The Student Room Group

Need advice on work experience

So I just started my A levels and so far it's not too bad. I've been told I will have to apply next year if I want to study Medicine, so I have to get my work experience and voluntary work completed/started.

So far I have only had 2 weeks in a primary school (TA), and three saturdays at a pharmacy, and I do the first aid ambulance course. I stopped the pharmacy one because I was only able to handle organise boxes at the back of the room-no patient contact. However I did take notes and asked many questions etc. I will be tutoring on wednesdays and a hopefully a coach on saturdays. However I have also been given an opportunity to volunteer at a hospital and I was told a GP offers work experience (administrative). The point is I don't want to bombard myself with so much volunteering/work experience to the point I lose focus on my A levels. I was told that to be committed to something I have to do it for at least 6 months. So should I continue like this? What do you think? I feel like these opportunities will be missed and I haven't found clinical placements yet.
Hi,

Most of the students that I helped attain entry into medicine had done 2-4 different types of work experience, but the only ones I recall who had done a prolonged period (like the 6 months you quote) were those who had done this during a gap year (including a year taken to resit A levels). In my experience, med school admissions teams look at the global picture rather than work experience or any other aspect of the applicant's credentials/suitability.

So a good overall record of GCSE results, work experience, BMT/UKCAT scores, personality/dedication/passion for subjects taken, PS, AS results when these were to hand, interview technique/performance - ALL taken together permit a decision to be made whether to place an offer.

In my view, you should try to balance out these various features, and ensure, as far as possible, that one or the other do not encroach upon the rest.

Hope this is useful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by macpatelgh
Hi,

Most of the students that I helped attain entry into medicine had done 2-4 different types of work experience, but the only ones I recall who had done a prolonged period (like the 6 months you quote) were those who had done this during a gap year (including a year taken to resit A levels). In my experience, med school admissions teams look at the global picture rather than work experience or any other aspect of the applicant's credentials/suitability.

So a good overall record of GCSE results, work experience, BMT/UKCAT scores, personality/dedication/passion for subjects taken, PS, AS results when these were to hand, interview technique/performance - ALL taken together permit a decision to be made whether to place an offer.

In my view, you should try to balance out these various features, and ensure, as far as possible, that one or the other do not encroach upon the rest.

Hope this is useful.

is around 2 - 3 months of a given work experience enough? such as working in a care home with elderly maybe once a week for 2-3 months? also with hospital work experience i think they only allow a wee/5 days, is this good enough experience?
Hi,

Hope this is useful.

Hmm okay thank you.
I think rather than worrying too much about the length of the work experience in isolation, I would place greater emphasis on the type of experience, what you learnt from it, how it relates to your reasons for applying for medicine and how your personality/knowledge/viewpoints might have been modified by that work, and to present it very well in your PS when you apply next year. Also, my view is that a continuous 2 or 3 week session in a hospital, GP practice or a nursing home provides no less useful exposure to clinical medicine and surgery, and to the running of the NHS, than a prolonged once a week session.

Do whatever fits in with your schedule/your life/what is within travelling distance, etc.; there are no fixed rules. Attitude and passion count most.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think rather than worrying too much about the length of the work experience in isolation, I would place greater emphasis on the type of experience, what you learnt from it, how it relates to your reasons for applying for medicine and how your personality/knowledge/viewpoints might have been modified by that work, and to present it very well in your PS when you apply next year. Also, my view is that a continuous 2 or 3 week session in a hospital, GP practice or a nursing home provides no less useful exposure to clinical medicine and surgery, and to the running of the NHS, than a prolonged once a week session.

Do whatever fits in with your schedule/your life/what is within travelling distance, etc.; there are no fixed rules. Attitude and passion count most.

thank you!
Hi,

If you are looking to get relevant work experience that will really help to make your personal statement and interview stand out from the crowd, we can help!

We strive to strengthen our students as individuals, applicants and future health providers. Our standardised programmes abroad for aspiring doctors, dentists and PAs centre of structured, observational placements under the guidance of health professionals. If you have ever wondered what a "day in the life" is really like, this is your perfect chance to find out!

Spaces are extremely limited - visit uk.gapmedics.com to register your space before 31 October or email [email protected] to find out more!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending