The Student Room Group

C1 question help

Translating from welsh so bear with me:

"The Coordinates of A, B, and C are (6, -3), (-10,9) and (12,5), respectively. Find out the lengths of the lines AB, BC, CA. Prove it is a right angle triangle"

I've found out the lengths (AB: 20, BC: 10√5, CA: 10), but i don't know how to prove it's a right angle triangle.
Original post by jackman420
Translating from welsh so bear with me:

"The Coordinates of A, B, and C are (6, -3), (-10,9) and (12,5), respectively. Find out the lengths of the lines AB, BC, CA. Prove it is a right angle triangle"

I've found out the lengths (AB: 20, BC: 10√5, CA: 10), but i don't know how to prove it's a right angle triangle.

Pythagoras

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Work out the gradient of the three lines. If there is a right angle, there must be two lines that are perpendicular to each other meaning:

(gradient of line 1) * (gradient of line 2) = -1

So if there was a line that had gradient 3/4 and another that had gradient -4/3, then those two lines are perpendicular so there would be a right angle.

What you did there was just the first step.

Btw, I'm also doing C1, so I'm not exactly sure I'm getting this correct.
Reply 3
Got 500=500 using pythagoras. thanks mate
Reply 4
Original post by Baaah
Work out the gradient of the three lines. If there is a right angle, there must be two lines that are perpendicular to each other meaning:

(gradient of line 1) * (gradient of line 2) = -1

So if there was a line that had gradient 3/4 and another that had gradient -4/3, then those two lines are perpendicular so there would be a right angle.

What you did there was just the first step.

Btw, I'm also doing C1, so I'm not exactly sure I'm getting this correct.

This is also a nice method that I will keep in mind. Thanks
Original post by jackman420
This is also a nice method that I will keep in mind. Thanks

Good idea, it will become important when you look at coordinate geometry of lines intersecting circles (in C2 if you do Edexcel)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest