The Student Room Group

how do i help my school raise money for prom?

helloo!
so basically my school being broke ass people have decided to not fund our prom but make us raise the money ourselves which is like thousands of pounds by the way, so i would appreciate it if anyone had any ideas on how my school could raise money. I've already thought of the basic ideas btw like bake sales, car wash etc..
thankss!

just an update: my school is preparing a winter concert to fund our prom and the tickets will be only £10 so thats some money there however any other ideas or thoughts would be very helpful, thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeedLotsOfHelp
helloo!
so basically my school being broke ass people have decided to not fund our prom but make us raise the money ourselves which is like thousands of pounds by the way, so i would appreciate it if anyone had any ideas on how my school could raise money. I've already thought of the basic ideas btw like bake sales, car wash etc..
thankss!

Talk to local businesses about sponsorship - especially those businesses that might get business from the prom (clothes hire, car hire, photography etc).
Sell tickets. My secondary school prom tickets were £35 each.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Take capital, spread bet on the financial markets with high leverage, make a lot of money....

or lose it all.
i was going to say bake sales but you've already thought of that, hmm raffles, sponsored events - what about a talent show or something like that - our school did a takeoff of i'm a celebrity where the staff and students ate some disgusting stuff for charity, to watch it in the main hall you had to pay at least 50p but pretty much the whole school came to see it so they made A LOT of cash, i dont know how these work but set up at online fundraising/ maybe gofundme i've heard of but make it for your year groups prom and then advertise the link on facebook so people in your year can donate? other ideas: sponsored school disco, sponsored silence, man VS food - pay entry to watch
could you get a prom committee together which could find a good / cheaper venue? if the school is making you pay £££ for it then you could form another prom committee with just you and your friends and involve the people you've associated with and invite people you know and find somewhere else which hopefully doens't make you completely broke.
have a good think about ideas because charity events are coming up like children in need so people will already be fundraising for that as well as non uniform days and christmas jumper day nearer christmas as well
Original post by PQ
Talk to local businesses about sponsorship - especially those businesses that might get business from the prom (clothes hire, car hire, photography etc).

thanks thats a really good idea!
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Sell tickets. My secondary school prom tickets were £35 each.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no one in my school is ever gonna pay that much, and our school makes them free anyways but thank you
Original post by rambapa
Take capital, spread bet on the financial markets with high leverage, make a lot of money....

or lose it all.

i can do that at 15 years old? but if you mean the school then they wouldn't because us students can only raise the money.
Original post by bizzy_penguin
i was going to say bake sales but you've already thought of that, hmm raffles, sponsored events - what about a talent show or something like that - our school did a takeoff of i'm a celebrity where the staff and students ate some disgusting stuff for charity, to watch it in the main hall you had to pay at least 50p but pretty much the whole school came to see it so they made A LOT of cash, i dont know how these work but set up at online fundraising/ maybe gofundme i've heard of but make it for your year groups prom and then advertise the link on facebook so people in your year can donate? other ideas: sponsored school disco, sponsored silence, man VS food - pay entry to watch
could you get a prom committee together which could find a good / cheaper venue? if the school is making you pay £££ for it then you could form another prom committee with just you and your friends and involve the people you've associated with and invite people you know and find somewhere else which hopefully doens't make you completely broke.
have a good think about ideas because charity events are coming up like children in need so people will already be fundraising for that as well as non uniform days and christmas jumper day nearer christmas as well

yh actually those are really good ideas and our committee have talked about a concert/talent show for winter. i think the non-uniform days and raffles is rlly good swell, thank you!
*Most schools just have tickets? *Why are you having to raise money? *Will it then be free for you all? *How much have you got to raise and by when?*
We do things like organise sixth form parties, non uniform days (everyone pays £1) etc with funds going towards our prom. On top of that we pay £30 each for our tickets. Money raised from fundraising goes towards extras like a photo booth, DJ at prom.
a jumble sale or a gold trader with a shred of charity in their heart (i have one but not of this sort of thing)
the last one needs some explanation though so you find a gold trader maybe a jeweller or antique dealer maybe a gold trader and invite parents and people to an event they sell their gold and get paid and 10% comes back to your funding
so at a £400 average sale, you pocket £40 you see
(edited 7 years ago)
my school raised money by having a tuck shop everyday i think, and by selling tickets for the prom at quite a high price

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
my school raised money by having a tuck shop everyday i think, and by selling tickets for the prom at quite a high price

Posted from TSR Mobile

whats a tuck shop? and my school is also going to have our tickets from £15-£30 un
Original post by jamesthehustler
a jumble sale or a gold trader with a shred of charity in their heart (i have one but not of this sort of thing)
the last one needs some explanation though so you find a gold trader maybe a jeweller or antique dealer maybe a gold trader and invite parents and people to an event they sell their gold and get paid and 10% comes back to your funding
so at a £400 average sale, you pocket £40 you see

oh thats really cool, however my school is not going to accept the idea of selling gold or jewellery as theft is a very common crime in our school as well as our environment however a jumble sale sounds like a good idea.. thank you!
Original post by cassiejoevans
We do things like organise sixth form parties, non uniform days (everyone pays £1) etc with funds going towards our prom. On top of that we pay £30 each for our tickets. Money raised from fundraising goes towards extras like a photo booth, DJ at prom.

yeah my school has agreed to do non school uniform days however the money we raise is all we will have to fund our prom as we are the only year ever to have wanted it outside the school so our headteacher made us raise the money ourselves as it is over their budget, we are aiming at raising £3,000 to £4,000
Original post by Simonthegreat
*Most schools just have tickets? *Why are you having to raise money? *Will it then be free for you all? *How much have you got to raise and by when?*

so basically my year (year 11) wants to have our prom outside of school due to the fact that our school gym is not the biggest size however this means that we have to raise our own money which is around £3,000 to £4,000 as the budget is too high for the school. we have until around march to raise money as after that we have to focus on our gcse's. our school tickets will not be free as they will be around £15-£30 but it still will not cover all of the costs, but the head teacher said we can go for free if we just stick to having a prom in the school.
Original post by OceanSea
I don't get why your school doesn't make give prices to the tickets, that's literally the most obvious way? I don't really have any wisdom to offer but good luck with raising the money!

haha yh the tickets are the most obvious way to make money and we are selling them for £15-£30 but we need to raise £3,000-£4,000 so it will not cover all the costs and thanks for the luck because I'm gonna need it
How many students in the year approx?
Original post by NeedLotsOfHelp
oh thats really cool, however my school is not going to accept the idea of selling gold or jewellery as theft is a very common crime in our school as well as our environment however a jumble sale sounds like a good idea.. thank you!

the school wouldn't sell it the owner sells to the trader and the school get a cut of the profit but at least i can say i provided something useful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending