The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by solC
If p(1)=0 then (x-1) is a factor of p(x) from the remainder theorem, so we can rewrite p(x) as q(x)(x-1) for some polynomial q(x).
In this case, dividing p(x) by (x-1) gives a remainder of 2, so we need to subtract two in order to get a remainder of 0, therefore p(x)=(x-1)q(x)-2.

I'm not 100% sure on this though...

Can't be true. Plugging x=1 into that would leave you with -2 so p(1)=2 is not satisfied.
Original post by solC
If p(1)=0 then (x-1) is a factor of p(x) from the remainder theorem, so we can rewrite p(x) as q(x)(x-1) for some polynomial q(x).
In this case, dividing p(x) by (x-1) gives a remainder of 2, so we need to subtract two in order to get a remainder of 0, therefore p(x)=(x-1)q(x)-2.

I'm not 100% sure on this though...

Original post by RDKGames
Well firstly we can eliminate options which prevent p(1)=2 and then investigate the remaining ones, you can quickly see that all of them depend on various conditions satisfied by q(1) apart from one which will always be true, so I'd go for that one.

Thanks!
Reply 1002
Can't be true. Plugging x=1 into that would leave you with -2 so p(1)=2 is not satisfied.

Ah yeah, didn't notice that:colondollar:. so you would have to add on 2 rather than subtract?
Original post by solC
Ah yeah, didn't notice that:colondollar:. so you would have to add on 2 rather than subtract?

Well going off your attempt it wouldn't make sense because you said "p(1)=0" which is also false so you cannot use the remainder theorem. :smile:
Reply 1004
Well going off your attempt it wouldn't make sense because you said "p(1)=0" which is also false so you cannot use the remainder theorem. :smile:

Oh right I see what you mean, thanks:smile:

@jamestg Ignore what I said!
Erm duno wtf is goingn on above.
Consider p(x)-2=r(x)
x=1 is solution to r(x) so r(x)=(x-1)q(x)
so p(x)=(x-1)q(x)+2

Posted from TSR Mobile
2nd order DE.png

How do you do part (c) ? The particular solution is x=(12+4t3)e3t+118sin3t x = (\frac{1}{2} + \frac{4t}{3})e^{-3t} + \frac{1}{18}sin3t
(edited 7 years ago)
An employer finds that if he increase weekly wages of each worker by £30 and employs one worker less,he reduces his weekly wage bill from £8160 to £7810, taking the weekly wage of each worker as x ,find out the weekly wage of each worker

how do I do this?
I can't find a final answer to this either
Original post by NotNotBatman
2nd order DE.png

How do you do part (c) ? The particular solution is x=(12+4t3)e3t+118sin3t x = (\frac{1}{2} + \frac{4t}{3})e^{-3t} + \frac{1}{18}sin3t

when t > 30, x is approximately sin 3t / 18 since your exponential terms gets negligibly tiny.
Original post by physicsmaths
Erm duno wtf is goingn on above.
Consider p(x)-2=r(x)
x=1 is solution to r(x) so r(x)=(x-1)q(x)
so p(x)=(x-1)q(x)+2

Posted from TSR Mobile

init plebs everywhere
Reply 1010
Original post by Zacken
init plebs everywhere

Savage!
Reply 1011
So basically the question says to find the stationary points of a curve which I've found. It then says justify which is a max and which is a min. Surely that is obvious which one is higher from the y coordinates I just worked out?
Original post by medhelp
An employer finds that if he increase weekly wages of each worker by £30 and employs one worker less,he reduces his weekly wage bill from £8160 to £7810, taking the weekly wage of each worker as x ,find out the weekly wage of each worker

how do I do this?

You have two unknowns, the number of employees (n) and their weekly wage (x). You can form two equations for the before and after wage bills. You can then solve for x.

The first equation would be nx = 8160. The rest is left as an exercise for the reader :smile:

If only the question writer knew the difference between less and fewer ..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
You have two unknowns, the number of employees (n) and their weekly wage (x). You can form two equations for the before and after wage bills. You can then solve for x.

The first equation would be nx = 8160. The rest is left as an exercise for the reader :smile:

If only the question writer knew the difference between less and fewer ..

what do you mean by the bit in bold

okay, so I got the second equation as (n-1) x (x+30) = 7810 and substituted in x = 8160 /n

I did a load of working out and somehow I've gotten to 3n^2 - 32n - 816 = 0 which seems like hell to factorise so I'm assuming I've done it wrong,
:/
Original post by medhelp
what do you mean by the bit in bold

Sorry - I'm a (partial) grammar pedant. It's fewer for countable things, not less.
Original post by medhelp
I did a load of working out and somehow I've gotten to 3n^2 - 32n - 816 = 0 which seems like hell to factorise so I'm assuming I've done it wrong,:/

That quadratic doesn't look correct to me.

You have:
nx = 8160 and (n-1)(x+30) = 7810

Expanding the second gives: (n-1)x + 30(n-1) = 7810

To make the numbers simpler, I then subtracted the second from the first, giving:
x - 30(n-1) = 350

We're after x, so substitute for n (from nx=8160), and you should get an equation that you can solve with the quadratic formula, taking the positive root.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry - I'm a (partial) grammar pedant. It's fewer for countable things, not less.

That quadratic doesn't look correct to me.

You have:
nx = 8160 and (n-1)(x+30) = 7810

Expanding the second gives: (n-1)x + 30(n-1) = 7810

To make the numbers simpler, I then subtracted the second from the first, giving:
x - 30(n-1) = 350

We're after x, so substitute for n (from nx=8160), and you should get an equation that you can solve with the quadratic formula, taking the positive root.

when I do the bit in bold it gives me
x^2 - 320 x + 244800 = 0

that almost looks worse than the last quadratic
Original post by medhelp
when I do the bit in bold it gives me
x^2 - 320 x + 244800 = 0

that almost looks worse than the last quadratic

That's correct (at least according to my calculations). Calculate the factors.
That's correct (at least according to my calculations). Calculate the factors.

I got x as 680 so is that the weekly wage of each worker before or after ?

also, there's another question if you wouldn't mind helping me with it: The average marks obtained by 120 students is 35. if the average marks obtained by successful students is 39 and that by unsuccessful students is 15. What is the number of successful students in that examination?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by medhelp
I got x as 680 so is that the weekly wage of each worker before or after ?

Look at the original equations.
Original post by medhelp
The average marks obtained by 120 students is 35. if the average marks obtained by successful students is 39 and that by unsuccessful students is 15. What is the number of successful students in that examination?

There are 120 * 35 marks awarded. Let x be the number of successful students. Can you write a formula for the total number of marks in terms of the averages of the successful and unsuccessful students?
Look at the original equations.

if x = old weekly wage
okay so from n=8160/680
i got that the original number of workers is 12

the new weekly wage should just be the old weekly wage (680) plus 30 = 710

There are 120 * 35 marks awarded. Let x be the number of successful students. Can you write a formula for the total number of marks in terms of the averages of the successful and unsuccessful students?

4200 = 39x + 15y

if y = unsuccessful students
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest