The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing Management with French at Notts, so duno if that counts for this thread. I had other offers at Kings, Aston, Notts (Management Studies) and UEA but chose Notts as I instantly fell in love with it and the course seemed to fit me better than all of the others. Cannot wait, staying in Newark Hall. You?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I don't even know anything that's on the course! I'm looking forward to practical group tasks and stuff like that, hope it's not all boring theory anyway. I don't like the sound of presentations either, especially in front of the big management classes, which you can see in the prospectus!

Newark hall, is that on Jubilee? I'm an insurance choice so I have to choose self catering. Am a bit unsure whether to stay at Raleigh, which is close to Jubilee and where other management people will be or to stay at Broadgate and be close to the main Uni!
Reply 3
I also got it as insurance. Might be starting in 2008, depending on whether or not my firm choice come back to me and offer me a place (missed their entry requirements of an A in french by 1 ums). I'd be happy to go nottingham, it has a pretty campus and really good night life. Plus the management course looks exciting, the entrepreneur part of the course should be fun.
Afallen
I don't even know anything that's on the course! I'm looking forward to practical group tasks and stuff like that, hope it's not all boring theory anyway. I don't like the sound of presentations either, especially in front of the big management classes, which you can see in the prospectus!

If you're doing what we did last year, theres two presentations in the first semester. One is infront of the business school head guy and the other is infront of a bunch of Entrepreneurs. Its fun though. :biggrin:
Reply 5
I'll also be starting in 2007. I chose Management in Notts over offers from Aston, Warwick and Manchester. There is a SLIGHT problem with my grades (I have met the offer but the uni hasn't recieved them, wierd in know) but I hope that gets sorted out soon so I can come to Nottm on Sep 18th :biggrin:

I'll most probably be staying at either Raleigh Park or St Peter's Court.
Reply 6
sax gal
I also got it as insurance. Might be starting in 2008, depending on whether or not my firm choice come back to me and offer me a place (missed their entry requirements of an A in french by 1 ums). I'd be happy to go nottingham, it has a pretty campus and really good night life. Plus the management course looks exciting, the entrepreneur part of the course should be fun.

Ah another person who is doing Management with French, woo!
Reply 7
Afallen

Newark hall, is that on Jubilee? I'm an insurance choice so I have to choose self catering. Am a bit unsure whether to stay at Raleigh, which is close to Jubilee and where other management people will be or to stay at Broadgate and be close to the main Uni!

Hi i'm not doing management, i'll be in education which is also on Jubilee. since i'm such a great cook :p: i'm going for self-catered, and will be in madison on raleigh park. quite getting excited now, i've applied for this course since last November (took a gap year) which was a looong time ago and now suddenly it looks so near..!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Hey guys. Just thought, does anyone have the reading list for Management at Nottingham? If there is one?
Reply 9
If you're doing what we did last year, theres two presentations in the first semester. One is infront of the business school head guy and the other is infront of a bunch of Entrepreneurs. Its fun though

With entrepreneurs? Like Dragons Den? Sounds hilarious
Did you enjoy your first year of management? Is the workload OK?

Apparently there is no reading list. Some guy on facebook e-mailed asking, the swot :rolleyes:
Reply 10
So what sort of books are we supposed to buy then?! Grrrr darn unis!
Reply 11
I was told by a Nottingham uni rep NOT to buy any books as of now. The official reading list might change before the year starts and that it is better to buy books off 2nd years.
Reply 12
Ahh kk. Thanks for that!
Afallen
With entrepreneurs? Like Dragons Den? Sounds hilarious
Did you enjoy your first year of management? Is the workload OK?

Apparently there is no reading list. Some guy on facebook e-mailed asking, the swot :rolleyes:

Exactly like Dragons Den.

First year was good, first semester was a lot easier than the second. The workload is as big as you make it tbh.

There is no reading list. Its not advised to buy your books at this point because they can change what edition/book they are using for the specific modules. But, once you get here, in the first week there will be a slot where 2nd years go to sell their books and first years can buy it off them. Also, you'll have access to the individual module forums where people post up notices/questions for the module convenor/book sales (usually get them at the best price there) and lastly, you can use the unicycle website (http://www.unicycle-it.co.uk/)... which is where I got most of my books from. The only disadvantage is that they dont remove the old advertisements so it takes a bit of searching.
Well, I was accepted in several management courses in different unis (Manchester, Nottingham, Cardiff, etc). Didn't really see too much difference in the course content. So I ended up picking Nottingham as it seemed like a cool place to study - good nightlife, nice campus, good facilities, big union and so on. Was also ranked 8th or so in last year's Times university guide.

I haven't heard anything about suggested reading lists. Though it can't hurt to read some books by the likes of Peter Druckard, Warren Buffet, Ben Graham, Adam Smith, etc....

Thing that worries me is the stats. I didn't do a maths AS, so hopefully it won't be too intensive. Ah well, guess I can make up for it in the other modules.

Also, does anyone know if we'll be learning about the stock markets? I heard of a few unis doing a virtual stock exchange type thing, where students invest virtual money and try to make the most profit. Would be cool.
Reply 15
rider_jones

I haven't heard anything about suggested reading lists. Though it can't hurt to read some books by the likes of Peter Druckard, Warren Buffet, Ben Graham, Adam Smith, etc....

lol at DRUCKARD.

But yeah, just read a book by him - The Definitive Drucker - its seriously brilliant. You can get it on the cheap from Amazon. I would recommend it to anyone whos doing management.
Ali07
lol at DRUCKARD.

But yeah, just read a book by him - The Definitive Drucker - its seriously brilliant. You can get it on the cheap from Amazon. I would recommend it to anyone whos doing management.

LOL, it's been a long day in the office. Drucker, that's it! Thinking of reading some myself. :biggrin:
rider_jones

Also, does anyone know if we'll be learning about the stock markets? I heard of a few unis doing a virtual stock exchange type thing, where students invest virtual money and try to make the most profit. Would be cool.

Yeah, there is a society for that.
Reply 18
OH! i have some books and will gladly sell them as they are of no use to me.

Although i stupidly highlighted one of my books so can't sell that! :p: (unless anyone is particularly fond of pink highlighter!) But yes, i do have a few that i will sell for lower than shop prices (obv) that i didn't even use!

I want to make friends with the 07/08 management people cos i'll be stuck with you guys when i come back from my year abroad! :p:
Reply 19
Multiplexed
Yeah, there is a society for that.

Do you know what software they use for this?

I had offers from Durham, KCL, Nottm, Aston, Manchester. Chose Nottm because:
1) Didn't want to spend most of my life in London - when I have the money I will feel more comfortable.
2) Durham's business course is inferior to KCL and Nottm
3) Aston and Manchester where not even considered.

Latest

Trending

Trending