The Student Room Group

Orange Walks

I was unsure whether or not to post this here, since Orange walks are more about hatred and bigotry than anything else, but they are carried out (and indeed receive government funding) under the guise of politics and "cultural celebration"

Now as you may be aware a contentious issue has been allowing the Orange Order to march through Nationalist areas in Ireland. You may ask why they would even want to do this, and it is because in spite of the 'celebrating our culture' excuse it is and always has been about religious triumphalism.

Here is a video taken yesterday of the OO deciding to halt their march outside a Catholic church and start playing the 'Famine Song' (question the intelligence of these people, born in Ulster, singing "the Famine is over why don't you go home"... in Ulster). They then attack the person filming their sectarian celebrations.

Remember this is actually funded by the government. It went on for 15-20 mins while the police and and Unionist politicians stood by and watched, and only intervened when the person filming was attacked.

Interesting that all you hear on the news is that the Orange walks happen peacefully "but for some Republican youths".

I think saddest of all is the fact there are children present, and actively taking part in it all. In 2012. Think about that while you watch it:

[video="youtube;My5cf2zlkpo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My5cf2zlkpo[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you think orange walks are mostly about hatred and bigotry then you have to take a look at yourself and wonder if its not you that is the one is a bigot. I've seen many orange walks go down very very smoothly and it is only silly young men wearing celtic tops claiming there irish catholics when they neither have been to ireland in there life or been to chapel in the past say 5 years.
Reply 2
Did someone forget to lock the cage tonight?
Original post by johnnn
If you think orange walks are mostly about hatred and bigotry then you have to take a look at yourself and wonder if its not you that is the one is a bigot. I've seen many orange walks go down very very smoothly and it is only silly young men wearing celtic tops claiming there irish catholics when they neither have been to ireland in there life or been to chapel in the past say 5 years.
Yeah, erm, maybe where you live. In merseyside we get a lot of people from norn ironland over for the day and a fair few of our own too. I have never seen a more disgraceful group of people. Drunk at 5, trashing trains, 2 cases of BTP getting beaten up, singing songs filled with sectarian hatred.
The Orange Order are without a doubt a vile institution and it's obvious that walks are only staged to wind-up others. Sadly we've got more than our fair share of these religious cult nut-cases in Scotland.

Sadly nothing will be fixed until people on both sides forget about their fairytales and events of 300 years ago and embrace the 21st century.
Reply 5
I saw this problem in Liverpool - although without the violence - when the supporters of the local Orange Order (Protestant crypto-Freemasonry) in Anfield started singing anti-Catholicism songs. I think the schism between Protestantism and Catholicism runs very deep in Ireland; historically there was always antagonism between Catholics and Protestants such as that which resulted in the Nine Years War. This violence has its origins in the anarchy felt towards the authority of the Catholic Church, by that I mean Luther and Calvin.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TOSCS
I was unsure whether or not to post this here, since Orange walks are more about hatred and bigotry than anything else, but they are carried out (and indeed receive government funding) under the guise of politics and "cultural celebration"

Some Orangemen are bigots, some are not. In either case, it usually happens that those who come from the other side of the community and aggressively criticise them as being bigots are also bigots themselves.

Some parts of Northern Ireland are a giant embarrassing sectarian mess.

Here is a video taken yesterday of the OO deciding to halt their march outside a Catholic church and start playing the 'Famine Song' (question the intelligence of these people, born in Ulster, singing "the Famine is over why don't you go home"... in Ulster). They then attack the person filming their sectarian celebrations.

Contemptible behaviour.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I'd be happy for the Orange Order - in it's entirety - to take a long march off a short pier.
Reply 8
Original post by L i b
Some Orangemen are bigots, some are not. In either case, it usually happens that those who come from the other side of the community and aggressively criticise them as being bigots are also bigots themselves.

This is quite simply amazing logic.

Labelling bigotry as bigotry makes you a bigot, folks :rolleyes:

This is how the PSNI treat Republicans who protest about this sort of behaviour:

Compare and contrast with their indifference in the above video
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TOSCS

A claim you've entirely invented. What I've said is that many on one side of the divide use accusations of bigotry as weapons in their own sectarian bigotry. Especially when they come from people like you.

This is how the PSNI treat Republicans who protest about this sort of behaviour:

Compare and contrast with their indifference in the above video

Quite frankly, no-one's going to believe you on this.
Reply 10
If you don't want to believe video and photographic evidence that's your call, we've already established what passes for logic in your mind so it's no surprise.
Reply 11
Original post by TOSCS

That's clearly not what he said. Calling out bigotry doesn't make you a bigot, he was just making the observation that often people who do that are bigots themselves. He didn't say that action is what makes them bigots.
Reply 12
Original post by TOSCS
If you don't want to believe video and photographic evidence that's your call, we've already established what passes for logic in your mind so it's no surprise.

To be honest, you do your own cause no favours. Watching a terrorist sympathiser moan about people playing sectarian songs just makes you look like you're pathetically trying to play the victim. We know fine well what the likes of you have done in Northern Ireland, it and turns the stomach of everyone over here.

As your your photograph, it shows a man being restrained by police officers in the rain with his clothes a bit tussled. Nothing more. It doesn't show 'a nationalist', it doesn't show Ardoyne (unless you're exceptionally familiar with the pavements of Ulster), it doesn't show anyone being 'stripped' and it certainly doesn't show anyone being 'beaten'. There are plenty of legitimate explanations for what can be seen there - and no-one will believe you if you try to tell us, without any evidence whatsoever, that this was not the case.
Disgraceful behaviour. There wouldn't be much of a problem if they would just march and have their bands play, fine, go for it. Every year they demand to be let enter Catholic areas and here we have a lovely display of how bigoted some of them are. I cannot BELIEVE that some of them want to march in Dublin, they must be stupid if they think they will be let away with this sectarian behaviour there.
Reply 14
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Disgraceful behaviour. There wouldn't be much of a problem if they would just march and have their bands play, fine, go for it. Every year they demand to be let enter Catholic areas and here we have a lovely display of how bigoted some of them are. I cannot BELIEVE that some of them want to march in Dublin, they must be stupid if they think they will be let away with this sectarian behaviour there.

They were once before. Every year nationalists give them their day of celebration and agree to make some concessions to let them have their marches of hatred, and every year they show just what lowlife scum they are.
In Dublin? Yes I know, I saw it happen. It shows how thick skinned they are that they want to do it again!
I wonder how many of them in that march even believe god.
Reply 17
Having grown up in the west of Scotland, this sort of argument is cyclical, unwinnable and inescapable. Both sides angrily drag out scraps of evidence about a minority of people somewhere doing something as 'proof' that their whole religion/group/fanbase are animals/hateful/[insert adjective here]. It takes a remarkable stretch and some serious tint to the specs to then argue that when the same stuff has been perpetrated by their own side, it was either an isolated incident or under provocation. This sort of 'they started it/are worse' crap has been going back and forth for far too long, with kids that have read one book in their lives and been told stories by their uncles suddenly 'knowing' the truth. There's an otherwise intelligent guy in my office that can't take the blinkers off, there's someone else that refused to read what I suggested he read because 'why bother when I know it already?'. It's embarrassing for the whole country.

Some Rangers fans/protestants/republicans are morons. Some Celtic fans/catholics/nationalists are every bit as bad. Any time you try to voice an opinion that isn't the one held by the side the person you're talking is from, though, it's because you are, deep down, one of 'them'. It just makes whichever idiot is pointing the finger or claiming the moral high ground after someone from the other side embarrasses themselves look like a moron. The orange order isn't my favourite organisation in the world, but the crass generalisations help nobody. This thread, after barely a dozen replies, is already a lost cause.
Reply 18
lol, there are a lot of angry people on here. 4 negative ratings for my OP where I posted a video and denounced racism. Odd place this.

Original post by 0404343m
Having grown up in the west of Scotland, this sort of argument is cyclical, unwinnable and inescapable. Both sides angrily drag out scraps of evidence about a minority of people somewhere doing something as 'proof' that their whole religion/group/fanbase are animals/hateful/[insert adjective here]. It takes a remarkable stretch and some serious tint to the specs to then argue that when the same stuff has been perpetrated by their own side, it was either an isolated incident or under provocation. This sort of 'they started it/are worse' crap has been going back and forth for far too long, with kids that have read one book in their lives and been told stories by their uncles suddenly 'knowing' the truth. There's an otherwise intelligent guy in my office that can't take the blinkers off, there's someone else that refused to read what I suggested he read because 'why bother when I know it already?'. It's embarrassing for the whole country.

Some Rangers fans/protestants/republicans are morons. Some Celtic fans/catholics/nationalists are every bit as bad. Any time you try to voice an opinion that isn't the one held by the side the person you're talking is from, though, it's because you are, deep down, one of 'them'. It just makes whichever idiot is pointing the finger or claiming the moral high ground after someone from the other side embarrasses themselves look like a moron. The orange order isn't my favourite organisation in the world, but the crass generalisations help nobody. This thread, after barely a dozen replies, is already a lost cause.

Why on earth are you talking about football?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by TOSCS
lol, there are a lot of angry people on here. 4 negative ratings for my OP where I posted a video and denounced racism. Odd place this.

Yes, because we're entirely suspicious of your motivations.

Why on earth are you talking about football?

Because it is a major focus of sectarianism, bigotry and the divide in Scotland - not to mention Northern Ireland too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending