The Student Room Group

Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

No, as part of work experience for the course I'm applying for I have worked on several farms and spent a day in an abattoir. Before the latter I was always a little concerned about animal welfare in places like that but afterwards I would happily eat meat.
I'd consider it but I wouldn't really know how to gain more info about it other than the internet obvs so its kind of peak
Vegan master race. In all seriousness though any non vegans please watch https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opj0_3L1l88
Original post by TheTruthTeller
I mean i'd consider it in the future when i have built adequate muscle mass that i simply want to maintain and muslce building with meat is more efficient

-barny du plessis-
5859907+_68c52d1c5febe6a72aed081f6deec70f.jpg
Original post by 303Pharma
Yes it makes you mental. Judgemental. Sanctimonious. Preachy. Smug. holy-than-though. Self-satisfied.
Original post by Marthaships
5859907+_68c52d1c5febe6a72aed081f6deec70f.jpg
Yeah I went there
No. I'm nowhere near adventurous enough with food for it to even be an option. If I cut meat out of my diet I'd have very little left.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
No. I'm nowhere near adventurous enough with food for it to even be an option. If I cut meat out of my diet I'd have very little left.
Om nom nom nom. do it
It basically came down to cheese on toast, baked beans and salad. Really poorly nutritional regime. But back then it was hard to find good guidance.

But I did notice a very peculiar change in my mental state, conciousness. I was far more relaxed and at ease, and seemed to be way more empathic and concern about social and environmental issues. Whether this was due to actual changes in brain chemistry, or just the cultural norms surrounding vegetarianism at the time I couldn't say. But it was a real phenomenon to me.

Tbh that's bog standard meal for everybody these days and there's nothing wrong with that. You surely didn't live off that three times a day though?
I guess the symptoms that you described in your initial post could also have occurred because you weren't used to a sans-meat diet.
Why did you decide to become a vegetarian back then btw?
Reply 109
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1875/world-cuisine/asian/indian/main-dishes/vegetarian/

Indian vegetarian cuisine is among the best in the world. Try it. You'll surprise yourselves. Its not that hard to cook and the recipies have been passed down hundreds of years.

This video, includes gordon ramsay and explores a small pocket of the vegetarian food thats found in india.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfjYBYOJyY
Perhaps. I usually eat quorn foods anyways because they're lower in fat. I'd need to find a substitute for ham and roast chicken on sundays but other than that, I'd be fine as a vegetarian!
I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, and a non smoker for 5, I actually think about smoking more than eating meat. And if i do ever eat meat, it literally physically makes me sick now. Good luck!
I would, and have considered it before since I don't like a lot of meat product anyway. However, after thinking it through I came to realise that I don't like enough food items to be able to sustain a healthy diet without meat. Also there are a few things I love:

Pigs in Blankets
McDonalds breafasts/Spoons Breakfast
Other things I can't remember right now

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if people are veggies, vegans or omnivores but I could not survive.
Original post by john2054
I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, and a non smoker for 5, I actually think about smoking more than eating meat. And if i do ever eat meat, it literally physically makes me sick now. Good luck!

Did you never ever crave meat? When I was doing it I was craving meat pretty much 24/7 and always felt hungry. How did you do it?
[QUOTE=RVNmax;67905754.
Why did you decide to become a vegetarian back then btw?

There was the well known health benefits. But mainly, I saw a presentation at college on vivisection and the farming industry. I was so horrified I couldn't eat meat again for years.
Vegetarian, yes. Vegan, no. In the present day at least.
Original post by Spratty
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm Indian and I've hardly ever had issues from being vegetarian. Our food is high in many spices that aid your body like tumeric. Western vegetarianism is tasteless and crap for your body.

Yessssss! Alooo paranthas, Samosas, Dahi bhalla, tikki, naan, kadhai paneer, idli and with so many endless choices, we just dont need to touch meat ever. I've been vegan all my life ( religious reasons aside) also coz i never had to eat meat related stuff, considering indian vegan food is tastier than Meat stuff. Yes western vegetarianism is totally crap, likee ewww lack of taste, they just dont know how to make tasty vegan food like us.

Also i have a question that is totally unrelated to this, if you dont mind answering , that i have wanted to ask a British Indian,
Is the system of Joint families followed there aswell by Indians just like it is here or do kids move out? And is this system frowned upon by others? Just curious becuase western ideas of individualism are alien to me and trying to understand how stuff works there, if you cant answer then its ok ty anyways brother
Reply 117
I was arguing of pro-meat propagandising. Yet there's been so much veggie proselytising it's unreal. Look I understand most science backs that a meat free diet is more healthy. I understand the ethical concerns (although still considering anthropomorphising dumb beasts breed to be eaten)

I understand the moral sanctimonious of it. It's still middle class bull sh!t. Yes I went class war, because it's true.Working men eat a bacon butty, or full English breakfast every day. Not lava beans and quinoa like trendy posh c!unts..

Devil's advocate? :holmes:
Original post by RobML
Devil's advocate? :holmes:
trolling for shits and giggles
Vegetarians unite!!!

Quick Reply

Latest