make it clear what your exact situation is, so it will help someone who is trying to advise you at the students union, if they are able to interview you properly.

Having read the rules in appeal and understanding the criteria, then you will have to explain what has gone on. If you are using cating for a disabled family member as a significant contributing factor, then I would consider explaining.

Why you are needed? How many hours a week it takes. How draining or burdensome it is. What looking after them involves. How its affected your studies.Your fmaily situation and why its you that has to do the caring.

Why you didnt tell them before weakens your case as they are sceptical abut people who mention things after the event.

The typical angle to go for would be

You are private, you would be embarrased., you thought you could cope, you were stressed and didnt think, you didnt wnat to look weak, you thought you could cope but didnt realuse how demanding uni was, you realise now keeping it to yourself was a mistake. Any events that happened which made it more burdensome i,e even more time consuming or a worsening of the condition.

A letter supporting and confirming your role as a carer would help. Social worker or GP or both.

You are going to have to also mention the other fmaily life stuff to paint a picture of someone under stress who couldnt cope but didnt realise it at the time.

The normal way of these things is that:
1. If you were close to passing i.e 38-39% they cna give you a condoned pass.
2. If you were close they may let you proceed and retake the single module in the second year as well.
3. If you failed by more they are more likely t require a resit, although you would normally have go your result back in the summer and the resit would be about now.
4. You may have to resit next summer and they will not let you progress. That means just the exam.
5. They may require you to take retake i,e do all the lectures again, but thats usually only after a failed resit.

Go and see an advisor and collect evidence. You can only present the best case you can but telling someone after the event is much weaker as it looks like an excuse you just made up because things didnt go your way, hence you have to make it as credible as possible. Go and see a welfare counsellor as well who deal with social work issues so they cna assess the stress its having and the fact you are taking it seriously.

Not sure what you are expecting to achieve via your appeal. You need to read the rules and it explains what happens in most situations.

Thank you, this is really helpful! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending