The Student Room Group

if minimum offer is AAB, is someone who got A*AA and AAB looked at the same

as in, are there benefits in exceeding the minimum offer?
Reply 1
That completely depends on the university and course you're applying to, generally I'd assume that the better your grades, the more likely you are to get an offer. However, I'm applying to Oxford to do physics and I have been told by the head of physics that my score in the admissions test is pretty much the only thing they care about. So if you have to do an admissions test, then that's probably the most important thing and it doesn't matter what your previous or predicted grades are. If there's no test then you'll be judged by your grades and personal statement. Once you've got an offer though, it doesn't matter at all if you get AAB or A*A*A* because they already agreed to accept you.
Do you mean before or after you have received an offer?If you are predicted above the minimum offer you will be more likely to be made an offer, but once you have received an offer there is no difference between just meeting it or exceeding it.
Reply 3
Original post by dfbenjamin
Do you mean before or after you have received an offer?If you are predicted above the minimum offer you will be more likely to be made an offer, but once you have received an offer there is no difference between just meeting it or exceeding it.

i mean before just in terms of university shortlisting, anyone who meets minimum is the same?
Reply 4
Original post by shredder-21
i mean before just in terms of university shortlisting, anyone who meets minimum is the same?

Which course and universities are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Which course and universities are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

already applied, imperial,ucl,cambridge,st georges for medicine
Reply 6
Original post by shredder-21
already applied, imperial,ucl,cambridge,st georges for medicine

With an AAB prediction? For medicine...?
Reply 7
no A*A*AA predicition this is a general question i have
Reply 8
If you mean before getting an offer, then your predicted grades DO matter.
An A*AA is much more likely to get an offer than AAB (apart from a few unis/courses which consider the admission test score as more important) even though the minimum requirement is only AAB

But after you get the AAB offer, it doesn't matter whether you achieved AAB or A*AA as you would have met the offer anyway

However, you are applying to medicine which is likely to be an exception as the UKCAT/BMAT probably has more weight than your grades for most medical schools
(edited 7 years ago)
The only universities that talk about a MINIMUM offer are Edinburgh and some of the other scottish universities. They do this because they have the flexibility of choosing between first and second year entry for people with grades far in excess of that level.

At other UK universities then an offer RANGE (eg AAA-AAB or AAA-ABB) will usually vary depending on either the subject offered (so some bio courses make higher offers to applicants with fewer science A levels) or contextual admissions data (so the lower offer is reserved for people from specific backgrounds or schools).

If you're unsure about why a course has a range of grades in their standard offer then ASK THEM. Universities are generally very open about their admissions processes because they're not interested in attracting applications that they're likely to reject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending