The Student Room Group

Is my school being unfair?

In Year 12 I failed my AS Maths even though in class I was getting C-B Grades but I was ill during that exam season as well. My teachers aren't letting me do A2 Maths so I planned to sit it externally and self teach myself with the addition of having a tutor as well. My other classes are fine in terms of predicted grades in my having a A in Business and a B in Pyshcology which I'm happy with.

The only problem is that my teacher wants me sit another year at school for just A2 Maths and wants me to sit in AS Lessons which I really don't want to do as I know I can self teach myself A2 Maths especially with my tutor and also I already understand AS and know the exams will go better next time round but because my Head of 6th Form wants me to stay another year she is saying that she'll only give me a prediction of a E grade which I find really unfair considering last year it was a B/A meaning that they're being really unfair. I know it is a risk to my school for me to sit it externally as it still affects them but they can't do this can they?
Original post by AlphaX5
In Year 12 I failed my AS Maths
My Teacher...wants me to sit in AS Lessons which I really don't want to do as I know I can self teach myself A2 Maths

Can you see the problem there...?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check

Yes I can but I've tried to show them countless times that I'm capable of doing it and even if they don't sit me in the lesson then that's fine as well but they know I performed well in the class and that the exam didn't go well for me as well.
Original post by AlphaX5
In Year 12 I failed my AS Maths even though in class I was getting C-B Grades but I was ill during that exam season as well. My teachers aren't letting me do A2 Maths so I planned to sit it externally and self teach myself with the addition of having a tutor as well. My other classes are fine in terms of predicted grades in my having a A in Business and a B in Pyshcology which I'm happy with.

The only problem is that my teacher wants me sit another year at school for just A2 Maths and wants me to sit in AS Lessons which I really don't want to do as I know I can self teach myself A2 Maths especially with my tutor and also I already understand AS and know the exams will go better next time round but because my Head of 6th Form wants me to stay another year she is saying that she'll only give me a prediction of a E grade which I find really unfair considering last year it was a B/A meaning that they're being really unfair. I know it is a risk to my school for me to sit it externally as it still affects them but they can't do this can they?

It's hardly unfair. You screwed up the AS exams the first time round and so they would doubt whether or not you're capable of doing the A2 modules.Also, how ill do you have to be to screw up that badly?
Original post by AlphaX5
Yes I can but I've tried to show them countless times that I'm capable of doing it and even if they don't sit me in the lesson then that's fine as well but they know I performed well in the class and that the exam didn't go well for me as well.

I appreciate what you're saying but you must see that if you've failed AS then there's a significant chance you'll fail A2 and they want to do as much as possible to mitigate this risk.
Reply 5
For Business I got a A and Pyshcology I got a C in my AS Grades and the match exam just weren't my day really and then I think I worked myself to exhaustion as well the night before and Yes I do understand that you don't get funding for the 3rd Year but I had hoped to get into Uni this year not the year after which is the same time as my sister as well and well I only had one teacher for maths last year and he left now as well.
Reply 6
I appreciate what you're saying but you must see that if you've failed AS then there's a significant chance you'll fail A2 and they want to do as much as possible to mitigate this risk.

Yeah and I perfectly get that but I know ill out the whole in to stop this from happening again is the thing and I know I can do well but if she is going to give me a low prediction then there is no point in me starting A2 until next year.
Reply 7
Original post by miless090
It's hardly unfair. You screwed up the AS exams the first time round and so they would doubt whether or not you're capable of doing the A2 modules.Also, how ill do you have to be to screw up that badly?

Well the exams just weren't really my day and after seeing the previous one I worked even harder and worked myself to exhaustion basically was the problem.

Seems you gave them a @Reality Check!
Reply 9
They're being completely fair. You failed the AS, and you're refusing to attend lessons to do better next time. Since you failed the AS it's reasonable to assume you're not going to do brilliantly in the full A Level.

If you had a serious illness then you would have got special consideration from the exam board. If you weren't that ill it wouldn't have affected you that badly.
If you fail the AS, you aren't going to pass the A2.
If you were seriously ill then your school would have applied for special consideration. They're trying to support you by offering extra classes but if you're not willing to take them then its on you unfortunately.
That might sound harsh, but the school sound fair to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending