The Student Room Group

are my grades good enough for MC firms?

right- so for A levels- the MC want:

Slaughter and May: just "good" (vague- dont really know what qualifies as good but sure)

Linklaters: no minimum

freshfields: no minimum

Allen and Overy: AAB

Clifford and Chance: 340 UCAS points

(i'm at a good, non Loxbridge Russel group uni which is pretty good for MC recruitment)

i have A*BB (A in epq)

7A's, 2A*s (at GCSE)

i don't know if this is good enough for the MC, for Clifford and Chance, for instance- they want 340 UCAS points- but i'm on 400- so am i eligible for working there, same with Freshfields, Linklaters, and Slaughters, even though there is "no minimum"- is there a practical/expected one- similar to how Oxford PPE doesnt officially require maths- but the vast majority of candidates do have maths- so even though they say "we don't look at A levels"- the bulk of candidates will be AAA+ because they actually do filter on this as a more implicit rule?

also i saw A&O ask for "AAB or equivalent"- is this referring to other grading systems like International Baccalaureate, or equivalent in UCAS points- to which i'm over the requirement.

basically, am i pretty much unable for the MC based on my pretty average grades?
(also whilst im here- are A-levels an actual consideration, or is it just a filter- basically, do firms actually hire someone over someone else because that person did better in A levels?)
(edited 7 months ago)
Slaughter are the strictest firm for grades I can tell you that for free.

Just apply to them they won't reject you based on these A-levels. Most important thing is uni grades.
Original post by LawStudent456
Slaughter are the strictest firm for grades I can tell you that for free.

Just apply to them they won't reject you based on these A-levels. Most important thing is uni grades.

but whenever i look on Linkedin/any other place, everyone is AAA or above.... how is Slaughter the most strict when it doesnt have specific grade requirements itself? surely A+O with AAB is?

... so you think i am still eligible?
Original post by Burneroftheyear
but whenever i look on Linkedin/any other place, everyone is AAA or above.... how is Slaughter the most strict when it doesnt have specific grade requirements itself? surely A+O with AAB is?

... so you think i am still eligible?

I mean overall grades, not just a-level, including uni grades.

Yes they won't care.
Original post by LawStudent456
I mean overall grades, not just a-level, including uni grades.

Yes they won't care.

ohhhh i see- cool
but to clarify- based on my (A-level) grades- im still eligible to work at the MC firms?
(even A+O- will they see A*BB as equal to AAB- as they have the same UCAS points?) (also do A levels get taken into account when recruiting, or are they a filter, for example- Student A rejected because Student B got A*AB when they got AAB?)
Think of the Alevel requirements as mostly a quick filter. They don’t really have much of an impact on your application other than filtering out a sizeable chunk of candidates who don’t meet the requirements.

It is true that Slaughters is a bit more stringent with grades, as are the US firms, but you should generally meet the minimum anyway. The grade that really matters is your degree.
Original post by sublime-baths
Think of the Alevel requirements as mostly a quick filter. They don’t really have much of an impact on your application other than filtering out a sizeable chunk of candidates who don’t meet the requirements.

It is true that Slaughters is a bit more stringent with grades, as are the US firms, but you should generally meet the minimum anyway. The grade that really matters is your degree.

this is very reassuring- are the american firms stringent in the same way you said Slaughters was? (as in about degree.... do american firms have A level requirements as well?) (also- do my grades count as "good" for Slaughter?) (also- when firms say "we do not consider A levels"- do they really mean they do not look at A levels at all, or as just an implicit rule?)

"It is true that Slaughters is a bit more stringent with grades, as are the US firms,"
A levels- or degree grades (i know you said A levels- US seem to ask AAB (would they see A*BB as the same, or no? also do i qualify for "good" in the eyes of Slaughter and May?"
this is very reassuring- are the american firms stringent in the same way you said Slaughters was? (as in about degree.... do american firms have A level requirements as well?) (also- do my grades count as "good" for Slaughter?) (also- when firms say "we do not consider A levels"- do they really mean they do not look at A levels at all, or as just an implicit rule?)

A lot of questions here… taking each in turn:
1) are US firms stringent re grades? Yes, generally. They often have Alevel requirements but you can easily check the latest info on Chambers student.
2) are your grades good for S&M? I’d say they’re probably good enough, but they won’t do you any favours.
3) what does ‘we do not consider Alevels mean’? It means just that. If a firm says they don’t look at Alevels, it means you could have gotten UUU and it wouldn’t matter. I’d be very surprised if firms lied about their recruiting criteria so you can take that at face value.

Look, the bottom line is, your A*BB is probably fine. You really should be more concerned about your degree. If you can get a first, you’ll be right in there with the best of firms. I’d even encourage you to apply to AAB firms, particularly if you perform well at university.
"It is true that Slaughters is a bit more stringent with grades, as are the US firms,"
A levels- or degree grades (i know you said A levels- US seem to ask AAB (would they see A*BB as the same, or no? also do i qualify for "good" in the eyes of Slaughter and May?"

Hard to speak for US firms as they were never on my agenda when I was applying at trainee level. I can however say, as I’ve mentioned above, that if you do very well at university, I can’t see why your Alevels would hold you back even if you missed the minimum requirements. You could always email the grad teams and ask - I’d encourage you to do so for firms you’re particularly interested in and fear your app might get binned from the outset.
(edited 7 months ago)
A lot of questions here… taking each in turn:
1) are US firms stringent re grades? Yes, generally. They often have Alevel requirements but you can easily check the latest info on Chambers student.
2) are your grades good for S&M? I’d say they’re probably good enough, but they won’t do you any favours.
3) what does ‘we do not consider Alevels mean’? It means just that. If a firm says they don’t look at Alevels, it means you could have gotten UUU and it wouldn’t matter. I’d be very surprised if firms lied about their recruiting criteria so you can take that at face value.

Look, the bottom line is, your A*BB is probably fine. You really should be more concerned about your degree. If you can get a first, you’ll be right in there with the best of firms. I’d even encourage you to apply to AAB firms, particularly if you perform well at university.

brilliant- thank you, when you say my grades wont do me any favours- is that the same for everyone- as A levels seem to just be a filter and not involved in the considering process
on top of that- would you say im disadvantaged at all in landing a job, im doing a worthless degree (philosophy and theology) at durham (so bad degree at alright uni)- so i'd have to do the non law route
brilliant- thank you, when you say my grades wont do me any favours- is that the same for everyone- as A levels seem to just be a filter and not involved in the considering process
on top of that- would you say im disadvantaged at all in landing a job, im doing a worthless degree (philosophy and theology) at durham (so bad degree at alright uni)- so i'd have to do the non law route

I mean to say that you’re not at an advantage. Your grades are decent, that’s all. Again, I should stress that Alevels aren’t given as much weight.

I don’t think what you’re doing is a ‘worthless’ degree, particularly if you’re wanting to go into law. Non-law students come in all shapes and sizes, ranging anywhere from STEM backgrounds to Drama Studies. Anything and everything can be transferable. It just depends on how you sell it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending