The Student Room Group

About changing the course inside the university

Hi, I am currently studying a 1st-year in aerospace eng, and recently when I start taking the subjects that related to physics ( Mechanics, Thermodynamics etc..) I realised that I really like physics, so I decided to contact with the university itself and ask them if I can transfer to another course and repeat the first year and they asked me about my grades AAB ( and the required grades are A*AA ) then they told me we will check that and back to you with a final decision.

Do you think there is a chance that they can accept me?

Also I am an international student.
Original post by Zeroldx
Hi, I am currently studying a 1st-year in aerospace eng, and recently when I start taking the subjects that related to physics ( Mechanics, Thermodynamics etc..) I realised that I really like physics, so I decided to contact with the university itself and ask them if I can transfer to another course and repeat the first year and they asked me about my grades AAB ( and the required grades are A*AA ) then they told me we will check that and back to you with a final decision.

Do you think there is a chance that they can accept me?

Also I am an international student.

There is a chance, yes. What were the grade requirements for Aerospace Engineering when you got in with AAB?
Reply 2
The requirements were AAB, but in the another course the requirements are A*AA.
Reply 3
Original post by Zeroldx
I mean for Aerospace the requirements are AAB, but in the Physics course that I am looking for, the requirements are A*AA
Original post by Zeroldx

Original post by Zeroldx
I mean for Aerospace the requirements are AAB, but in the Physics course that I am looking for, the requirements are A*AA

Ah, that's unfortunate. I'd hoped you were going to say that the Aerospace Engineering were also A*AA, but they accepted you at AAB anyway - as that would indicate that you're at a university which tends to be a little flexible with grades. As it is, you're trying to transfer to a course where you're two grades below to entry requirements, with no indication that the university is flexible when it comes to grades. My guess (and that's what it is, a guess) is that they won't allow you to transfer, as it would be unfair to students who applied directly for Physics with AAB and were turned down.

I don't suppose you're excelling during your first year of Aerospace Engineering, and regularly getting scores of 70% or above? If you are, then there's a chance that this might persuade them. But even then, it might not. You'll just have wait and see what they say, unfortunately.

(There are plenty more physics-based modules to come in years two and three on the Aerospace Engineering course, if that's where you end-up staying, so you'll still get plenty of exposure to physics there.)
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Ah, that's unfortunate. I'd hoped you were going to say that the Aerospace Engineering were also A*AA, but they accepted you at AAB anyway - as that would indicate that you're at a university which tends to be a little flexible with grades. As it is, you're trying to transfer to a course where you're two grades below to entry requirements, with no indication that the university is flexible when it comes to grades. My guess (and that's what it is, a guess) is that they won't allow you to transfer, as it would be unfair to students who applied directly for Physics with AAB and were turned down.
I don't suppose you're excelling during your first year of Aerospace Engineering, and regularly getting scores of 70% or above? If you are, then there's a chance that this might persuade them. But even then, it might not. You'll just have wait and see what they say, unfortunately.
(There are plenty more physics-based modules to come in years two and three on the Aerospace Engineering course, if that's where you end-up staying, so you'll still get plenty of exposure to physics there.)
That's bad and I also thought that same way, but I said to myself at least give it a try.

In the worst scenario I might apply through UCAS to another University that accept me
Original post by Zeroldx
That's bad and I also thought that same way, but I said to myself at least give it a try.

In the worst scenario I might apply through UCAS to another University that accept me

It does no harm to ask. Is Physics that much of a "draw" for you that you'd effectively "write-off" this year and start again in year 1 somewhere else?
Reply 7
The short answer is yes. Let's just say I realised how great physics is
Original post by Zeroldx
The short answer is yes. Let's just say I realised how great physics is

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest