The Student Room Group

Do you type up your notes?

Currently debating whether to continue typing up my notes on Death of a Salesman in addition to my class notes which are currently just annotations on each page. I think it would be useful when writing an essay and revising but it is very time consuming and it's a lot to write down... Thoughts?
I always type up my notes so they're neat and in one place, but I guess it comes down to the individual... how you learn best.
Currently on page 13 of my typed D.o.S notes and still going strong... I just don't want to do it all and then not use them, or even worse stop and then realise they would've been useful. Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
No :smile:
I do. But I type fast as hell so it doesn't take long really.
Handwrite it! You will remember better if you write things down with pen and paper, instead of just pressing letters on a keyboard. I know handwriting stuff down requires a bit more effort, but it is more effective when it comes to absorbing information. :smile:
Intrinsically, Microsoft OneNote is a software I have used previously (excellent for digital note-taking); I believe that a free app version has also been created since - which may or may not be useful for you:

https://www.onenote.com/

I have not utilised the app, however - if the actual OneNote software is anything to go by, I would assume that the app would be useful too. :h: Therefore, the app would be an excellent means of note-taking on a tablet/laptop and notes can be synchronised between laptops/computers/portable devices.
Reply 7
Personally wouldn't, I believe you understand what you're writing more if you actually write it as opposed to typing it, more thought goes into making the notes then. I find it very easy to remember something if I've written it down but struggle if its typed up.
Original post by PerplexingGeode
Intrinsically, Microsoft OneNote is a software I have used previously (excellent for digital note-taking); I believe that a free app version has also been created since - which may or may not be useful for you:

https://www.onenote.com/

I have not utilised the app, however - if the actual OneNote software is anything to go by, I would assume that the app would be useful too. :h: Therefore, the app would be an excellent means of note-taking on a tablet/laptop and notes can be synchronised between laptops/computers/portable devices.

OneNote is extremely useful for making typed up notes, and I know that it is included with Microsoft Office (I got OneNote 2010 with Office 2010). I didn't use OneNote for my university studies though; I used Sonocent Audio Notetaker, which is very good as it allowed me to import the recordings that I made with my digital voice recorder, along with any Powerpoint Presentation slides that were used, to create a comprehensive set of notes in audio and visual format (plus you could write your own notes too). Very useful.
However, in the end, I mostly hand-wrote my notes and left it at that, occasionally using my voice recorder as well. If I'd have been more organized, I'd have definitely used Audio Notetaker for all of my notes.
Original post by spotify95
OneNote is extremely useful for making typed up notes, and I know that it is included with Microsoft Office (I got OneNote 2010 with Office 2010). I didn't use OneNote for my university studies though; I used Sonocent Audio Notetaker, which is very good as it allowed me to import the recordings that I made with my digital voice recorder, along with any Powerpoint Presentation slides that were used, to create a comprehensive set of notes in audio and visual format (plus you could write your own notes too). Very useful.
However, in the end, I mostly hand-wrote my notes and left it at that, occasionally using my voice recorder as well. If I'd have been more organized, I'd have definitely used Audio Notetaker for all of my notes.

:moon:

I concur with everything you have stated.

PRSOM. :h:
it may be long but worth it sometimes i write fast which leads to scruffy handwriting then i struggle to read my notes 😅😅 but im only making notes on what i potentially need for uni so basically all of my business notes.
Sometimes.
Mostly I make quizlets and then I use them to make revision guides a few months before the exam on publisher :smile:
Don't you find this insulting? :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
No, I don't. The only subject I really 'have' to make notes in is history. At first, I typed my notes up, but I discovered that reading my own handwriting and physically drawing arrows to stuff helps me to connect ideas and remember the information...
Traitor...

Quick Reply

Latest