The Student Room Group

Software engineering apprenticeship help

Hii~ I'm a yr 13 student studying chemistry, biology and maths applying for Iv 6 (degree) software engineering apprenticeships. I would love some advice or experiences, particularly to do with the online assessments/interviews/assessments centres. I’m also worried that I haven’t mastered a programming language completely as software engineering was not my original plan (as seen from my subjects)….
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by JB_.g
Hii~ I'm a yr 13 student studying chemistry, biology and maths applying for Iv 6 (degree) software engineering apprenticeships. I would love some advice or experiences, particularly to do with the online assessments/interviews/assessments centres. I’m also worried that I haven’t mastered a programming language completely as software engineering was not my original plan (as seen from my subjects)….

Hi there,

Firstly, don't worry that you haven't mastered a programming language. Not a problem at all. I didn't know a coding language and I still got a software engineering offer. They know that a lot of people haven't been able to do computing GCSE/A Level so they couldn't restrict it to people who know languages. What's more important is having work experience and showing a willingness to learn (because then they'll know you're able to pick up coding languages quickly once you start the job). So I'd definitely recommend getting some software engineering/DTS related work experience (I can send you the link to a video which will show you some work experience opportunities available now - just let me know if you want) and online courses.

Now in terms of interviews and assessment centres, you need to make sure you show off all the skills from the job description. If the skills include leadership skills, you need to make sure you show your leadership skills in the group task. If the skills include listening and being collaborative, you need to make sure you listen to everyone's viewpoints. Also, best way of preparing for the interview is thinking answers to common questions such as tell me a time you've worked in a team/tell me a time you've been a leader/tell me a time you've worked hard on something/tell me a time you've had to have a difficult conversation/tell me a time you've innovated to solve a problem.

In short, you don't need to know a programming language. The interview isn't a knowledge based one where they ask you about software engineering. It's a skill based one so you need to be able to show off all your skills including teamwork, leadership, communication and willingness to learn.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions or if you want the link to get some software engineering/DTS work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by apprentinsideryt
Hi there,

Firstly, don't worry that you haven't mastered a programming language. Not a problem at all. I didn't know a coding language and I still got a software engineering offer. They know that a lot of people haven't been able to do computing GCSE/A Level so they couldn't restrict it to people who know languages. What's more important is having work experience and showing a willingness to learn (because then they'll know you're able to pick up coding languages quickly once you start the job). So I'd definitely recommend getting some software engineering/DTS related work experience (I can send you the link to a video which will show you some work experience opportunities available now - just let me know if you want) and online courses.

Now in terms of interviews and assessment centres, you need to make sure you show off all the skills from the job description. If the skills include leadership skills, you need to make sure you show your leadership skills in the group task. If the skills include listening and being collaborative, you need to make sure you listen to everyone's viewpoints. Also, best way of preparing for the interview is thinking answers to common questions such as tell me a time you've worked in a team/tell me a time you've been a leader/tell me a time you've worked hard on something/tell me a time you've had to have a difficult conversation/tell me a time you've innovated to solve a problem.

In short, you don't need to know a programming language. The interview isn't a knowledge based one where they ask you about software engineering. It's a skill based one so you need to be able to show off all your skills including teamwork, leadership, communication and willingness to learn.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions or if you want the link to get some software engineering/DTS work experience.

Thank you so much! That was very useful advice. So far I have 3 massive open online classes i’ve done ,on coding, machine learning and web security, and currently doing courses on python and web development (on sololearn). I was on a summer school programme for design engineering and the only work experience I have is in Boots. I’m worried I may not have enough time for the work experience (as I’ll starting apply for some apprenticeships during this month which I imagine will continue to until jan and I’m juggling everything with all the revision I have) but i would like them please :smile:) Again, i’m really appreciating all this so much <3
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by JB_.g
Thank you so much! That was very useful advice. So far I have 3 massive open online classes i’ve done ,on coding, machine learning and web security, and currently doing courses on python and web development (on sololearn). I was on a summer school programme for design engineering and the only work experience I have is in Boots. I’m worried I may not have enough time for the work experience (as I’ll starting apply for some apprenticeships during this month which I imagine will continue to until jan and I’m juggling everything with all the revision I have) but i would like them please :smile:) Again, i’m really appreciating all this so much <3

Sounds like you're doing lots of work with all those courses - well done. Those will look really good on your CV and cover letter. And I can imagine your quite constrained for time at the moment. No worries, the work experience you do doesn't have to be a long, 2 week placement - just one day will be enough to give you the company experience and examples for your interview questions.

Here's the video with a bunch of work experience opportunities available now - https://youtu.be/D8HYZ8YOAhI.

Just choosing one of these would be enough I think for your application, however of course you wouldn't go wrong by doing more than that. Hope all goes well for you with your applications in the coming months. Again, let me know if you have any questions.
Hi there,

hello there is it fine if you could send me these links to the work experience software engineering too
Original post by faraa209.211
hello there is it fine if you could send me these links to the work experience software engineering too

Of course, no worries. Here you go - https://youtu.be/D8HYZ8YOAhI.
Reply 6
Sounds like you're doing lots of work with all those courses - well done. Those will look really good on your CV and cover letter. And I can imagine your quite constrained for time at the moment. No worries, the work experience you do doesn't have to be a long, 2 week placement - just one day will be enough to give you the company experience and examples for your interview questions.

Here's the video with a bunch of work experience opportunities available now - https://youtu.be/D8HYZ8YOAhI.

Just choosing one of these would be enough I think for your application, however of course you wouldn't go wrong by doing more than that. Hope all goes well for you with your applications in the coming months. Again, let me know if you have any questions.

I really couldn’t thank you enough with the help you’ve given me!! Thank you very much :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending