The Student Room Group

A Level Maths Graphic Calculators

Hey there. just wondering what calculator is best recommended for A Level maths with mechanics (M1 and M2). I would also like to know when I can actually use these calculators (what exams). Thanks
Reply 1
As far as I'm aware, the best calculator you're able to use for any maths module is the Casio fx-991ES Plus. No graphic calculators allowed, and no calculators that are capable of symbolic differentiation or integration. I have taken M1 and I know this to be the case for that module, however I'm not 100% certain for M2, although I would be very surprised if they did allow them.
Original post by AlexOD
As far as I'm aware, the best calculator you're able to use for any maths module is the Casio fx-991ES Plus. No graphic calculators allowed, and no calculators that are capable of symbolic differentiation or integration. I have taken M1 and I know this to be the case for that module, however I'm not 100% certain for M2, although I would be very surprised if they did allow them.

There is also the Casio fx-991EX which may be better
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by AlexOD

Are you sure you are not allowed a graphics calculator? when i go on the AQA past C2 paper it says you may use a graphics calculator. Or have the rules changed?
Original post by AlexOD
No graphic calculators allowed

Da flip, are you certain on that?
Reply 5
Original post by Ze Witcher
Da flip, are you certain on that?

Yeah take a look

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC2-P-QP-JUN15.PDF

What are you going to be doing in the future? Will you need a graphic calculator?

If you wouldn't then I'd say get the Casio fx-991EX (I'd recommend this over the 991ES)
Reply 7
Graphical Calculators are allowed.

@notnek

I've tagged an exams officer any questions regarding this should be directed at her.

As for you, @AlexOD don't comment on things you're not 100% sure about as you're putting people at an unfair disadvantage.
Reply 8
Original post by TH3-FL45H
What are you going to be doing in the future? Will you need a graphic calculator?

If you wouldn't then I'd say get the Casio fx-991EX (I'd recommend this over the 991ES)

Im an electrical engineering apprentice doing a level maths from home in my spare time.
I use a casio fx-CG 20
Reply 10
You won't really use a graphical calculator at all for M1 and M2 but if you're planning on doing core modules or the further pure modules then they're great for checking your integration/differentiation and most importantly drawing graphs.

I have a TI-84 Plus and it does everything I need. If you're planning on getting one I'd look at second hand since they're expensive new - got mine for about £50 on ebay I think.
Reply 11
Original post by Naruke
Graphical Calculators are allowed.

@notnek

I've tagged an exams officer any questions regarding this should be directed at her.

As for you, @AlexOD don't comment on things you're not 100% sure about as you're putting people at an unfair disadvantage.

Firstly, I'm male :smile: And I'm not currently an Exams Officer but I am aware of the current calculator regulations.

Regarding graphics calculators, some are allowed and some are not.

I've attached a guide which gives a general idea of the calculators allowed for GCSE/A Level.

Quick Reply

Latest