The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EffKayy
What was the answer about the evidence showing its on the X chromosome or something

Was it not that if it was sex linked, and attached to the x chromosome, then that means a male (who has only 1 x chromosome) would HAVE to have it? something like that, forgot now...
Original post by Jadelyndsey
Was it not that if it was sex linked, and attached to the x chromosome, then that means a male (who has only 1 x chromosome) would HAVE to have it? something like that, forgot now...

oh yes I wrote that ^_^

I also drew a diagram of this and was like " As you can see, my diagram shows..." LOOL!
Original post by EffKayy
What was the answer about the evidence showing its on the X chromosome or something

The fact that, on the diagram, only male offspring were hairless, suggesting hairless females is either impossible or very rare. This shows sex-linkage because females would require two alleles coding for hairlessness to present itself in the phenotype (it's a recessive allele) but in males, there is no homologous portion on the Y chromosome so only one recessive allele is required for them to exhibit hairlessness in the phenotype. Hence, hairlessness is more common in male offspring. :smile:
Original post by Heyimdec
I think rainfall would have been fine too, haha. :tongue:

What about wind? LMFAOOOO I wrote wind becase I left that question out, and had about 20 seconds to write an answer. Any chance "wind" would be an answer?
This was a reallly hard paper in my opinion! Think its unfair that there are soo many how science works questions
Original post by EffKayy
About the nitrate concentration decreasing? :s-smilie:

Gahh I can't remember >.< I wrote about mutualistic nitrogen fixing bacteria somewhere in the exam though xD
I THINK it was how they use the oxygen to make nitrates, so I put about fixing with Oxygen with the Nitrogen in the sewage to make nitrates >.<
Original post by PatrickD
The fact that, on the diagram, only male offspring were hairless, suggesting hairless females is either impossible or very rare. This shows sex-linkage because females would require two alleles coding for hairlessness to present itself in the phenotype (it's a recessive allele) but in males, there is no homologous portion on the Y chromosome so only one recessive allele is required for them to exhibit hairlessness in the phenotype. Hence, hairlessness is more common in male offspring. :smile:

This was 1 mark... ? :s-smilie:
Think I only said the last bit and gave reference to the diagram and talked about the Y choromsome being shorter etc
Reply 2147
Feel pretty gutted about this exam, messed up the genetic cross question and also couldn't get the efficency of energy transfer question so there's 6 marks gone already :mad:
What about wind? LMFAOOOO I wrote wind becase I left that question out, and had about 20 seconds to write an answer. Any chance "wind" would be an answer?

Yeah wind is an abiotic factor.
Reply 2149
Original post by Smiley Face :)
This was a reallly hard paper in my opinion! Think its unfair that there are soo many how science works questions

Facebook group?

YESYESYES, I put this too. :biggrin:
Original post by EffKayy
oh yes I wrote that ^_^

I also drew a diagram of this and was like " As you can see, my diagram shows..." LOOL!

Most mark schemes accept diagrams, and apparently if the diagram looks correct they just give you the mark even if your description is wrong. I haphazardly answered that question, and I think i wrote female by mistake instead of male :frown: even though i know male=XY and female=XX FML!
Original post by Cryptorchid306
Gahh I can't remember >.< I wrote about mutualistic nitrogen fixing bacteria somewhere in the exam though xD
I THINK it was how they use the oxygen to make nitrates, so I put about fixing with Oxygen with the Nitrogen in the sewage to make nitrates >.<

My teacher said it was waterlogged conditions and therefore more denitrifying bacteria so more nitrates respired to n2 so less nitrate.

I also put that ^
but not sureeeee \=
Think there'll be a range of answers in the MS
(edited 12 years ago)

I would imagine so, yes.
Original post by Heyimdec
YESYESYES, I put this too. :biggrin:

You wrote a whole paragraph for a one mark question?! o_o
Original post by EffKayy
This was 1 mark... ? :s-smilie:
Think I only said the last bit and gave reference to the diagram and talked about the Y choromsome being shorter etc

Yeah, I just thought I'd give a full explanation here so people could see the reason if they're not sure. For 1 mark, your answer is probably fine.

I have a bad habit of writing my whole thought process for the examiner to see! :tongue:
Original post by Besakt
Facebook group?

Go for it, I'm becoming less confident about my marks by the minute. :/
Original post by alexissocool
Yeah wind is an abiotic factor.

OOOH YAY. Even my sub-conscience is a gene-yus. hellz yeh.
Yeah, I just thought I'd give a full explanation here so people could see the reason if they're not sure. For 1 mark, your answer is probably fine.

I have a bad habit of writing my whole thought process for the examiner to see! :tongue:

I hope the examiner sees my wonderful diagram as I am **** at explaining all this inheritance stuff haha!
Reply 2159
Original post by Cryptorchid306
Go for it, I'm becoming less confident about my marks by the minute. :/

Don't use facebook I was hoping somebody else would do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending