The Student Room Group

URGENT : what does he mean?

I had an interview on Thursday last week . The interviewer emailed me yesterday saying I gave a strong interview but the position was offered to another candidate.

However he added this

"If our offer were to be rejected, we would get back to you".

What does this even mean?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Raineyyyy
I had an interview on Thursday last week . The interviewer emailed me yesterday saying I gave a strong interview but the position was offered to another candidate.

However he added this

"If our offer were to be rejected, we would get back to you".

What does this even mean?

You were second and if the person rejects the offer then you will be contacted.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
You were second and if the person rejects the offer then you will be contacted.

But I don't think there was another person. I think I was the only candidate and the main issue is that I require a visa sponsorship for this role
But I don't think there was another person. I think I was the only candidate and the main issue is that I require a visa sponsorship for this role

Why not just tell you that you were unsuccessful then? How do you know how many candidates were considered?
Reply 4

People are often interviewed on different days.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Why not just tell you that you were unsuccessful then? How do you know how many candidates were considered?

I went on campus to give the interview and I reached 2 hours earlier. I didn't see anyone before and after my interview. Unless the interview was on teams.

But they already know I require visa sponsorship so why still say that would reach out in case offer is declined?
Reply 6
People are often interviewed on different days.

The interview was 1 day only as it was written in job advert and they said it themselves
Reply 7
The interview was 1 day only as it was written in job advert and they said it themselves

Yes but at different times or different parts of the building. Even in school we do that to keep confidentiality.
I went on campus to give the interview and I reached 2 hours earlier. I didn't see anyone before and after my interview. Unless the interview was on teams.

Even when we interview multiple candidates over one day we stagger them so they don't interact with each other.

But they already know I require visa sponsorship so why still say that would reach out in case offer is declined?

Because they thought you were a very credible candidiate and would be next in line? Again, no point them lying to flatter you, it's more likely they are being honest. Employers tell candidates all day long that they weren't successful. There's no point in them making stuff up. They don't need to make it easier for you or them.
Reply 9

So you think they’re lying when they say it was offered to another candidate? That seems unlikely to me.
Reply 10
Even when we interview multiple candidates over one day we stagger them so they don't interact with each other.

Because they thought you were a very credible candidiate and would be next in line? Again, no point them lying to flatter you, it's more likely they are being honest. Employers tell candidates all day long that they weren't successful. There's no point in them making stuff up. They don't need to make it easier for you or them.

But the person offered the job would take it anyway so why say this. It just gives false hope doesn't it
Reply 11
Original post by Notnek
So you think they’re lying when they say it was offered to another candidate? That seems unlikely to me.

I feel maybe it's because of the visa issues, they couldn't select me?
Reply 12
Yes but at different times or different parts of the building. Even in school we do that to keep confidentiality.

Oh okay. I see
Reply 13
I feel maybe it's because of the visa issues, they couldn't select me?

Did they not know you required sponsorship before the interview? Normally that’s found out prior.
Reply 14
Original post by Notnek
Did they not know you required sponsorship before the interview? Normally that’s found out prior.

They knew as I had already told them
But the person offered the job would take it anyway so why say this. It just gives false hope doesn't it

Candidates turn down offers all the time. In that instance you would be offered the job and (presumably) sponsorship too.

Edit: Most jobs adverts stipulate whether you need to have the right to work in the relevant country. If you'd already told them that you needed a visa and they couldn't sponsor you, they just wouldn't have interviewed you in the first place.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 16
They knew as I had already told them

So if you were the only candidate, why would they interview you knowing that you required sponsorship and then reject you because you require sponsorship? And then lie about the reason they rejected you?

It all seems a bit far-fetched to me. I would just accept that they are telling the truth and stop thinking too much about it.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 17
Candidates turn down offers all the time. In that instance you would be offered the job and (presumably) to sponsor you too.

Do you think I have a chance? I had all the skills and I am doing the exact job they want in their role. Also I answered every question and said confident, excellent and brilliant to my answers.

I really wanted this role as I loved the uni too :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by Notnek
So if you were the only candidate, why would they interview you knowing that you required sponsorship and then reject you because you require sponsorship? And then lie about the reason they rejected you?

It all seems a bit far-fetched to me. I would just accept that they are telling the truth and stop thinking too much about it.

In the application form there was no option for living in the UK and require sponsorship. The only option they had was not living the UK and require sponsorship.

However, I mentioned this prior to the interview and during interview too.
Reply 19

Interviews should be a two-way process -- the employer is look to see if they want to employ you, and you're looking to see if you want to work for them.

Sometimes other factors come into play, like salary. In some jobs the pay on offer is a range. Some candidates might want to be paid towards the top of the scale, but the employer might decide based on the interview that they're only prepared to offer a role somewhere towards the bottom.

And perhaps the other candidate has more interviews lined up in the near future; if they're offered a job in one of those interviews they might decline the offer they've already received in favour of a different job.

There are plenty of reasons why someone offered a job might not take it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending