The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarahUniversity
If anyone has done the White & Case video interview would really appreciate some tips or maybe you could drop me a message! :smile:

After how long did you hear back?
Original post by bj_945
Has anyone applied to the Norton Rose Fulbright winter scheme? Do you know if there are any tests involved or just application --> assessment day?

No tests, straight to AC.
Holy Hell, the Simmons & Simmons online tests are an absolute nightmare.

As an aside, has anyone heard back from A & O?
Original post by lawstudent95
Does anyone know a way to practice Simmons and Simmons online judgement test?

I just did a load of research on the firm, looked at the competencies they were looking for and what the firm valued.

Also did a few prep tests. The tests themselves weren't too useful (they were generic grad recruitment tests) but the feedback explained what the question was really looking for and what sort of answers all firms want.
Original post by mackintosh123
I am a graduate too! Talked to Ashurst in their presentation event and they said that they have never seen their vac scheme places fill until the deadline closes + so that to apply when it is more convenient for you. Other firms, not sure. Seems like JD winter is pretty much filled by now though.

Okay brilliant, I'm going to roll out some applications this week and see how it goes! Yeh I decided already for JD that I'd be applying for the spring vac scheme anyway. How have your applications been going? Are you applying to TC's at the same time?
Original post by giggy12s
No tests, straight to AC.

OK, thanks. Have you already heard back?
Original post by erj2018
There's really not much point in complaining about the system, it is what it is. I do think you need to be a bit more open minded. You say that some of the firms that you want to apply for ask for AAA - afaik, Cleary, Sidley, Debevoise, JD. Those firms are not attainable for the vast majority of TC-hunters, widen your net. There are loads of good city shops asking for ABB. Look beyond the magic circle/top US firms, and there are plenty of good City TCs available.

What are your ECs? - the languages are good you just need to sell them well. With regards to your work placements, City firms have brand name fetishes. Unless those are City placements (if they are City placements, they will wonder why you're still hunting for a TC..), they won't make your application stand out. Yes, they show your commitment, but add a bit of colour to your application. If I were a recruiter and saw six placements with no other interesting work experience, I'd be inclined to wonder about what else you have to offer. The stuff about strong interpersonal skills/networking is a given,

I don't mean to be rude, but if it's not a Russell Group/famous, would recruiters consider it to be a 'very good' university? That's what matters.

Your applications are probably not hitting the right spots. Some people are really terrible at writing applications, some get away with it, partly because of grades/experience. If your grades are not typically strong, you need to make your written application very strong. I really doubt your A-Levels are the sole reason for the rejections. Get some feedback. A high 2.1 from a non-russell group is fine for the vast majority of firms, aside from a couple.

Thank you for your reply.
The thing is, I never managed to secure a VS, so I have 6 legal work experience pieces balanced between Italy and the UK. (I know this is not amazing, but I still wanted to do something instead of just waiting for summer to pass without a VS).

This year I am trying my hardest and aim to submit about 4/5 VS before the end of November, if I fail in securing one, then I guess a TC will be out of the question. I really don't want to reconsider my career, but this is the last year I will be in education (doing an LLM atm), so I really don't know what to do in the event of a failure.

I honestly think my applications are good (although there is always room for improvement and am trying to make them always more tailored to the firm).

Ultimately my 33IB points and non-russell uni, will always be a great obstacle for me, and I feel like my apps are just getting filtered out because of that.

What do you mean by ECs? If you mean "extenuating circumstances", the only one I have are that I had to take all my Higher Level IB exams in two consecutive days following a rare timetable clash with the subjects. Would this count?
Original post by hpjpsp
Does anyone know if Norton Rose is rolling?

It's rolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iano101

It says it is rolling, but it also says that all assessment days are in November.I just put an application in yesterday - hope it wasn't too late.
Just completed the WG for Linklaters. Applied 10th October received the invitation today. Anyone got any idea on how long you have to wait before they reject/invite you to AC/inform you you reached the required percentile?

Also, has anyone heard from: Sidley Austin, Dechert, Mishcon de Reya?
Original post by dhhhh123
Just completed the WG for Linklaters. Applied 10th October received the invitation today. Anyone got any idea on how long you have to wait before they reject/invite you to AC/inform you you reached the required percentile?

Did you apply for Linklater's Winter or Summer VS?
Original post by Anthony I
Did you apply for Linklater's Winter or Summer VS?

Winter.
Applying for vac schemes / 2019 TCs

PFOs from CC, Linklaters, JD

Waiting on NRF, Hogan Lovells, Dechert, Dentons, A&O, Freshfields, HSF (Got an email a day after sitting the test saying application was being reviewed). Anyone heard from these firms? :smile:
Reply 433
Original post by soph497
Hey, did mine yesterday. There are 5 questions; each has various elements, but you have 3 minutes to prepare (90 secs to answer, from memory). 1 was introductory, 3 were competency based and 1 commercial awareness. Overall you have plenty of time to prepare and answer so it was probably the best vid interview I've done, and the "intro" question eased the nerves. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by bj_945
Yes - I think the key thing is to watch for the time. The timer is completely uncompromising: if you are still mid-sentence when the time runs out, tough, it cuts out. I really struggled with this aspect of it, and had a messy ending with two out of five questions. I don't know how they treat people with this problem.

Not easy, but I'm sure it gets better with practice.

Thank you both! :smile:
Original post by melovechias

Waiting on NRF, Hogan Lovells, Dechert, Dentons, A&O, Freshfields, HSF (Got an email a day after sitting the test saying application was being reviewed). Anyone heard from these firms? :smile:

OMG :O When did you manage to make all these apps?!
Original post by _Fergo
OMG :O When did you manage to make all these apps?!

Got them done in my free time. If you stay focused you can get an app done every few days! Which is what I did! :smile: Hopefully my effort pays off!
Hey, bit of a dumb question- i've submitted an app and completed a video interview, but whilst checking my status accidentally started a new app for the same stream (just started- have not submitted) will this be fine? should i withdraw that app or just leave it?? :/
Original post by melovechias

How did you get PFO from CC? I thought they would only review apps after deadline? Did you apply for vac scheme or TC there?
Reply 438
Have an interview with Jones Day coming up- I've read about people's differing interview experiences on this thread- does anyone have any tips or can they share a bit about their interview experience?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhhhh123

Still awaiting a response from Mishcon too. They're doing their Law Fair visits at the moment, so that could explain why.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending