The Student Room Group

How much money would someone with a Range Rover usually earn?

I am an international student and in my country the taxes are like 300% on imported cars, and I don't have any idea what kind of people in UK drive range rovers. I am hopefully moving to the UK, and just curious, how much would a person driving a range rover would usually earn? The car has a base price of 61000 pounds to give you an idea...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
depends what make or model... my parents used to own a range rover, and now own a discovery and earn less than 40k a year between them...
It depends on whether or not it's a brand new '12 plate or an older model. Could also depend on the job itself. My dad's only ever kept cars for three years and gets a brand new one after those three years, because he has a company car and that's their policy - give people at his level a new car every 3 years and sell the cars on after. Rinse and repeat. He has a good job, but no way would he be able to afford our Jaguar if he'd had to buy it. However, he'd be able to afford a second-hand, slightly older model.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
There's a bloke (presumably) near me with 2 old ones on his drive covered in carp fishing magazine stickers. He doesn't seem particularly rich, just enthusiastic about range rovers (and carp fishing)

I guess the new ones that look like they've never been further off road than sainsbury's car park are owned by the new rich , especially if they've got the chrome speed gills on the side.
Original post by Joinedup
There's a bloke (presumably) near me with 2 old ones on his drive covered in carp fishing magazine stickers. He doesn't seem particularly rich, just enthusiastic about range rovers (and carp fishing)

I guess the new ones that look like they've never been further off road than sainsbury's car park are owned by the new rich , especially if they've got the chrome speed gills on the side.

regards for your counsel, aristocratic sir
Reply 5
Original post by Fresh Prince of
I am an international student and in my country the taxes are like 300% on imported cars, and I don't have any idea what kind of people in UK drive range rovers. I am hopefully moving to the UK, and just curious, how much would a person driving a range rover would usually earn? The car has a base price of 61000 pounds to give you an idea...

A Chelsea Tractor? They'd be unemployed, but their husband would be earning at least half a million a year.
Original post by Hopple
A Chelsea Tractor? They'd be unemployed, but their husband would be earning at least half a million a year.

so it's not cool to drive a range rover in london?
Reply 7

The husbands drive fancy cars or BMWs/Mercs etc, the wives drive range rovers.

It's popular to drive range rovers, but they have a certain reputation :tongue:
Reply 8
regards for your counsel, aristocratic sir

aristocrats are in the old range rover camp. Just substitue the carp fishing stickers for BASC and national trust ones and throw a dog blanket in the back.
Reply 9

Absolutely not, buy a classy car. Range rovers are for farmers and suburban women who feel scared on the road. Usually awful drivers.
Reply 10
Landrovers are class less.
The queen owns and drives a landrover for starters. There's also plenty of scumbags that own then and any demographic you care to think of in between.
Heck, I've had at least 3 that I can think of? (Although that doesn't mean to say I like them - I just need one once a year for the winter when it snows).
Reply 11

where did you get the base price of £61k from?

if you check there most expensive one is 69k and the defender @ 21k

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/rr/range-rover/

also a person earning £1 a year could afford one if he knew the right people.

so like most things it could range from £1 - £2m+
Original post by RyanT
Absolutely not, buy a classy car. Range rovers are for farmers and suburban women who feel scared on the road. Usually awful drivers.

I agree, but one important distinction I've found is on my rural turf it's all Range Rover Vogue models as opposed to Range Rover Sport models in urban areas.
Reply 13
I think the road tax is £480 and the guzzle fuel. And with fuel being so expensive here there's not much point. They're not that expensive second hand.
They're not cool unless you're a woman.
Reply 14
get a bmw, how old are you? if less than 21 get that land rover that looks like a sedan, don't remember the name, drives so beautifully
Reply 15
evogue* about half of that price and better looking in my opinion. unless you just want a big car
Reply 16
Original post by kumori
where did you get the base price of £61k from?

if you check there most expensive one is 69k and the defender @ 21k

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/rr/range-rover/

also a person earning £1 a year could afford one if he knew the right people.

so like most things it could range from £1 - £2m+

A Defender isn't a Range Rover...
really does depend on the type as old landrovers are ten a penny :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Schleigg
A Defender isn't a Range Rover...

o yer my bad... they start at 28.6k then
Agree that range rovers are for suburban housewives or farmers. Unless they have tinted windows and big rims, in which case they're the vehicle of choice for drug dealers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending