The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Saff123

Yes, you certainly can't he aligned himself with Hitler got his fingers burnt and switched sides. I've never understood the intellectual double standard between Stalin, Mao on the one hand and Hitler.

Whether he switched sides or not, involvement of Soviet Union helped Allies to win the war. What strikes me is the double standards of people who are happy to criticise Stalin, but deny whatever effort his forces put to stop Fascism. Yes, he did switch sides, but the question is not about his decisions, the question is about their consequences, and at the time Churchill and Roosevelt were only too happy to ally with him, because of the sheer army force he provided.
Reply 41
explosions hurt
Blacks stand out more in snow.
But yeah it isnt that bad if you say in Moscow and Petersburg, when i went we didnt have any issues, except one guy had a "random" search at the airport and you do get funny looks.

Lol.
Reply 42
AutVinceriAutMori
Whether he switched sides or not, involvement of Soviet Union helped Allies to win the war. What strikes me is the double standards of people who are happy to criticise Stalin, but deny whatever effort his forces put to stop Fascism. Yes, he did switch sides, but the question is not about his decisions, the question is about their consequences, and at the time Churchill and Roosevelt were only too happy to ally with him, because of the sheer army force he provided.

Stalin was an absolute monster full stop. Only an feckless imbecile would deny how bravely the Soviet troops fought, the letters Soviet fighters sent to their beloveds are some of the finest pieces of war/love literature ever put to paper.

They deserve credit despite Stalin, not because of him and his corrupt regime; executing their top military brass cost far more Russian casualties then need have been.
We are bickering over terminology here. The bare bones of this situation is that Stalin, and the Communists in general, were absolute animals and anyone seeking to restore it to government deserves all the abuse they get. 10 years of getting their fingers burnt with capitalism is not a justification for bringing state-sanctioned mass murder back.
Reply 44
Diaz89
It always astounded me that there would be Russian Neo Nazis, an Ideology and a state that killed 20 Million of their countrymen

Agreed. I saw the Louis Theroux documentary about Russian skinheads, their veneration of Adolf Hitler is bizarre considering he considered the slavic peoples to be 'untermensch' and what have happily seen them all dead.
Saff123
Stalin was an absolute monster full stop. Only an feckless imbecile would deny how bravely the Soviet troops fought, the letters Soviet fighters sent to their beloveds are some of the finest pieces of war/love literature ever put to paper.
They deserve credit despite Stalin, not because of him and his corrupt regime; executing their top military brass cost far more Russian casualties then need have been.

There you go, my point exactly. He might have been a monster, but denying Soviet Union its credit, is to deny those troops credit. If you look at my original post, it was Soviet Union I was talking about.

As to the earlier talk about racism, it was not racism that was prevalent in Stalin's regime, it was religious intolerance, which is often linked to racism, but not in this case- a friend of my grandads was questioned over crossing himself, despite being Russian.
Reply 46
Lefty Leo
Because it's a polite way of telling Bismarck to provide sources :p:

Which i will now tell you. Provide sources for your outlandish claim :p:

I see he gets questions politely framed. Clearly double standards are a play here. Theres a great book called "Jews & Jewish Life in Russia & the Soviet Union", also worth reading the first few chapters of the biography of Sergey Brin "the story of Sergey Brin" where he recounts being Jewish in the USSR, it's confirmed by the stories of other Jews and Turkic migrants from Russia.

And no, i don't suck up to the mods. I get on average two warnings a week.

Having two warnings on average a week would seem reason enough.

I just tend to agree with Bismarck on a lot of things and enjoy debating with him :smile:

Kudos for slipping yet another back handed compliment into your post. Well played. :wink:
Reply 47
Gueirguiy
A big reason why "some" russians may be racist is because alot of people from neighbouring countries do literally take a huge number of jobs.

Last time I was in Russia, I drove past a mass, maybe about 700 non russians looking for cheap work, they would work for pennies.
There were alot of these masses across Moscow, so you can imagine that a standard rate russian builder is not going to get business when for 3 bottles of vodka you can get your garage roof done.

PS. He did a wonderful job on the garage :p:

Lmao! this made me laugh.. but then again it is sooooo true.
Saff123
I see he gets questions politely framed. Clearly double standards are a play here. Theres a great book called "Jews & Jewish Life in Russia & the Soviet Union", also worth reading the first few chapters of the biography of Sergey Brin "the story of Sergey Brin" where he recounts being Jewish in the USSR, it's confirmed by the stories of other Jews and Turkic migrants from Russia.

Having two warnings on average a week would seem reason enough.

Kudos for slipping yet another back handed compliment into your post. Well played. :wink:

A single book? Is that all you can muster? Can't you fathom the awesome power of, ironically, Sergey Brin's creation to find me something else to prove your seemingly outlandish claims? :wink:

Yes, whatever you want to imagine :rolleyes:
Reply 49
Lefty Leo
A single book? Is that all you can muster? Can't you fathom the awesome power of, ironically, Sergey Brin's creation to find me something else to prove your seemingly outlandish claims? :wink:

Yes, whatever you want to imagine :rolleyes:

That would be two books, which would offer you references to other sources.

And I was only pulling your leg about the mods. I detect a sense of humor failure.
Saff123
That would be two books, which would offer you references to other sources.

And I was only pulling your leg about the mods. I detect a sense of humor failure.

Link me :p:

And forgive me for being less than warm towards you, but you can't expect much more :s-smilie:
Reply 51
Lefty Leo
Hardly; even Khruschev was a Ukrainian (i think) and even Stalin was a Georgian. The USSR had huge numbers of Tartars (muslims i guess) in its army and police force and Russia still does. The institution itself forced equality, total blind illogical equality, down the throat of its populations; it is ridiculous to suggest that the same institution could be institutionally racist.

After Stalin (and before Stalin), every Soviet leader was a Slav, despite Slavs making up half of the USSR's population. In every Soviet Republic, the "first secretary", i.e. the person who made sure the head of the Republic didn't deviate from Soviet policy, was an ethnic Russian. A vast majority of the Politburo, and most of the top generals were Slavs. Every nation in the USSR had to speak Russian, and adopt Russian customs. Take it from someone who lived in the place, the USSR was a very, very racist place.

I was unaware of this; could you link me to a relevant page detailing on this? :smile:

http://books.google.com/books?id=bJBH5pxzSyMC&dq=jews+and+jewish+life+in+russia+and+the+soviet+union&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=EzKcStyFNZrnnQeOlZGWCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/46574/zvi-gitelman/glasnost-perestroika-and-antisemitism
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,875826,00.html
http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/91_3.cfm
Reply 52
AutVinceriAutMori
There you go, my point exactly. He might have been a monster, but denying Soviet Union its credit, is to deny those troops credit. If you look at my original post, it was Soviet Union I was talking about.

As to the earlier talk about racism, it was not racism that was prevalent in Stalin's regime, it was religious intolerance, which is often linked to racism, but not in this case- a friend of my grandads was questioned over crossing himself, despite being Russian.

I mistook your earlier point for which I apologize, but there is no may have been a monster, anymore than Einstein may have been slightly cleaver.

I can acknowledge the sacrifices and bravery of the Soviet people whilst still withholding the same for the vast majority of Soviet leadership, the two are not synonymous.

Religious intolerance was part of it, but strains of ethnic intolerance ran throughout the life of the USSR, and sat uneasy with it's official ideals. I am not for one moment comparing the USSR with fascism in degrees, merely pointing out that under Stalin innumerable deaths occurred based on ethnicity, not just religion. And later settled into a quiet state racism, which has gotten worse since the break up.
Bismarck
After Stalin (and before Stalin), every Soviet leader was a Slav, despite Slavs making up half of the USSR's population. In every Soviet Republic, the "first secretary", i.e. the person who made sure the head of the Republic didn't deviate from Soviet policy, was an ethnic Russian. A vast majority of the Politburo, and most of the top generals were Slavs. Every nation in the USSR had to speak Russian, and adopt Russian customs. Take it from someone who lived in the place, the USSR was a very, very racist place.

http://books.google.com/books?id=bJBH5pxzSyMC&dq=jews+and+jewish+life+in+russia+and+the+soviet+union&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=EzKcStyFNZrnnQeOlZGWCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/46574/zvi-gitelman/glasnost-perestroika-and-antisemitism
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,875826,00.html
http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/91_3.cfm

Well, is that racism or cultural chauvinism? Because the same argument could be used for the French or Americans :p: Whether or not they were culturally chauvinistic, did they look down on a brown person or a black person simply because they were brown or black?

About the articles themselves, aside from the 200 page book which i'll probably never get around to reading, the 2nd article was written in the 60s with likely little insider knowledge, the third describes cultural chauvinism and an attempt to unify the country along linguistic lines at least, and the third was written at the collapse of the soviet union when the country was going through massive change and upheaval is to be expected. I don't see any racism :p:
Reply 54
Lefty Leo
Well, is that racism or cultural chauvinism? Because the same argument could be used for the French or Americans :p: Whether or not they were culturally chauvinistic, did they look down on a brown person or a black person simply because they were brown or black?

No, it can't. People willingly immigrated to the US and France, knowing they'd have to adapt to the new cultures. Russia conquered other nations and forced them to adopt its culture. The behavior of the Soviet Union was little different to the behavior of the Russian Empire. Some of the explicit racism might have been toned down (though even Lenin said that non-Slavs weren't fit for communism without being "guided" by their Slavic brothers), but popular racism was left unchecked and often encouraged by the elites.

And yes, Russians have and do look down upon, discriminate, and often attack people purely because of their ethnicity, whether that ethnicity is Jewish (as defined by the Soviet Union and later Russia), Tajik, or "African". The fact that 60% of all the Africans in Russia have been victims of racist attacks should be sufficient evidence in itself to show how racist Russia is. So is the fact that Africans are regularly equated to monkeys by Russian elites and the Russian public, which also happens to be why Obama is so derisively viewed in Russia.
Saff123
I mistook your earlier point for which I apologize, but there is no may have been a monster, anymore than Einstein may have been slightly cleaver.

I can acknowledge the sacrifices and bravery of the Soviet people whilst still withholding the same for the vast majority of Soviet leadership, the two are not synonymous.

Religious intolerance was part of it, but strains of ethnic intolerance ran throughout the life of the USSR, and sat uneasy with it's official ideals. I am not for one moment comparing the USSR with fascism in degrees, merely pointing out that under Stalin innumerable deaths occurred based on ethnicity, not just religion. And later settled into a quiet state racism, which has gotten worse since the break up.

I agree that Stalin was a monster, far be it from me to defend a dictator like him, but many people judge a country by its ruler, which isn't entirely fair.
Reply 56
Lefty Leo

Well there is plenty of evidence to suggest that racism is a real problem in France, surveys conduced found candidates with a foreign sounding names, but equal or better resumes are far less likely to be called for interview as their French sounding counterparts. They refuse to collect statistics based on race which only compounds the problems. Public figures can often make outrageous remarks like "the the Black Penis is causing famine" and not have to apologize, a Black TV new anchor made the headlines a few years ago for being a black new anchor. You really can't compare France to the US.
Hmmmmmmmm. Being black I have to admit that this doesnt surprise. Racism works in all ways and directions though. Backward ways, ideology and beliefs are all things to blame for racism. I think that this is an important time in human history due to probably the greatest mixing of races, and peoples from all difference places. I hope and think that over time this intergration will slowly erase most racism from all over the world...although I dont think this wil happen.
Reply 58
AutVinceriAutMori
I agree that Stalin was a monster, far be it from me to defend a dictator like him, but many people judge a country by its ruler, which isn't entirely fair.

I agree, I don't approve of this anti-Russian hysteria thats been going around of late, i.e assumptions were reached about the Georgian conflict before the facts proved otherwise. To some extent I see Russias point in its dispute with the Ukraine. If anything we seem to be pushing Russia further away, by the tone we set.

I'm assuming your Russian at least ethnically, well let me say I think Dostoyevsky is the greatest thing since sliced bread, in fact I rather starve than not have had the good grace to have read him, and I think Shostakovich is beyond genius equalling the Aust/German greats. Only very bigoted people judge entire peoples by a few, and their view really shouldn't count for much, now should they?
Reply 59
AutVinceriAutMori

I think you'll find the Russian general public is far more racist than its leaders. Non-whites and Jews are strongly looked down upon, and are frequent victims of violence.

Saff123
I agree, I don't approve of this anti-Russian hysteria thats been going around of late, i.e assumptions were reached about the Georgian conflict before the facts proved otherwise. To some extent I see Russias point in its dispute with the Ukraine. If anything we seem to be pushing Russia further away, by the tone we set.

How about the part where the Russian government forced numerous Georgians living in Russia onto cargo planes and dumped them into Georgia shortly after the conflict began, killing several in the process (due to lack of access to their medications). Or the part where ethnic Georgians were kicked out of Russian schools? There's nothing to drive away. Russia views itself as a superpower and gets offended any time someone dares to suggest that it doesn't have the right to control all of its neighbors.

Latest

Trending

Trending