The Student Room Group

Should police be allowed to shoot illegal migrants at the border?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Reue
If a country refuses entry and someone tries to get in how is that any different to being invaded? Shoot them

The difference is the intent.
Yes but only if they're posing a risk. If not just catch them and deport them.
Reply 22
They should use non-lethal force.
when someone climbs into the Queen's bedroom they are not shot...
Original post by #ChaosKass
Yes. Absolutely yes. They're breaking the law, why should they be allowed to just cross without any repercussions? If they break the law they deserve to be punished.

So you advocate shooting for all transgressions of the law?
Absolutely disgusting that anyone would support shooting these desperate people.
Yes, shoot them with an education and a right to basic life.
Original post by Reue
If a country refuses entry and someone tries to get in how is that any different to being invaded? Shoot them

A dictionary(or a brain) would help you distinguish between the two
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Yes but only if they're posing a risk. If not just catch them and deport them.

Deport them to where?
If borders were patrolled with fatal force, the migrant crisis wouldn't be in the state it currently is.

Original post by mkap
No way. People go to desperate measures to try and get a better life in the UK. Why should they get shot because of their desperation. I feel sorry for them tbh.

They're in France, they have nothing to flee from.
Original post by childofthesun
Deport them to where?

To wherever they came from? Or just plain kick them out.
Yes, they shouldn't be attempting to illegally enter the country, but they don't deserve to die...
Original post by MildredMalone
If borders were patrolled with fatal force, the migrant crisis wouldn't be in the state it currently is.

They're in France, they have nothing to flee from.

I see. So that makes shooting migrants a legitimate strategy?

They are not obliged to stay in France.

You can't deport people to Syria or Iraq or war zones. It is against international law, not to mention incredibly heartless.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by akbar0123
You can't deport people to Syria or Iraq or war zones.

How do you know they're from Syria/Iraq/other war zones?

Great idea. Let's send some of those migrants back to Syria! (that's in fact illegal)
Original post by childofthesun
Great idea. Let's send some of those migrants back to Syria! (that's in fact illegal)

How do you know for certain they're Syrian though? If you're referring to the migrant crisis now, that's completely different to what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about it in the general sense.
How do you know they're from Syria/Iraq/other war zones?

A lot of them are. Have you not heard of the Syrian Civil War and the resultant exodus of people from that country into Europe?
Original post by mkap
No way. People go to desperate measures to try and get a better life in the UK. Why should they get shot because of their desperation. I feel sorry for them tbh.

I'm going to talk about the Calais Jungle migrants with this one. They've been offered accommodation and help by the French but that means having to put themselves onto the French system and to claim asylum in France. Why wouldn't they want to do that? France is a rich country and it's a safe country. My guess is the French welfare system isn't as generous.

And you talk about desperate measures, can you really say that to the journalists who have been either raped, held at knife point or been assaulted by some of the Calais Jungle migrants? And have you seen how much chaos they cause on the motorways to lorry drivers?

Not saying that all migrants are like this but it gives an indication as to what they're like and why they shouldn't ever be let in.
Original post by akbar0123
A lot of them are. Have you not heard of the Syrian Civil War and the resultant exodus of people from that country into Europe?

Yes I have. I was talking about it in the general sense. I wasn't referring to the migrant crisis specifically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending