The Student Room Group

Job prospects for MSc in Mechanical Engineering and Management

Hi everyone, I just finished my undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering. Two weeks ago, I received an offer letter from University of Glasgow to pursue MSc in Mechanical Engineering and Management. Is it possible to know the job scenario if I do graduate with this degree? I am an international student with 8 months experience in CFD.

Thanks in advance for devoting few minutes to answer this question.
(edited 10 months ago)
Engineering management typically is related to project management for engineering projects.

This degree would probably make you a reasonable candidate for engineering or program/project management graduate level roles. With your 8 months experience you may well be able to apply for direct entry 1 year experience jobs as well.

This degree is unlikely to push you into a more advanced position any quicker then just staying in your job however if you want to move company or break in to a specific industry/company (or move country/region) you could apply with your status as a masters graduate to these positions.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot, I thought in future, it would be beneficial for me.
Original post by tm7657
Hi everyone, I just finished my undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering. Two weeks ago, I received an offer letter from University of Glasgow to pursue MSc in Mechanical Engineering and Management. Is it possible to know the job scenario if I do graduate with this degree? I am an international student with 8 months experience in CFD.

Thanks in advance for devoting few minutes to answer this question.

Are you aiming for employment in the UK or elsewhere?
Reply 4
Mostly in UK
Reply 5
Doing a straightforward mechanical engineering masters shouldn’t limit your options for program or project management graduate roles. Just make sure the course is accredited by the IMechE.

People management is rarely an entry level role. You need to be promoted and sometimes even do an MBA or other courses during employment.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
The course isn’t accredited by IMechE, the reason I chose Mechanical Engineering and Management was to gain managerial knowledge along with technical skills. I am fine with an entry-level job.
Reply 7
Original post by tm7657
The course isn’t accredited by IMechE, the reason I chose Mechanical Engineering and Management was to gain managerial knowledge along with technical skills. I am fine with an entry-level job.

Then pick another mechanical engineering course that’s accredited. The management side of it is not useful. Nobody within industry is going to deem you competent with just a degree and no proven project success.

I studied mechanical engineering and I’m a project manager.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Ok, thanks a lot for your advice.
Original post by tm7657

Engineering management refers to managing engineering projects (ie program management for engineering related industries) not general management.
Original post by tm7657
Mostly in UK

Do you have a suitable visa?
Yeah better off to get accredited. You get good management skills with experience. Also some courses such as mech eng at Leeds have an economics or management module in y2

Quick Reply

Latest